• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No Backswing Swing (NBS)

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
Anyone else read about this or tried it?

I read about it in the latest golf mag (sorry guys no link) and it looks very interesting. The concept of the NBS is to start the backswing set with your left arm parallel to the ground in the position you would be in with a correct backswing (they give you a umber of simple checkpoints to make sure you are set right and say it omly takes a few rehearsals to get it down pat). It then says you 'pump' your arms by turning your shoulders and torso, thus completing the last bit of the backswing and stretching the muscles needed for power, then start the downswing as normal. The theory is it eliminates the 70% of all swing mistakes that manifest in the backswing by taking the backswing out of play. From my experience I wold agree that the biggest source of mistakes in mist players is the first half of the backswing. The rest of the swing is natural, but that first part of the backswing has always been confusing for me.

From tests on golfers it appears to work well. The test subjects, particularly higher handicap golfers, had better distance and accuracy, and better numbers on launch stats. I haven't tried it yet but am keen to give it a go. It looks different, and would probably get a few comments on the first tee, but when the ball flew down the fairway on a great trajectory I don't think I'd mind a bit.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've swung this way for almost 15 years. I picked it up myself and found I hit the ball longer and almost perfect face contact. I'm just now changing away from it for awhile but I always have it to fall back on. It works. :)

OP
F

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
I've swung this way for almost 15 years. I picked it up myself and found I hit the ball longer and almost perfect face contact. I'm just now changing away from it for awhile but I always have it to fall back on. It works. :)

You've been a golf swing visionary all this time and didn't even realise. :)

BTW I had a look on the net and found the online version of the article I read about.

The No-Backswing Golf Swing | Instruction | Golf.com

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Years ago I didn't play enough to "control" a full backswing consistently. I got so frustrated I almost quit until one day I just decided to "play" and that's what I ended up with. :)

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I think that could be valuble to get players into the right motions on their backswing, but I don't like it for face value. I'd rather they said "take the club back square and get to here, then complete the swing." not "Start here."

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I seem to recall Ryan Moore needing to do something like this due to a wrist injury. From address, he would set his wrist angle in front of him before rotating his arms to parallel and then completing the swing.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Anyone else read about this or tried it?

I read about it in the latest golf mag (sorry guys no link) and it looks very interesting. The concept of the NBS is to start the backswing set with your left arm parallel to the ground in the position you would be in with a correct backswing (they give you a umber of simple checkpoints to make sure you are set right and say it omly takes a few rehearsals to get it down pat). It then says you 'pump' your arms by turning your shoulders and torso, thus completing the last bit of the backswing and stretching the muscles needed for power, then start the downswing as normal. The theory is it eliminates the 70% of all swing mistakes that manifest in the backswing by taking the backswing out of play. From my experience I wold agree that the biggest source of mistakes in mist players is the first half of the backswing. The rest of the swing is natural, but that first part of the backswing has always been confusing for me.

From tests on golfers it appears to work well. The test subjects, particularly higher handicap golfers, had better distance and accuracy, and better numbers on launch stats. I haven't tried it yet but am keen to give it a go. It looks different, and would probably get a few comments on the first tee, but when the ball flew down the fairway on a great trajectory I don't think I'd mind a bit.

I mentioned it in my Swing Video thread a while back - it saved my ballstriking overnight. See, back in May or so, I'd suddenly started hitting everything off the toe, losing 30-80 yards on each iron shot and I was at a loss as to what to do. So I tried the No-Backswing Swing (which in my case is really, stopping just short of parallel), and bam, I got my distance back. Now if I could only not duck-hook my drives and make more putts... :(

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I've seen the vid,its not a no backswing at all,its a backswing with a big pause

RustyL

Sep 20, 2007
No backswing-swing is what I do. I played baseball all my life..well half of it...this swing seemed natural to me. I even grip the shaft in a baseball grip, though I feel I need to get away from this grip. On good days I have driven the ball consistantly 250 to 270 yards,and sometime further. Sometimes it seems the more golf I play the worse I get, it drives me nuts. Today was a good day, I shot 84, my lowest score so far I believe. Tomorrow I'll shoot 100,and I'll bet 100 I do. :)

OP
F

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
Okay, So I'm standing on the last tee last Saturday waiting for the group ahead to putt out. Par 3, 192 metres, off the plates, into a 1-2 club wind. I decide on the 20 degree Cobra baffler hybrid. While waiting I got to thinking, one hole to go and my round is already shot so why not give the NBS a try. A few practice swings and I feel right to go. I stand over the ball and it doesn't feel right but I'm committed. I use the NBS and wham! Big block way right. But, the feel was good and the distance was good. I think it would take some practice to get the timing of the release right to hit it straight, but for a first swing without practice it didn't feel too bad. Just wish I could find some time to hit a bucket of balls and give it a proper go.

jambalaya

Geaux Tigers
Aug 6, 2007
I've used the Ryan Moore method of the no backswing before. He lifts his arms and sets his wrists first then turns the shoulder to the top. I learned this from my first golf instructor before I saw Ryan Moore do it though. I think it is a really good thing to use at the range and maybe playing a few rounds for people who are too quick on the backswing or simply get lost on the back swing. You may duff the first few time you do it but keep at it. It worked for me right away. I think it is also very good for someone fighting a reverse pivot. Quiets some of those body movements that cause the reverse pivot.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
But that is not a "no backswing", just a slow backswing. No backswing is where you only get about "level" with your arms and no higher or farther. (also turned slightly around body). :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
After reading the article in Golf Magazine, I tried it on the range...I was horrible at it...not surprising since my swing sux anyways...

🔥 Latest posts