• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No Glove?

danielson2047

Jun 21, 2006
Hey guys. Played my local 9 hole couse the other day. Shot a 45. Didn't realize i had actually hit 90 til i thought about it later on. my question is this, i golfed without a glove on (right hander) that day. I had the best day of golf i've ever had. question is this, do all of you wear a glove? i prob won't wear one again, it seems to mess with my grip pressure. Hit almost every shot straight, some not the right distance, but that'll come later. out of 45 shot, i only hit 3 poor ones (all shanks), but two of them i still saved for bogey. Whatdya all think abou the glove, is it a necessity? i only ask cuz all the pros wear em, old schoolers didn't though

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I like wearing a glove but take it off for wedge shots and putts. I feel like my hands slip on a full swing without one. It may be more mental than anything though. I'd save about $50 per year if I quit wearing a glove and about $1873 if I quit smoking. :)

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
I dont I used to but I lost it and havent noticed any difference at all.

chrisgaddy

Jun 22, 2005
I quit using a glove late last year. To combat sweat, I use this stuff called Dry Hands - you can pick it up at any golf store. It goes on as a very cooling liquid, but works wonders.

I don't believe Fred Couples wears a glove.

Rynamite

100 handicap and rising
Jan 17, 2006
I've been thinking about this. I always wear one because my hands sweat a lot. Sometimes I think it messes me up though because it stretches out when it gets wet and doesn't fit right. I might try playing around without it and see how I do. I would just hate to launch my driver down the fairway because my hands are wet.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Wet Weather Gloves work great if your hands sweat. That and Corded grips. I usually clip an extra glove on the front of the cart to air dry and switch every couple holes. Although with a wet weather glove I don't find a big need to switch. Interestingly enough, the Footjoys are better for wet weather, although I have found the Cheaper Wilson Wet Weather gloves which I hate for wet weather are better for sweaty hands.

I personally have trouble getting a decent grip without a glove, although I never wear one for chipping and putting.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
One of the best players I've ever played with refused to play with a glove. I like the tacky feel with my driver and irons but he claimed he got a better grip without a glove. I do think he had cord grips though. You couldn't argue with him since he was a scratch golfer!!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I prefer playing without a glove, but I make it a habit to wear one when I swing the long clubs. Wedges, chips and putting.... no glove.

Careful if using corded grips.....you can get blisters mighty quick.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I am a glove man. The glove allows me to hold the club with less grip pressure and tension in the arms which results in a smoother swing.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
danielson2047 said:
I had the best day of golf i've ever had.

I say if you think you play better without the glove then you are already better. Leave it off.

To answer your question - I never leave home without it. I even putt with it on. I don't care, I figure that if I can't hit the putt anyway, taking off my glove won't help. If I'm good enough to hit the putt, I'll hit it.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I use one. Like TM's R7 glove or FJ's SciFlex. Refrain from using it when putting and / or chipping/pitching, though.

FJ's new & improved 'RainGrip Extreme' is an absolute godsend in wet weather conditions. Used one last night and they are fantastic. Any golfer who doesn't have one in their bag is at a distinct disadvantage...!

Jun 24, 2006
I play with a glove all the time. Putt with it on to because my putter grip is a little slippery.

Irons have cord grips and I love the feel. The glove is a foot joy something or other. Wouldn't want to play without it.

I take it off after I hit a shot though.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
i nvr use a glove.... i could use it once in awhile, but w.e i find i have no feel with a glove on, and i can actually keep my hands fairly dry, even through sweat or rain.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I take it off from about 100 in, but that's mainly because I put a lot of emphasis on the feel of the shot.

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
I am very interested in what chrisgdiddy said about the cooling liquid. Does it really work? have never heard of it before, would be very interested to try it out sometime. What is it called?

🔥 Latest posts