• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Northern Trust Open @ Riviera CC

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Riviera has small greens. Based on that, I'm going to pick someone who has a good short game. Phil immediately comes to mind as the favorite. Freddy always seems to be in the hunt. Um, I'm going to go with Luke Donald...he's my pick to win. Bads is the defending champion and I noticed him up around the top of the leader board last week, so he'll probably be one of the favorites too.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Phil just holed out for birdie from the rough on the Par 3 16th! The only hole me bogey'd in the first round.

Holds a 2 stroke lead over Stewart Cink at the moment.

EDIT: Phil's FIR percentage is going to be low...hasn't hit one since i've been watching the live shot tracker...drives are around 250 and off the fairway...

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Carl Pettersson takes the lead with a birdie on the Par 5 17th after Phil takes a bogey on the 18th.

On a good note, Phil hit a nice 275yd drive into the fairway on the first hole(he started on 10)

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Go Lefty!! He's really surprised me in recent weeks. I thought this would be the year of his slide. Some thought that was.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I really hope Phil wins. I also hope he wins the U.S. Open too. For that matter I hope him and Tiger go on a two man tear all year long only to battle it out for the FedEx Cup. Throw Bubba Watson in that mix too. That would really get my attentions back into golf. Watching Dustin Johnson miss putts just doesn't thrill me. I think the youngsters to watch out for are Aaron Baddely, Rickie Fowler, and Charlie Wi.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Lefty is tied for the lead after the 3rd round. I wonder what Tiger's doing at the moment. Although he may not have planned to play this event IMO he really needs to be playing more tournament golf until he gets back to where he was. His final round plummet last week was very "un-
Tiger" like. Rather than sulking back to his practice facility, he needs to be rising to the challenge of trying to beat Lefty & the young guns coming through. Just my .02.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Lefty is tied for the lead after the 3rd round. I wonder what Tiger's doing at the moment. Although he may not have planned to play this event IMO he really needs to be playing more tournament golf until he gets back to where he was. His final round plummet last week was very "un-
Tiger" like. Rather than sulking back to his practice facility, he needs to be rising to the challenge of trying to beat Lefty & the young guns coming through. Just my .02.

I'm pulling for Lefty also. I hope he finds his groove again tomorrow.

I also agree how Tiger's prep stratergy doesn't seem to be working. I was shocked he slipped like he did last week, and was just as surprised he ins't playing this week. I guess he THINKS he knows what is best, or someone in his entourage thinks they know and is advicing him? Who knows at this point, I'd like to know what is rattling around in both his head and john Daly's heads these days. But I seriously doubt we will eer know the answers to those questions. And if we did know, it might be a tad bit on the scary side, :)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Wow, great finish to the tourny, a 3 -way playoff. I was hoping Lefty would pull it off, but it was still exciting to watch.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Wow, great finish to the tourny, a 3 -way playoff. I was hoping Lefty would pull it off, but it was still exciting to watch.

+1. Exactly what I was going to say. I hope lefty keeps it rolling though and doesn't slide off. It'd be nice to see him just go bananas at the U.S. Open.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Watched the final group play 18 and the payoff last night.

Great finish! Perfect hole to finish on too.

🔥 Latest posts