• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Not a big problem, but.........

JamesR

Interlocking Now
Sep 25, 2005
Im attaining more lag in my swing, which im happy with. But due to the lag, I now have to make a big flip wth my hands at impact, when I roll my wrists through, I get snappy (hooks). My ballflight is great, penetrating at the beginning, and floats out there by the end. But the flipping of the wrists is really bothering me, heres a video from Swing Academy. Any help is appreciated.

SwingAcademy.com

Thanks Guys

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
Im attaining more lag in my swing, which im happy with. But due to the lag, I now have to make a big flip wth my hands at impact, when I roll my wrists through, I get snappy (hooks). My ballflight is great, penetrating at the beginning, and floats out there by the end. But the flipping of the wrists is really bothering me, heres a video from Swing Academy. Any help is appreciated.

SwingAcademy.com

Thanks Guys

It seems to me that your arms and hands are losing the race with your body. That is, by the time your body is in hitting position, your arms and hands are trying to catch up and you flip your hands to compensate. I struggle with this quite often myself. I got around it by making a shorter backswing, and using a drill that I got from the Hogan v. Snead WWoG. Basically, the drill makes your body develop a sense of timing so that when your body is in hitting position, your arms and hands are as well. Get to the top of your backswing, and start the downswing with your knees and your hips rotating, with your right elbow tucked close to your side. You retain your wrist angle while rotating your hips around, but when your body is in hitting position, your arms and hands are in a position where you can release the club. If this description is hard to follow, I apologize. I am a hack who struggles with the very thing you are, and at midnight I lose all coherent vocabulary, particularly in written form. :)

I'll see if I can find a video of it.

Edit: Here's a video of what I mentioned. About 17 seconds in is the pertinent part. YouTube - Ben Hogan Golf Swing

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I've got the same problem, and I also hate having to rotate my wrists to square up the clubface. My body movement feels great and I'm coming in on the right swing plane, but my hands aren't naturally squaring up. I'll be watching this thread curiously.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You've been doing this since the 1st swingvid you put up. Actively turning the hands over that agressively is going to lead to big hooks when the timing is off. If you work more on passive hands and wrists, let the club swing left along with the body rotating, there is nothing to think about. Take a look at what's going on at the same point in the swing with you and Tiger. See how he is extended down the line? He's letting his rotation turn the clubhead over, not using a handsy release.

swingcompare.JPG
swingcompare.JPG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
That first pic reminds me of a certain Canadian guy I know, Lyle something or other.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
...Like the Cubs hat!.............your body/hips are turning way before you arms and hands are coming through the ball...........if I did that, I
d be out on my back for a week.........but I'm fat and old......

🔥 Latest posts