• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Not sure if i like my callaway Big bertha 460

bugman53

Aug 1, 2008
I bought A Callaway BB460 at dicks to replace my old Pro select black plasma. It just seems hit really really short. I used to hit 300 average now im hitting 250-280 at the most. I have not taken my old driver to the range to get a back to back comparison though. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I normally hit a slight draw off the tee <o:p></o:p>
My club head speed is 100-105mph<o:p></o:p>
Stiff shaft<o:p></o:p>
9* <o:p></o:p>
I am thinking about taking it back to dicks to see if I can exchange it for another driver. Any recommendations. I’m looking for something with some more distance and will let me work the ball a little more. <o:p></o:p>
What do you guys think?<o:p></o:p>

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I had a X460 tour and it was not long either. Not sure how much you paid or how much you want to pay but for the money probably the Sumo (not square) is a good club and pretty cheap. If Dick's carried Ping I'd say the G10 but they don't. More expensive clubs that would definitely be longer would be the FT-5 and FT-i. There's some deals on the older model TaylorMades that might work better for you. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
My guess is it's the shaft. I hit a BB460 with a Graf Blue in it and it smoked the ball.

If it has the stock shaft in it, see if you can't swing something with an upgraded shaft. It might do the trick!

R35

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I bought A Callaway BB460 at dicks to replace my old Pro select black plasma. It just seems hit really really short. I used to hit 300 average now im hitting 250-280 at the most. I have not taken my old driver to the range to get a back to back comparison though. ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
I normally hit a slight draw off the tee <O:p></O:p>
My club head speed is 100-105mph<O:p></O:p>
Stiff shaft<O:p></O:p>
9* <O:p></O:p>
I am thinking about taking it back to dicks to see if I can exchange it for another driver. Any recommendations. I’m looking for something with some more distance and will let me work the ball a little more. <O:p></O:p>
What do you guys think?<O:p></O:p>

With a swing speed of 100-105 you weren't averaging 300yds unless your driving range goes downhill. Way downhill.

OP
bugman53

bugman53

Aug 1, 2008
Well it’s been 2-3 years since I’ve played until a few months ago my memory is probably lying to me. My best drive ever was at azalea sands in myrtle beach at 337(Gps carts) sea level with my old driver and remember quite a few around the 310 mark. But if I did an actual average then its probably not that high. What should I be driving with a 105mph swing speed? sorry i not trying to argue I just love to learn. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I did a thing at the driving range and they had some kind of radar and the max swing speed was in the 120's but out of control and with ~105-110 I could control the drive. <o:p></o:p>
Tell me more about different shafts. I’ve been playing a few years but all I know about shafts are the stiffness. I’ve heard some things about torque and kick point but really no nothing about them. Any links to read about the differences. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Also with my old driver It was a 10.5* loft R flex(to soft) and I sky the balls so this time I got a 9* stiff flex and the ball flight is lower and I like that but maby it’s a touch to low or I am just used to seeing my balls take off like a jet.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I also called dicks and they said they would not exchange the club. but the online store said they would if I got it offline(got it at local store). Go figure. Anyway, I will buy a new driver but if a shaft change would help then I am all for that. <o:p></o:p>

OP
bugman53

bugman53

Aug 1, 2008
I sure you guyes are right about my distance my memory is probaly lieing to me...

OP
bugman53

bugman53

Aug 1, 2008
I just checked my shaft it is a NVS stiff 55 aldila.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
That's not a real NVS. Sorry. Callaway will buy a bunch of second-hands on margin, or get off-spec ones cheap and throw them in. It's probably close, but it's not as good as it ought to be.

I think the new BB460 is crap. I hate the look of it, the feel of it... could be the shaft, I suppose.

Graphite shafts can differ almost infinitely in how they respond to the swing; how flexible they are, where they are most flexible, weight, torque (resistance to twisting), etc.

Fitting someone to a shaft takes time, and we could RECOMMEND a shaft for you to try, but the chances it will be the perfect shaft for you are probably .01%. There are so many variables.

Something stiffer is a start, especially a stiffer tip. If your SS is 100-105, you can handle a "stiff flex", but be warned, different companies have different definitions of stiff. There is no standard.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I think this one is more accurate. Sonic Boom Golf

The one you posted Wi, no offense, jumps a ton when it gets to "touring pros" and "long drive pros". I hate to tell you guys but Phil and VJ are putting were putting drives out there way over 300 and they are not a whole lot more than 115mph. SS, 120 at the very, very most.

BTW - hit the BB along with your old driver. As the other guys said, it's probably the shaft mostly.

OP
bugman53

bugman53

Aug 1, 2008
I took them both to the range today and i am hitting my old driver 20-25 yads farther but have a lot less forgiveness but can work the ball im just a little bit rusty....or coroded..LOL IE a few hooks and slices.

The big difference i noticed was the ball flight The the callaway it just goes up straight and hangs there a second and drops.

The pro slect it stays kinds low for the first 100-150yards and then starts climing a little and seams to stay up longer before it starts to drop.

The difference

Pro slect bb460
UST R flex shaft(to soft)
10.5*
Cheap and old club cira 1998
Never seen a nother one

Callaway bb460
Stock "Nvs 65" stiff
9*

Here is a ruff idea of what is going on the red line is the old driver. What do you think?
golf swing.jpg

OP
bugman53

bugman53

Aug 1, 2008
Now what is the better ball flight?

I did hit the callaway 280ish Carry on a few shots

Also the r flex in the old driver has no were the control as the callaway.

Is the soft shaft giving me the extra distance with the drawback of less control?

I dont know if build has anything to do with distance but im 185lbs 6'3" and in pretty good shape.

So i think i am going to have the callawat fitted and stick with that for a wile.

PS sorry about my spelling.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.