• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Nothing feels like a 'Zuno!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I scored a gorgeous set of Mizuno MP57s for almost nothing. The is a small ding on the sole of the PW, not visible at address, outside that they are mint. I took them out yesterday for a spin. A few observations:
  • They look amazing, I feel like a Total Playa!
  • The lofts are incredibly weak compared to my TM irons, I am losing 1.5 clubs in distance.
  • The feel is butter when you hit the sweet spot. And hand stingers when you don't.
  • The flight was lovely when I figured out the adjustments. They have Nippon shafts, I didn't get enough time with them to really get any feel for them, but they do feel nice.
I'm not sure what to do with these. I could flip them and make a bit of cash. Or I could hold onto them for fun days on the links. I can't see myself gaming them, but who knows.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Played a couple sets of MP32's. Had a set of MP29's many, many years ago. As you attest, when hit on the sweet spot you get goosebumps it feels so good. Catch one a little thin and your wrists will hurt for a week. The SIL 'stole' my last set of MP32's. He pretty well wore the grooves off. Went to Titleist and never could play them well. Went back to Mizzys and has never looked back.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think I’ve played a set from every major brand EXCEPT Mizuno. I might just need to find me a set. Almost pulled the trigger on a set of MP25’s 2 years ago but was worried about not being able to hit them. Might be time to rethink that!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I think Mizuno, like everyone else, has adopted the stronger lofts in their more contemporary sets, but go back 6-8 years ago and the lofts are all traditional. If you can face the drop-off in yardage, then they are a lovely club to try. I'm thinking of getting the lofts strengthened a tad, wondering what the impact of that might be. They are forged so shouldn't be an issue. Even tweaking them a couple of degrees stronger might make them a bit more appealing for me to game.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I think Mizuno, like everyone else, has adopted the stronger lofts in their more contemporary sets, but go back 6-8 years ago and the lofts are all traditional. If you can face the drop-off in yardage, then they are a lovely club to try. I'm thinking of getting the lofts strengthened a tad, wondering what the impact of that might be. They are forged so shouldn't be an issue. Even tweaking them a couple of degrees stronger might make them a bit more appealing for me to game.
FYI, they do not have a drop off in yardage. They just have a different number on the bottom of the club for the same degree of loft. If you can not get over that mental hurdle, put a piece of tape over the club number and write the number of the next club on the tape. Your PW becomes your gap wedge, 9 iron is now a PW, 8 iron is now a 9 iron....etc. Don’t let those pesky marketers win.;)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
FYI, they do not have a drop off in yardage. They just have a different number on the bottom of the club for the same degree of loft. If you can not get over that mental hurdle, put a piece of tape over the club number and write the number of the next club on the tape. Your PW becomes your gap wedge, 9 iron is now a PW, 8 iron is now a 9 iron....etc. Don’t let those pesky marketers win.;)
Exactly! Yesterday's sets of 3 thru PW are today's sets of 4 thru GW. Iron play is not how far, but how consistent.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I play the JPX 850 forged and they are a couple of degrees weaker than the newer models. When I was younger, I used to care if my buddy was playing an eight iron while I was playing a seven but not anymore. I love how these clubs feel and as long as I know how far each clubs goes I'm fine. At age 70 it's all about how many, not how. Occasionally, I think about upgrading since my irons are almost six years old. Then I tell myself why change if you like what you have now. Anyway, I agree with the OP . "Zunos" are the best.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country

Be reminded about the effect on bounce when you strengthen the lofts.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I played a set of MX-23's for a few years. Possibly the sweetest feeling set of irons I've ever played. Really don't remember why I got rid of them, but I did. I would play them again in a heartbeat, and they are an old model.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Be reminded about the effect on bounce when you strengthen the lofts.
What happens? Less bounce? Maybe not a bad thing for links golf and tight lies.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
What happens? Less bounce? Maybe not a bad thing for links golf and tight lies.
Yes. Bend to stronger lofts and you will reduce bounce. Clubs more apt to digging... if you are a "digger" and not a "picker".

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yes. Bend to stronger lofts and you will reduce bounce. Clubs more apt to digging... if you are a "digger" and not a "picker".

Less bounce and I think it will make them look less offset, can’t quite remember though.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Been gaming my MP-52’s for quite some time and I agree wholeheartedly, nothing feels like them!! I personally could care less what number is on the bottom, when I hit my ball closer to that little hole in the ground, with the flag coming out of it.

🔥 Latest posts