• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Now i'm even more confused.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Played a rd today after work & avoided the driver like the plague. Used 3w & 5 w the most. I have been hitting my 3 w about 200 or so, sometimes just a little bit more....that's carry distance. My 5 w has been somewhere around 180 yds for me usually.

3 w has the stock Burner shaft in regular flex, 5 w has the stock TM MAS 2 shaft in stiff flex.

Anyhoo, the thing I am confused about is I haven't yet driven a ball over 200 yds with this 5 w yet today there as a 203 yd par 3 & I just had a feeling I would nail the 3 wood too hard & send it over the green so I choose the 5. Hit it perfectly & the ball struck the green & stuck about 5' from the pin.

The thing I am confused about is, maybe I actually should be playing stiff shafts since I have been really hitting this club well...been my go-to weapon. But my swing speed....at least according to those goofy swingspeed stiks is only in the 90 range which would indicate R flex. or maybe it was just a lucky punch of a shot?

The more I learn about this game, the more I realize I don't know anything.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you are not noticing major differences in the shafts then I'd stay stick with what you have for now. I can hit some shafts in an Rflex pretty well, others I hit very high and have poor control with. For instance I have a 200steel 5wood with a steel R80 shaft in it. I carry that club nearly 220 but pretty high. My current 5W has a stiffer graphite shaft and I hit it nearly as high but longer and more controllable, ballflight is more boring.

Get that driver working again. :laugh:

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I have noticed that the clubs I have with a R flex shaft tend to really skyrocket, while the S flex club has a much lower & somewhat more in control flight path.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Nice shot. Did you make the putt? Remember the stiffness of the correct shaft has a component of swing speed and swing tempo. If you a tweener a stiff or regular shaft may be right depending on make and particular club. Also consider distance / trajectory ratio you wish to play with. Too soft a shaft and I tend to lose distance control and greater lateral dispersion.

Remember distance on hits a club is a range. Example my 8 iron I average 150 yards but any one shot, all environmental factors equal I can expect it to be within a range of 146 yards to 154 yards. The more skilled you are the more that "stock" range narrows.

It sounds like you have a good sense of "feel". Not hitting the 3 wood was the right choice even though the "numbers" were right. I'd go with your "feel" vs an one size fits all scale.

The more I know the less I know is a statement you can hear me muttering religiously. Humbling isn't it.:)

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Which do you score better with. Sky rocket or lower trajectory?

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
It sounds like you have a good sense of "feel". Not hitting the 3 wood was the right choice even though the "numbers" were right. I'd go with your "feel" vs an one size fits all scale.

The more I know the less I know is a statement you can hear me muttering religiously. Humbling isn't it.:)

Sometimes the feel works out well, played a course the other day & the card claimed it was 151 yds, but it sure as hell didn't look that short to me. I went 1 club higher than I normally would for that shot & it landed dead nuts in the center of the green. Then just for kicks I moved up to womens tee which claimed 104 yds, my wife was with me & I used my pitching wedge. I'll be damned if I didn't set the 2nd ball down with 18" of the 1st one.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Which do you score better with. Sky rocket or lower trajectory?
Usually the lower works out better for me.
But I even send a lot of my iron shots sky high also....which looks cool as hell but surely costs distance.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.