• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NS Amateur

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
I have been playing in the Nova Scotia amateur this week...done two rounds, barley made the cut. Party to blame is the fact that work didn't give me my days off and I am working back shift every night. Shot a horrible 82 the first round on a tough seaview course then in 45km winds today shot a respectable 77 but finished 3 over on the last 3. I am 4th last in the field playing par 5's at +7 for 6 holes but even on par 3's.

Player Scorecards

First day 37 putts but drove the ball well...second day grinded better. Hit everything poor.

I tee off at 8 am tomorow so hopefully I can shoot a nice round to get me in the top 30 going into the final round

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I have been playing in the Nova Scotia amateur this week...done two rounds, barley made the cut. Party to blame is the fact that work didn't give me my days off and I am working back shift every night. Shot a horrible 82 the first round on a tough seaview course then in 45km winds today shot a respectable 77 but finished 3 over on the last 3. I am 4th last in the field playing par 5's at +7 for 6 holes but even on par 3's.

Player Scorecards

First day 37 putts but drove the ball well...second day grinded better. Hit everything poor.

I tee off at 8 am tomorow so hopefully I can shoot a nice round to get me in the top 30 going into the final round

I'll be in Cape Breton in a few weeks. Will be playing Lingan, Seaview, Bell Bay, Highlands and Dundee. Are you interested in getting a game together? I can prob play out in Glace Bay at that goat track you call a golf course if you want ;)

Let me know. I leave in 2 weeks.

Seaview is my FIL's home course, and I am very familiar with it. I am surprised that Leon is not under par there. Have the conditions been tough?

Jun 24, 2006
Ahh nevermind..Seaview. Never heard of it actually.

I think we have about 4 people in NS that post on ST..we should have a get together:).

OP
J

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
I'll be in Cape Breton in a few weeks. Will be playing Lingan, Seaview, Bell Bay, Highlands and Dundee. Are you interested in getting a game together? I can prob play out in Glace Bay at that goat track you call a golf course if you want ;)

Let me know. I leave in 2 weeks.

Seaview is my FIL's home course, and I am very familiar with it. I am surprised that Leon is not under par there. Have the conditions been tough?
I'm up for a game anywhere. Leon isn't playng well this year, he just isn't putting the time into it. The rough is a joke, really easy to advance the ball, the greens are firm and fast down grain...just leave yourself up grain up hill putts and you can make some birdies. A lot of people are getting confused by the grain and the slopes in the green.

Lingan the amateur is at next year..I am exempt for it so even if they do have a qualifier I won't have to qualify.

OP
J

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Were are they playing that this year Jason?

NSGA Jr. Provincial is next week. That should be fun.
Asprey Valley or something like that...it starts on Monday. I played with a really good junior the first round, had a nice swing and hit it straight.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I'm up for a game anywhere. Leon isn't playng well this year, he just isn't putting the time into it. The rough is a joke, really easy to advance the ball, the greens are firm and fast down grain...just leave yourself up grain up hill putts and you can make some birdies. A lot of people are getting confused by the grain and the slopes in the green.

Lingan the amateur is at next year..I am exempt for it so even if they do have a qualifier I won't have to qualify.

The amateur is at Lingan next year? I might try and get into it. I wonder if they will take USGA entries?

OP
J

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
The amateur is at Lingan next year? I might try and get into it. I wonder if they will take USGA entries?
I'm not sure...Lingan will be torn apart. I am playing in the central homebuilders next weekend and plan on shooting two sub 72 rounds. I have to take my tempo from my home course to other courses. I am much more comfortable at Lingan anyway.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
VT- If the NSGA is the same as the BCGA, you can only qualify in the supplemental qualifier the week of, I dont believe you can play the normal qualifiers unless you are a resident of the province.

Then again, with your family being there you could pull that off most likely anyways.

OP
J

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Pi55ed away another round. I hit 13 greens in regulation with 4 3 putts. Started with a nice par on 10, then 3 putted 11, par on 12, double on 13 when I blocked an easy teeshot with a 5 wood, least commited swing of the year. Nice par on a tough downhill par 3 on 14, nice par on 15 then I hit the best iron of the day on the tough uphill 16th...had 155 uphill into the wind and flushed an 8 iron that landed 2 feet from the pin...caught a slope and went off the green a little to the left. 3 putt from 14 feet uphill. Next hole snaped my drive still had a sw in which I hit 30 feet short and 3 putted from. 18 I blocked my drive behind a tree....chipped out to 100 and hit another poor wedge to 20 feet and two putted for a horrible 42 on the back (my front)_

On the back 9 it started to rain and I put my rain glove on and I was a different golfer. I almost chiped a 12 foot birdie in on 1, missed a straight up hill birdie on 2 from 14 feet. Brided 3 after nearly driving the green. lipped out on the par 5 4th from 8 feet. Missed a straight up hill par putt from 6 feet on 5, had a nice two putt on number 7 then I hit hit a 9 iron chunky on the par 4 8'th hit a nice chip to 5 feet and missed the putt. On the 9th I hit it short chipped up to 10 feet then 3 putted for a double. I need some short game help.

Overall I think I will shoot a fairly good score tomorow. For the first time in the tourney I feel confident to aim right, something I was guarding against first 3 days.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Keep pluggin away Jason, those scores look HIGH, +19 was the cut? Is there a quality of player dropoff somewhere in there? Or is the course just really that tough?

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
If you're 3-putting that much, you need to concentrate ONLY on speed until your confidence comes back. If dying the ball in the hole isn't your style, you can still think aggressive and try to make putts with the goal of not screwing yourself over if it happens to miss. There are worse things to do than go for 2-putts every once in a while.

OP
J

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
If you're 3-putting that much, you need to concentrate ONLY on speed until your confidence comes back. If dying the ball in the hole isn't your style, you can still think aggressive and try to make putts with the goal of not screwing yourself over if it happens to miss. There are worse things to do than go for 2-putts every once in a while.
I try to lagg everything...you don't understand I am one of the worst putters under a 10 handicap anywhere. The scary thing is I read greens near perfect I know exactly how hard and where to hit it. I can't control my putting motion. When I start hitting lines I make everything.

OP
J

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Keep pluggin away Jason, those scores look HIGH, +19 was the cut? Is there a quality of player dropoff somewhere in there? Or is the course just really that tough?
Weak field.. Cut is usually 157...still the course is playing tough...Noone will be close to under par by the end of it.

🔥 Latest posts