• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Numbers don't lie.. I'm a hacker...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
So I've been serious about wanting to get good at golf. I played years ago, maybe 3-4 times a year. Just hackin with whatever clubs I rented/borrowed.

April of this year rolls around, and I've played a few more time and wanted to play seriously. Bought a used set of clubs, and beinga natural ho' started dealin' and wheelin' and tried some other stuff out.

I've got my bag set(yeah right) and I've been playing every week, and every weekend. Averaging atleast 27 holes a week since May, give or take for some weekends I was busy.

I play right. I take my stroke and distance. I add for my drops. If I top it, I play it, woods, I re tee and hit 3, the whole deal.. Obviously if I suck atleast be honest, and when I'm good I can be legit.

I wrote it all down today, played 18 after work with some other guys I met around the 4th hole. Started off great, +3 after 4.. Went down and came back up good at the end.

I shot a 90.. Par 72. Decent score lately. Been playing with 90ish for a few weeks now.

Score:90
Birdies:1
GIR:8
FIR:11 (big time for me)
Putts:33
Sand saves:2
Penalty: 1 stroke(had to take a drop, ball was behind a tee in the brush and unhittable)

Chipped one in from 20 yards, had a 1 putt from the fringe from around 18 feet.

GIR was good I thought I missed a par 3- 175yard just right for the GIR.

My second shots were a bust mostly. I need work with downhill lies, and work with my 5wood off the deck in said lies.

My par 5's KILLED me. Bogey and Double bogey on two that I can remember were just crap.

My putting saved me some serious shots, and my chipping with in and out depending on the hole.

I'm okay being a hacker.. I just might hold off on the betting for another 10 strokes I need to shave. :)

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
90 is better than you think. You've identified some issues; work on them. I've shot a 78 and a 100-something this year, so s*** happens.

Just remember- It doesn't matter what clubs you used to make par, it only matters that you made par. There's nothing on your scorecard that says you should hit your 7 iron 165 yards. If you make par with driver, 4 iron, chip, putt, and someone else does it with driver, 9 iron, putt, putt, you're tied. Don't overswing. Control the ball.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
They guys I joined while playing noticed something today too..

I set up too square with my shoulders. I'm not lowering my right shoulder like I should, and I'm too rigid.. Told me it prevented me from getting the shoulder/hip turn on my backswing.. Kinda noticed I felt OTT when I DIDN'T lower my shoulder a little more.

Helped my driver.. I've also started getting good hip clearing, and doing it fast.. Scared me... I grabbed my 5 iron, I was 165 yards or so.. I hit it PURE as can be, so smooth, I didn't even feel it. I expected it to be close.. Nope... WAYYYYYY past where I thought I normally hit it.

I also played smarter.. Instead of trying to smash everything and go for the gusto, I'd lay up.. 240 out? I'd grab my 3 iron, and put myself with a little chip/flop shot on to the dance floor. Instead of grabbing my 3 wood and swinging for the fence.

By the way.. That 51* wedge was JUST what the doctor ordered. I was making mini pot bunkers of the greens today with the spin.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Good to hear :)

It's amazing what you can do when you have 3 smooth swing wedge distances, for example, 100, 90, 80 yards. You can lay up to a pretty wide window (80-100yds out) and KNOW you can stick it to 5 feet on a good strike. I'm all about that now. Just ridiculous to overswing and hit a shot to within 40 yards of a green. Hit it to within 80 and lob it up there like a damn dart.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
There is nothing wrong with a legit 90. That puts you in the top 10% of golfers in the world I read somewhere. Like Silver said, you've identified your weaknesses so you know what to work on. :thumbs up:

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
My chipping must have been better, or my putting..

Because I didn't have but 1... yes 1... 3 putt. All were 2 or 1 putts.. I kept it all close to the pin, or stayed pin high if I could control it.

Thanks for the encouragement. I want to bust 85 now.. atleast 5 times before I go for more.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
theres nothing wrong with bogey golf.......If I shoot bogey golf or a few strokes better than bogey golf, I'm happy!

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Dont get me wrong, I'm no unhappy. I'm never going to be satisfied though.. I want to be better.

It pains me to think that just minor work, and that drive into the rough could have saved a stroke.. Or that putt I pulled just left and lipped out would have been in if I had slowed down.

Or the chip that came short and cost me a stroke. Or the 50ft putt I have to make for birdie because I'm crappy at chipping.

It's little stuff.. If I had more GIR instead of the 8, I might have shaved strokes. I had probably 8 topped shots that went under 100 yards..

I could have busted an 85 if I was doing better..

Thats what I love about it.. As long as I keep my par 5's under 7, and don't shoot anything higher, I'm happy honestly. :)

🔥 Latest posts