• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Odyssey Black Series

Adam14

Apr 11, 2009
Does anyone have an opinion on Odyssey's Black Series putters? Long story short, I got a new set of irons(Titleist AP1s), took my old set (older Cobras) to Golfsmith and traded them in along with my old putter(older 2-ball Odyssey). Wanted a new putter, I think I putted with every one they had in there. The one that felt the best was the Black Series #2. Now I know putter preference varies and largely depends on what feels best to the individual using it....but I'm just curious to see if anyone has used any of the Black Series before to get your thoughts. Mine isn't course-tested yet, but will be today. I can't find too many reviews online, as most are for the White Hot line. Any thoughts?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Now I know putter preference varies and largely depends on what feels best to the individual using it...

You said it. Putter preference is like underwear... some like boxers... some like whitey tighties... some go commando. If you can putt well with a block of iron welded to the end of a piece of rebar then go with it.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
If I were going with a Cally putter, the black series is what I'd use. Very nice putters when I tried them out. :)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
If I were going with a Cally putter, the black series is what I'd use. Very nice putters when I tried them out. :)
If I ever look to switch putters I would go with the Black Series i, although this coming from someone who terrified of trying one because I don't want to create any unnecessary controversial thought in my putting game. :laugh:

To the OP, was your old one a White Hot? Realize the Black Series is a milled putter but the do have the i series with a soft insert. I would have a hard time ever adapting to a milled face or anying but the white hot style insert for that matter.

OP
Adam14

Adam14

Apr 11, 2009
If I ever look to switch putters I would go with the Black Series i, although this coming from someone who terrified of trying one because I don't want to create any unnecessary controversial thought in my putting game. :laugh:

To the OP, was your old one a White Hot? Realize the Black Series is a milled putter but the do have the i series with a soft insert. I would have a hard time ever adapting to a milled face or anying but the white hot style insert for that matter.

Yeah my old one had an insert on the face of it. I know the milled putter may take some getting used to, but honestly I don't think I ever got the feel for my older putter. I just went with my gut in getting the milled black series...we'll see how it works out, but I think I'm going to like it. I even felt better about it than the Scotty's I tried out (Blasphemy, I know!)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I will agree, putter recommendations are like me picking out your lunch. I might be able to recommend something you'd like, but if you're partial to something else, you're not gonna be satisfied.

That being said, I used a black #7 for a long stint last summer. I really like the feel of the insert. My problems lend themselves to leaving putts short, so I decided to go to a full milled putter head to try and alleviate that. Well, the putter is more consistent without an insert, but I'm still shitty. :D

That being said, I would bag a Black I series easily. Great feeling putters that roll the ball very well. Can't argue with what works.

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I played a black series #1 most of last year. Mine was the milled face not the insert. I really felt no difference between the 2 faces however, both were extremely soft and the ball didnt come of the face very fast. Like Rock, this led to a lot of putts coming up short. This is also the reason I will most likely be dropping the #9 I currently play. I just have a lot of trouble getting the ball to the hole with Odyssey putters.

🔥 Latest posts