• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Off topic, any advice would be great...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sorry, I would post this in the "Non Gokf Discussion" board, but no one reads it. ;)

I've decided that I am an old man. Yep, it's time to sell the two door car. Sure, chicks dig it, it's sporty, but it's time to start thinking about the future.

Mainly, more golf clubs in the trunk!

I'm currently driving an 02 Honda Accord Special Edition (Canadian only, not available in the US or other countries). It's a 5 speed, two door coupe, Midnight Black Pearl, power sunroof, locks, windows, mirrors (heated as well), heated seats, leather. Pretty much stacked up. It in immaculate shape as well.

However, i've decided to allot more funds away from a car purchase, as I've decided that it really is something that gets me from A to B. I've narrowed my choices to the following:

05 Mazda 3 Sport Wagon, 2.3L, 170HP, 5 speed, loaded
05 Toyota Corolla XRS, 1.8L, 170HP, 6 speed, loaded
05 Toyota Matrix XRS, 1.8L, 170HP, 6 speed, loaded
05 Subaru Impreza RS Wagon, 2.5L, 217HP, 5 speed, loaded
05 Nissan Altima 2.5S, 2.5L, 175HP, 5 speed, loaded

Anyone have any favorites? Or, other choices? As you can see, i'm an import guy, so no domestics will make the grade. Sorry.

Thanks guys, i just have no idea how to narrow it down.

R35

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
Rock,

Not familiar with all these cars but I can vouch that Subaru makes a European-quality car without the European price tag. Plus it has heaps more horsepower than the others!

Or you could go for one of these....

Handy!
lambro-6.jpg

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Go for the Toyotas, as they are quite reliable.
I have a Camry LE 2002, quite inexpensive, 160 HP with a V4, but accelerates like a V6, the trunk is quite forgiving. It eats up about 10l/100km for city driving, and uses much less on the highway. The downside is the 60 liter fuel tank, but the motor is quite efficient.
I see you like manual. I think they also make manual, probably a 5 speeder.

If you need to choose between a 4X4 and a break, go for a break, they use much less fuel and carries a whole bunch (Volvo, but not quite reliable...).

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
another vote for the subie

picked up a forester last december. solid, reliable, and a blast to drive.

in general they have a bit more horsepower and lot more torque than similarly priced cars. besides that you get all wheel drive to boot. i know you live back east (right?) so that may come in handy in the winter time. for me it means peace of mind on ski trips to tahoe.

be careful though because the specs you listed are not for the RS but for the WRX. the RS is a NA boxer 4 (non-turbo) which kicks out something like 160hp or so. for that size car it's fine but the WRX is a whole different beast. looking at the other cars on your list i suspect that it is the WRX on your list and not the RS. i warn you though, if you test drive the WRX your entire list will go out the window... the window of the WRX! :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Get a Toyota

My brother in law in Houston has been Service Manager for auto dealerships for 25 years. He has worked in a variety of dealerships including Pontiac, Chevrolet, Volvo, BMW, Porsche and Lexus.

He is currently Service Mgr for two huge Lexus dealerships and has been recognized as one of the top Svc Managers in the world by Toyota Motor Company. For his performance, he has been flown to Toyota world HQ in Japan twice and has had the honor of meeting Mr. Toyoda (correct spelling) himself - in HIS office in Houston. Mr. Toyoda came to meet him!!

Robert has indicated for many years, that the finest auto you can buy is made by Toyota. If you are poor, buy a five year old Corolla. If you have the bucks, get a new top of the line Lexus...He has told me that a Toyota powertrain (with oil and fluid changes) will easily last until 250,000 miles without any trouble and will often go to 500,000 miles without problems.

I am a big fan of Consumer Reports magazine and their most recent auto issue listed the Most Reliable Used Cars. There were 13 Toyota/Lexus models listed. Honda had a few as did Nissan and Mazda. There were very very few domestic brands listed and I can see why you are not a fan of domestic (US) vehicles.

Sorry about the editorial but In the Industry, they are the most respected name in the globe....Find a sporty one and buy it...

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Chem,

Thanks for bringing that up. The Impreza is 165HP, not the 217.

Must have had WRX on the mind! :)

R35

PS>.....guys, i still need a car that might pick up SOME chicks.....not garbage....

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
Chem,

Thanks for bringing that up. The Impreza is 165HP, not the 217.

Must have had WRX on the mind! :)

R35

PS>.....guys, i still need a car that might pick up SOME chicks.....not garbage....

Rock, easy solution.

Create an audio tape that plays "Acura TL" on continuous loop. Before you go to sleep, put the tape in your radio and push play.

The following morning, you should have a better idea of what you really want.

P.S. Find a sexy female voice to do the recording. Larry Flynt will not do.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo,

I'm all about the Japanese cars. I've had an Acura Integra, Honda Civic Hatchback, Eagle Talon Tsi (The mitsubishi powered version) and my new Accord in my lifetime and have driven many cars inbetween and have always loved Japanese. My parents-in-law have an 04 Camry and love it.

Pretty much the only import i wouldn't buy is a Volkswagon. They are such terrible cars. I know many people that have been lured in by the good advertising and decent looking cars only to find that the fit and finish as well as reliability in their cars is to be desired. They really don't make a decent car (save the diesel cars, those are great). Just my opinion, based on experiences that I have seen first hand.

I love Honda cars, but they don't make a wagon. They do, however, have a full sized Accord Wagon coming out in 06, which would be sweet.

I've always been a fan of Subaru, but when I test drove the Impreza, it didn't blow me away. It was nice, and all wheel drive is an asset living in western Canada, but it's still not tops on the list.

I'm still undecided. Maybe i'll let the wife decide. :sobbash:

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
rockford35 said:
Bravo,

I'm all about the Japanese cars. I've had an Acura Integra, Honda Civic Hatchback, Eagle Talon Tsi (The mitsubishi powered version) and my new Accord in my lifetime and have driven many cars inbetween and have always loved Japanese. My parents-in-law have an 04 Camry and love it.

Pretty much the only import i wouldn't buy is a Volkswagon. They are such terrible cars. I know many people that have been lured in by the good advertising and decent looking cars only to find that the fit and finish as well as reliability in their cars is to be desired. They really don't make a decent car (save the diesel cars, those are great). Just my opinion, based on experiences that I have seen first hand.

I love Honda cars, but they don't make a wagon. They do, however, have a full sized Accord Wagon coming out in 06, which would be sweet.

I've always been a fan of Subaru, but when I test drove the Impreza, it didn't blow me away. It was nice, and all wheel drive is an asset living in western Canada, but it's still not tops on the list.

I'm still undecided. Maybe i'll let the wife decide. :sobbash:

R35

A wise move that will lead to enhanced matrimonial relations...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rock,

Our local news recently reported another of those consumer surveys. This had the 6 best & six worse in terms of customer complaints. 3 of the best six were Toyotas & 3 of the worse 6 were Dodges.

From a pure looks point of view I really like the new Altimas. In any case, achieiving the point a to point b mentality will save you a fortune over the years.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
after our 83 oldsmobile cutlass was stolen right out of my mom's work parking lot, that has security and all, we got a 2005 toyota camry, and it really has a ton of trunk space gets good gas mileage and a good all around car, for about 17 k i think

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sling,

No domestics. Not reliable and terrible re-sale value.

Although the idea of a high horsepower wagon is cool.

I love the Infiniti FX45. It's the nicest SUV ever designed. I also love the Volvo S60 R wagon. Man, that thing is nice.

R35

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
What Aussies are capable of...

OK

Seeing as this thread has taken off I would like to show you a car that is made by Ford in Australia and retails for about AU$60000 (US$42000). I love this car and think they should look at exporting to the US like GMH did with the Monaro/Pontiac (although apparently the new Pontiac has not been received favourably??)

Engine specs and other info available at

http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=2.174

What do you guys think?

G :thumbup:
355_1x24x200382610PM.jpg

Members online

No members online now.