• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Official 2014 Open Championship discussion thread

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Rory is kickin butt! Thought Fowler was gonna give him some competition but he faded away (along with everyone else).

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Where are you guys watching the coverage?
It was on espn but just ended, will probably show again this afternoon.
Yep, the replay is on right now.

I watched the round on the watch espn app on my kindle. With that app you can watch the American coverage, European coverage, Tiger coverage, holes 13, 14, and 15, and the Open Live show which is a studio show with a couple of hot chicks.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Talk about putting boot on somebody's throat. What a finish by McIlroy.

Those two eagles ... What can one say.

10478108_820922194598065_8511773667011078614_n.jpg

Shame Adam Scott spun his wheels in the 2nd round. He had a great 3rd round back nine. When he flicks the switch it's great to watch

Last edited:
OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Rory McIlroy's father in line for share of £200k after betting on son to win the Open before age of 26

Rory McIlroy's father in line for share of £200k after betting on son to win the Open before age of 26 - Telegraph

"Rory McIlroy's father Gerry is in line for a share of a £200,000 jackpot should the Northern Irishman capitalise on his six-shot lead and win the Open Championship on Sunday.
McIlroy’s father placed a £100 bet 10 years ago that his son would win golf’s oldest major before the age of 26 and the 25-year-old is the overwhelming favourite to secure his third major title after a stunning finish to his third round, including two eagles in the last three holes.
He has already won the US Open in 2011 and the PGA Championship in 2012, but McIlroy must claim the £975,000 first prize at Hoylake on Sunday if his father’s wager is to come good.
McIlroy snr and three friends are understood to have placed £100 each at 500/1 on Rory winning the Open before his 26th birthday — and success would net them £50,000 each.
Victory would also make McIlroy the third youngest golfer, behind Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods, to complete three-quarters of golf’s ‘grand slam’."

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
It might seem like an obvious point but I think we're on the verge of witnessing something great here. If Rory wins (and I hope he does), it's 3 different majors in 4 years. To say that this guy is something special is an understatement and as AZ pointed out => he's only 25. o_O

10353427_10152110150751330_7982248960234333880_o.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Been trying to watch The Open Championship on my laptop. It's being streamed live. Except... While Rory and Rickie are on 18, they are interviewing Adam Scott. We've seen the inside of the scoreboard... for about 15 minutes. We've visited with anybody and everybody along the course. Anything but letting us watch the players. And... I wish these folks would speak English. Sorta sounds like some derivitave of English, but quite a bit different than we speak in Kansas... or Wisconsin.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
That looked like quite an intense last few holes.

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
This was a good tournament, and due to my condition I was able to watch just about all of it. I think it shows that you don't have to have level par winning to make it a good major. To me what makes a major is the pressure and the quality of the field.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Great to see Rory win. We certainly have seen something big. He holds 3 different majors now. I can just see the Masters organisers licking their lips.

Great to see Adam Scott go for it in the final round. Oh so close. He's seen the challenge by Rory. Good things will come of this. The fans will be the winners.

Great to see Sergio believing in himself. Oh so close also. There's a major title waiting for him in the next couple of years.

I could go on. I enjoyed this Open the most of the recent ones.

🔥 Latest posts