• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Official: 2018 Open Championship Challenge

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Paul Casey
Tommy Fleetwood
Justin Rose
Patrick Reed
Carnoustie is dry... extremely dry! This will not be a "bomb and gouge" tourney. We're going to see irons off tee boxes and accuracy required to stay away from the pot bunkers. Even though Reed is one of my favorites and I'd like to see Fowler win a major... I'm beginning to think folks familiar with Carnoustie and comfortable with links golf will come out the winner.
I'm suspecting Poulter will be fired up with something to prove after his interaction with a marshal at last week's tourney. Stenson has been having elbow issues and his health is questionable. Still, Stenson is one of the best iron players and grew up around links golf. Early gut reactions are usually the best and changes usually fail me. Doesn't stop me from making last minute changes... against my better judgement. So, my final picks....

Rose
Stenson
Poulter
Fleetwood

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I heard on the radio today that they reckon 100 players have a serious chance this week, which makes it very Open. There is a split in strategy. The bombers figure they can carry the bunkers and get close to greens. This happened at the Irish Open a few weeks ago. Rahm, Fox etc. were crushing their drivers, while McDowell was running irons and 5 woods into the bunkers he was trying to avoid. So strategy off the tee will be important.

Weather looks good all week, except for some light rain tomorrow. There will be a bit of a breeze on Sunday afternoon. I think it will come down to experience and nerve in the end. Holes 16-18 have a very nasty sting to them.

I have no clue who will win. Hoping McIlroy or Rose.

Dufferpauly

Jan 23, 2018
Country
They have grass, it's just not green. Overwhelmingly the players liked it.

Grass that ain’t green ain’t grass...grass is green...golf should be played on grass...there would be a revolt if any courses here just stopped watering...they watered the greens at that big giant cow pasture...why not just putt on brown grass too - oh, wait...Chambers Bay tried that

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Our fairways are Zoysia… the last grass to turn green and the first to go dormant. Still gives us a nice cushion to hit off of for the entire year. It ain't always green!

We've been extremely dry this year. My lawn is BROWN! Ain't gonna waste good water on it. If I had my way I'd mow with Roundup each Spring. Mowing grass at home takes too much time away from playing golf!!

🔥 Latest posts