• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Official Shottalk weight loss challenge!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
Started getting serious about weight loss about 2 years ago but hit it really hard about a year ago. Overall I’m down about 80lbs. Counting calories and doing a ton of cardio 3-4 times a week at the gym. I’m wearing sizes I haven’t worn since HS.
Maybe change your handle to MediumJim13? :)

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Started getting serious about weight loss about 2 years ago but hit it really hard about a year ago. Overall I’m down about 80lbs. Counting calories and doing a ton of cardio 3-4 times a week at the gym. I’m wearing sizes I haven’t worn since HS.
Grats bro!!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I have a serious weight issue this year. I gained 20 lbs. more then I've ever been before and eating smaller portions is not helping. I'm diabetic and this is frustrating. I'm also 72 and if I went to exercise I'd probably die of a heart attack. Any help would be appreciated.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I have a serious weight issue this year. I gained 20 lbs. more then I've ever been before and eating smaller portions is not helping. I'm diabetic and this is frustrating. I'm also 72 and if I went to exercise I'd probably die of a heart attack. Any help would be appreciated.

Have ssmokin send you some pitchers. Guaranteed to make you lose your appetite and maybe hurl.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

I can tell you what worked for me. I started counting calories and walking long before hitting the gym. I dropped about 20-30 lbs before I ever stepped into the gym. Counting calories also opened my eyes to what I was putting into my body as far as portion sizes go. I also made the choice to not drink my calories, basically only drink unsweetened tea and water...and coffee.

Minor changes jump started me and it didn’t feel so much like “dieting” because I didn’t stop eating any one particular thing, just paying closer attention.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Counting calories is really the only thing that truly works. Calories in VS calories out. You simply cannot gain weight if you're at a caloric deficit. It's physically impossible. Now...there's also the nutritional side of it...you should make sure the calories you are eating are quality, but even if you eat nothing but sugar, calories in vs calories out.

Any diet that says 'eat ONLY this' or 'don't eat ANY of that' is a farce right off the bat. So **** all of them. You can literally eat pretty much whatever you want and lose weight. You just have to eat the right amount of it.

There's 3500 calories per pound of body fat....approximately of course. So, to lose a pound a week, you need to amass 3500 calorie deficit under your BMR for the week. So if you require 3000 calories a day to maintain your current weight(BMR), you need to eat 2500 calories a day to lose a pound a week. 2000 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week. Don't go any lower than 1000 cals a day deficit IMO unless you have a professional dietitian or Dr telling you to do it.

You need to keep a log of your weight every week. Weigh yourself in the morning on the same day of the week and write it down. Don't weigh yourself again until the next week. Daily weigh ins are useless as your weight varies too much daily to be of much use.

Figure out your basal metabolic rate. There's calculators online. Go ahead and go 2 weeks at a 500 calorie deficit according to that BMR. At the end of two weeks determine if you're losing about 1lb/week or so. If you're not losing 1lb, increase your deficit by about 250 calories(eating less). If you have lost too much weight, increase your caloric intake by 250 calories. Re-check after two weeks.

As you lose weight, you'll have to reduce your caloric intake to keep losing 1lb per week. When you weigh less, your body needs less calories to maintain it's weight which means if you want to keep losing weight, you'll have to drop your intake to be 500 below BMR again.

If you find that you simply cannot lose weight by caloric deficit, walk. You don't have to 'work out' or get your heart rate super high. Simply walking for a half hour every day will do wonders for your health. Then walking for an hour a day...and so on.

🔥 Latest posts