• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Officious pro - sorry this is so long

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Last week I played a couple of rounds at a resort course in VT. The first day we (wife and me) had no tee time (travel day) but since it was mid week, mid afternoon and end of season we dropped in at the course hoping to get out. 'No problem" says the helpful young guy in the proshop. "There's a twosome on the tee just follow them." We played 18 holes seeing but one other group and a single that caught us on the 9th.

The next day we had a tee time at noon but after hearing the weather report decided to try to get out earlier. We drove to the course and asked for an earleir tee time. Different guy this time, older and a lot less friendly. After some huffing and puffing he said come back in a half an hour and I'll see if I can work you in. We decided to hit some balls and I watched the 1st tee. A single and a twosome went out during the half hour we waited.

We went into the clubhouse and the pro told us we could go. In 9 holes we saw a foursome that was a couple of holes behind us and the twosome a couple of holes ahead, but that was it. We decided to stop for lunch at the turn. I asked the pro if it was OK and he grudgingly (grumpily) replied that he had lots of people out but he would work us in. We had lunch overlooking the 10th tee. Nobody went off in the 15 minutes we took for lunch. We went back to the pro assuming he would send us right out. Wrong!

A twosome was hitting their approaches to the ninth. He made us wait. Even when they came into the clubhouse for a restroom break! The assistant (young guy from the day before) told us to go to the 10th. Nope, said the pro I can see a ball in the fairway on 9. There's another group coming. I told the pro to go eff himself (not aloud) and we left the course. I was really steamed.

I'm curious how others would have reacted to this situation. I'm not sure if it was deliberate or if the guy was just incompetent. I did learn it was his first job as a head pro. I wonder how he would fare at a muni like Bethpage with a course chocked full of hairy assed foursomes.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
How did you actually tell him to f himself, but not out loud? Did you lip read it? To be honest, he is a twat, just dont go back, after 30 years in the game I have met so many like him

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
What course was it? If you don't want to post it in the thread send me a PM. I don't like hearing stuff like this in my HOME state where tourists and people from out of state are our life blood!!!

Believe it or not there are alot of people in VT, and I'm sure in other states, that don't like "flatlanders" even though those "flatlanders" make up the majority of our states economy. If you played in Southern VT I bet I know the guy. Our state is gourgeous this time of year. The weather has cooled and the leaves are starting to change, makes for some great rounds of golf. I hate to hear stories like this. As I mentioned tourists are our life blood.

We have 3 things that draw people to VT. Snow for skiing, leaves for "peeping" and maple syrup. You can't drive people off by being a dick when we have so little going for us. This drives me nuts!!!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
... there are alot of people in VT, and I'm sure in other states, that don't like "flatlanders" even though those "flatlanders" make up the majority of our states economy. ...

What are 'flatlanders' Jim?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
What are 'flatlanders' Jim?

Sorry, LOL! Here in Vermont we have alot of mountains, we are the Green Mountain State. When you compare the terrain we have here to a place like say New York City, New Jersey and pretty much most of the south where the terrain is relatively flat we have HUGE mountains. So people in Vermont tend to call people from cities "flatlanders" because their terrain is much flatter than here in Vermont. WHen you start to actually look at places in New Jersey, parts of upstate NY, Massachussetts, Pennsylvania-these places aren't really that flat, this doesn't seem to matter. When you compare our mountains to say the Colorado Rockies-Vermont's mountains are mere hills. This doesn't matter either.

"Flatlanders" is a term for pretty much anybody that is not a native Vermonter. This is another bone of contention also. You can't be a native if you weren't born here. Doesn't matter if you moved here when you were a day old and lived here your whole life, your not native. It makes little sense but I guess things like these never do. Kinda like someone from the south calling people from the north "yankees."

OP
W

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
BigJim - I was born and raised in VT. I come from 6 generations of woodchucks. I left in 1965 when my rich uncle Sam offered me a job. We visit a couple of times a year for golf and fishing. Now I'm a flatlander ( a game warden called me that once. I don't think she thought I knew it was a slam. I set her straight) with CT plates.

I'm going to follow WBL's advice. We were staying at the resort on a stay and play package so I'm going to bitch to the resort people.

Members online

No members online now.