• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ogilvy's bag

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Just got my latest issue of GolfWorld. Geoff Ogilvy obviously is on the cover sporting a Titleist driver and hat. I had noticed that he had switched from the Cobra hat to the titleist hat while watching a few minutes of coverage last weekend but didn't think much of it. When I got the the winner's bag section was a little surprised to see that his bag was almost all Titleist clubs. With the exception of his 3 + 5 woods he had all Titleist sticks. What gives? I knew Titleist (or rather Acushnet) owned Cobra and footjoy but I though Ogilvy was the poster boy for Cobra. Is it that he is the only player in recent memory that played either Titleist or Cobra to win a major that prompted the switch? Did Titty throw a bunch of money at him to switch over? Or did this happen awhile ago and I just woke up to the fact? LOL.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i heard him talk about it. he said he still has the same company fitters.

eeg123456

Jan 12, 2010
those two are owned by a same company, which is Acushnet Company. Maybe just marketing thing

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think of Villegas before Ogilvy when I think of "Cobra". Second, I think of Rikki Tikki Tavi.

Funny, I had forgotten about Villegas. Also worth noting that I forgot about Zach Johnson when trying to think of recent major winners on Titleist's staff.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I think that Geoff fits the Titleist mature champion mold better then the Cobra young gun mold. More of a lateral move anyway. I wonder if it was him or the company that wanted the change?

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think that Geoff fits the Titleist mature champion mold better then the Cobra young gun mold. More of a lateral move anyway. I wonder if it was him or the company that wanted the change?

I guess his contact with Cobra was up. There was another article in Golfworld, I didn't read far enough, saying that he was the BIG free agent on the market this year. While they didn't say who approached who, it sounds like Titleist came to him.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Acushnet has pulled back the Cobra support from the Tour this year, to consolidate and save. They don't have a Cobra van at the events anymore, and instead decided to support the Cobra guys through the Titleist van instead. I think they realized the lack of advertisement this year, along with trying to maintain a positive, in the negative economy.

With that move, I believe they decided to just put all their eggs in the same basket and offered him a deal to just bump over the "premier" side of the branding..

I think it was more of them trying to save a few bucks in the long run, and gave Titleist another big name guy to tout.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Acushnet has pulled back the Cobra support from the Tour this year, to consolidate and save. They don't have a Cobra van at the events anymore, and instead decided to support the Cobra guys through the Titleist van instead. I think they realized the lack of advertisement this year, along with trying to maintain a positive, in the negative economy.

With that move, I believe they decided to just put all their eggs in the same basket and offered him a deal to just bump over the "premier" side of the branding..

I think it was more of them trying to save a few bucks in the long run, and gave Titleist another big name guy to tout.

I wonder if Cobra will be disappearing again like they did a few years ago? Lack of support and the number of other mfg's out there can't be great for Cobra.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

I wonder if Cobra will be disappearing again like they did a few years ago? Lack of support and the number of other mfg's out there can't be great for Cobra.

Ogilvy was Cobra's star. Yep, unless there was more to it (eg. countering an offer from a rival manufacturer or giving in to an Ogilvy request) Acushnet has shot itself in the foot (both feet) by moving Ogilvy over to Titleist. Villegas & Holmes won't fill the void left by Ogilvy's departure. IMO this is a huge blow to Cobra.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Ogilvy was Cobra's star. Yep, unless there was more to it (eg. countering an offer from a rival manufacturer or giving in to an Ogilvy request) Acushnet has shot itself in the foot (both feet) by moving Ogilvy over to Titleist. Villegas & Holmes won't fill the void left by Ogilvy's departure. IMO this is a huge blow to Cobra.

I agree, who else is even on Cobra's staff? Villegas, Holmes, Poulter but I can't think of one major winner.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
This begs the question, really, does anyone here buy a brand because a tour pro is wearing the hat and playing the equipment? We know that most of their stuff is FAR from stock, and we SHOULD all know that their swings are quite a bit different from our own. I really could not care less who is playing what. All I remember about Zach Johnson is that he won the Masters with exquisite play, he's got an E-something hat, and a cleft palet or some type of other weird anomoly on his face. I recall seeing him in a Titleist commercial once.

I really like how Zach plays, but I play nothing Titleist unless I happen to find one. But I guess the marketing is for the casual player, or the less fanatical one at least. Us "in the know" aren't swayed as easily by it.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
This begs the question, really, does anyone here buy a brand because a tour pro is wearing the hat and playing the equipment? We know that most of their stuff is FAR from stock, and we SHOULD all know that their swings are quite a bit different from our own. I really could not care less who is playing what. All I remember about Zach Johnson is that he won the Masters with exquisite play, he's got an E-something hat, and a cleft palet or some type of other weird anomoly on his face. I recall seeing him in a Titleist commercial once.

I really like how Zach plays, but I play nothing Titleist unless I happen to find one. But I guess the marketing is for the casual player, or the less fanatical one at least. Us "in the know" aren't swayed as easily by it.

Good point. I personally don't buy equipment because of the pro who plays it. There are a TON of golfers out there who do though. I was just surprised to see that Ogilvy switched.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.