• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oh my effen back!

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
Well, I was hoping my lower back pain would go away before my round tomorrow. It hasn't.

Having never had back pain, what do you do to play through a round with this? Drugs? IcyHot patch? I'm thinking a load of Ibuprofen.

I hope I'm not doomed tomorrow.

~QQ

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I am sorry to hear about this - no joke. Once it starts (if it is a real problem) it can mean serious trouble for your game.

Did you strain it? What precipitated it? Sexual Olympics?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Back pain and golf are not bedfellows, I can tell you that much.

Just ask Freddy Couples. The guy tried to play through it, and pretty much f'd up the prime of his career.

For what it's worth, you may want to take a week off from the sticks, let the old spine work it's way into 100% form.

Failing that, go out and shoot a million. Cuz when you back hurts, your game sucks toilet.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I play with back pain almost every round. Ibuprofen is the best over the counter med. Everyone's tolerence is different but I take four about 45 min. before tee time and if we're playing more than 18, I'll take four more about 3 1/2 hrs. later.

My neighbor's wife is a nurse and she's the one that said four was ok. Actually the best thing I've ever had was some samples of a non drowsy muscle relaxers my doctor gave but I can't remember the name to ask for more.

The drugs must have wiped out my short term memory. :p

One more thing. When my back is hurting I have a tendency to not make a full shoulder turn. Beware the hooks if it's still hurting tommorow.

OP
Quentin

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
Bravo said:
I am sorry to hear about this - no joke. Once it starts (if it is a real problem) it can mean serious trouble for your game.

Did you strain it? What precipitated it? Sexual Olympics?

Nope, never strained my back in the sack. Not to say I'm not looking forward to it someday. ;)

I think it was from sitting in my chair at the office for a week straight reviewing database and programming crap. Didn't make a move for an hour straight on several occassions. Probably tightened up and then I jumped up for a cup of joe and pulled it. Yep, strained the back getting a cup of coffee. :mad:

I knew work was bad for my golf game.

~QQ

OP
Quentin

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
rockford35 said:
For what it's worth, you may want to take a week off from the sticks, let the old spine work it's way into 100% form.

I've been couped up for an entire winter and have only played twice since last October. It's been absolutely horrible weatherwise here for the last 4 weeks and tomorrow is supposed to be perfect. Not sure I can hold back.

...probably won't hold back.

If you feel a sharp change in the wind that kind of pulls you to the Midwest tomorrow morning...that's me sucking.

~QQ

OP
Quentin

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
Dave,

I usually take 3 Ibuprofen for normal stuff, but I was thinking I'd up it tomorrow morning. ...maybe add some Vicoden and really have some fun. ;)

~QQ

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
DaveE hit the nail on the head with the Ibuprofen. That works best for my pains (except for you guys). :)

A pain doc told me taking 4 at one time is fine, if your stomach can handle it.

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Quentin said:
..maybe add some Vicoden and really have some fun. ;)

~QQ

I'm sure things would really come together with your swing.

I've always been a fan of Aleve although I don't know if it'll cure back pain.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Quentin said:
Dave,

...maybe add some Vicoden and really have some fun. ;)

~QQ

Actually, I've played before while taking Vicoden and it's not bad. Kinda like having a couple of beers to loosen up only the pain disapears too.

My best round to date was played while trying a sample of a muscle relaxer my doctor gave me. If someone could fix my damn back I just might be half decent at this game.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Dave:

Ask your doc for Skelaxin 800 mg muscle relaxers...

Take with shot of vodka or whiskey and away you go..

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
YES!!

That's my new excuse!

I have had chronic back pain for at LEAST 10 years! It never goes away, there are good days and bad.

I'll tell you what, I got one of those selct comfort matresses, the air one with the number adjustments, it's the best thing I ever did for my back....now I have more good days than bad. :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Slingblade61 said:
YES!!

That's my new excuse!

I have had chronic back pain for at LEAST 10 years! It never goes away, there are good days and bad.

I'll tell you what, I got one of those selct comfort matresses, the air one with the number adjustments, it's the best thing I ever did for my back....now I have more good days than bad. :)

Very sad to hear this...what does a doc say about surgery?

S

spankdoggie

I have never experienced back pain in my entire life.

Honestly.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Surgery?

It's not THAT bad!

The benchmark I use is an experience I had about 9 years ago...we were lifting an old hot tub (fiberglass, empty) out of a deck and something in my back went off like a rifle shot.

Pain! I had to sit in my truck and catch myself for about 20 minutes before I coud drive home.

I get home and lay on the floor for about 15 minutes, then I try to get to the couch......It took me 35 minutes to get there...only 5 feet away. The next day, the only way I could move anywhere was by crawling, I could not stand up, I could barely breath. I got to the doc with alot of help and he gave me some meds plus an x-ray.....must have been a nerve cause the meds put me right, more or less.

That experience was an 11 out of ten.....what I live with every day is maybe a 4. When it gets bad I can manage it with the old chiropractor......and the bed....mmmm....the bed :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.