• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oh no, I feel like tinkering some more...

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
A couple of years ago I got tired of having so many choices around the green so I consolidated from my 46, 50, 54, 58 wedge configuraiton to 48, 54, 58. I now feel way more confident when I reach into my bag around the green as I know exactly which club I need to pull of my desired shot.

Fast forward to now... I'm looking at the other end of my bag and considering a similar consolidation. I currently sport a 18* 5W, 20* hybrid, 4i, and 5i. I hit my 5W the most consistent of the bunch and can actually control it to various distances (in other words it ain't going anywhere). Things start to get hit and miss from that point though until I get to my 6 iron as I constantly find myself debating what club I should grab and often times don't feel confident with my choice.

So I have hatched a plan to take those three clubs and turn them into just two. I recently tried the Adams A3 Boxer hybrid and was just blown away by how it felt. I then tried the Tech A4 and was even more impressed! I'm thinking my 20* hybrid and 4i will be condensed into a 22* Tech A4 (the Javln shaft felt fantastic and the iron length D2 weighted set-up just felt "right"). This would then leave me a gap in the 180ish-190ish range which I plan on filling by ordering a weak 4 iron (or strong 5) like I did with the strong utility wedge I got to cover the PW/GW slot.

There are discussions about guys taking the odd or even clubs out of the bag and shooting better scores because there was less "thinking" involved. Or other threads where guys take out just 3, 4, or 5 clubs. This is essentially building that simplicity into my set's make-up. Thoughts?

You cold weather guys think you're going nuts with only time to think about these things. Us warm weather folks still go nuts because we have you guys making us think about this stuff as well as the weather that allows us to implament these ramblings... :faintthud

Why do we do this to ourselves?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
All golfers are Masochists. That is all the explanation needed. :laugh:

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
There's a big problem with your plan.... if you swap three clubs for two, you'll make a hole in your bag, and then you'll spend all your time thinking about what to fill it with, instead of playing ;)

Otherwise, I think it's great. I have a whole bunch of clubs in that 17-25* range, and probably need to do something similar. Carrying two 17* clubs doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I like your train of thought. I'd go for it. You could then do a Phail and have a draw driver and a fade driver... :D

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I did it and couldn't be happier. Although 1 course I play has a couple of 220-240 par 3's I have to choke down the 4W for it has made my game much more manageable.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I like the idea. I am trying to work out the top of bag before spring. The last couple rounds I have played with an 18* 5w and a 17* hybrid. They are good for different things but I have to figure out another solution at this point.

Jason

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
This is the reason I bought new irons. Or at least a similar situation. I had 3w and then the next club was a 3-4i replacement hybrid. I was very inconsistant hitting 3w off the deck and had a big yardage gap between 3w and hybrid. On the other end of the set I went from 47*or 48* pw (not quite sure) to a 55* sw, the a 60*. Enter the set of Di5's I bought on the bay. 2i-gw. So now I have 44pw, 50gw, 55sw, and 60lw. On the other end I just ditched the 3w and hybrid and gained 2,3, and 4i. I know I know, this is actually pretty close to the opposite of what you did. I just said similar because it's tinkering. I did this for a few reasons though. I hit irons the best so I wanted an all matching iron set (so every club feels the same.) I wanted equal yardage gaps with the wedges. Also wanted better yardage gaps at the other end of the set as well. they were cheap. For me that eliminates thinking... thinking about the clubs I wish I had to fill the yardage gaps between 5i-hy-3w.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I like your train of thought. I'd go for it. You could then do a Phail and have a draw driver and a fade driver... :D

Shoot, I can already snap hook and slice my current driver; why would I need to carry a second one? :biglol:

I've been meaning to ask you, how do you like the Bafflers? I just can't get used to the holy fairway wood feel and the added length on the shaft. :(

This is the reason I bought new irons. Or at least a similar situation. I had 3w and then the next club was a 3-4i replacement hybrid. I was very inconsistant hitting 3w off the deck and had a big yardage gap between 3w and hybrid. On the other end of the set I went from 47*or 48* pw (not quite sure) to a 55* sw, the a 60*. Enter the set of Di5's I bought on the bay. 2i-gw. So now I have 44pw, 50gw, 55sw, and 60lw. On the other end I just ditched the 3w and hybrid and gained 2,3, and 4i. I know I know, this is actually pretty close to the opposite of what you did. I just said similar because it's tinkering. I did this for a few reasons though. I hit irons the best so I wanted an all matching iron set (so every club feels the same.) I wanted equal yardage gaps with the wedges. Also wanted better yardage gaps at the other end of the set as well. they were cheap. For me that eliminates thinking... thinking about the clubs I wish I had to fill the yardage gaps between 5i-hy-3w.

I hear what you're saying. Your execution was different but you arranged your bag to accomodate your preferences and thus are more confident with the sticks you're carrying.

I went to the range at lunch today and was messing with my current 5 iron (which I forget I ordered a degree strong, doh!). I'm pretty sure I'll be okay by just consolidating the hybrid and 4 iron into a single club and not dropping coin on another iron. I was able to choke down 3/4 for ~170 and then full swing to ~185. I can live with that... for now. :D

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I just sold one of those. I have a 19 degree if your interested.

Tinkering is what it is. Personally, if I hit it badly, I try to place the blame on the offending club/clubs. Last time I went to the range, I hit my driver and wedges beautifully, but my irons terrible. My response? I purchased a different set of irons and a new set of shafts so that I have something to play while I change my gamers back to the Black Golds. That was an expensive trip to the range!

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I just sold one of those. I have a 19 degree if your interested.

Tinkering is what it is. Personally, if I hit it badly, I try to place the blame on the offending club/clubs. Last time I went to the range, I hit my driver and wedges beautifully, but my irons terrible. My response? I purchased a different set of irons and a new set of shafts so that I have something to play while I change my gamers back to the Black Golds. That was an expensive trip to the range!

LOL! This tinkering actually stems from a few range sessions and two rounds...

The 19* A4 sounds really tempting but I am officially threw with hybrids below 20*. I've gone through four or five and I simply just play better with a 5W. Hell, I'm watching several 7W auctions on the bay right now. I absolutely love my J33 woods but I could aslo see a 4W/7W SQ2 combo in my bag...

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Whoopsy, got a SQ2 4W on the way!

Anyone familiar with the new AXIVcore shafts from UST? I ask because I'll be testing out a Blue 79 model in a 4W this time next week. :thumbs up:

Oh, and I officially recant the above statement regarding hybrids below 20*... :D

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I hear ya.

I just decided to drop a wedge. trying to decide what to throw in the bag now. Might make a long driver. or try and find a hybrid in the 19* range.

🔥 Latest posts