• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Okay, if we're ranting, it's my turn!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
We always have the first tee time on Saturday and Sunday. We play quickly. As a foursome, we regularly play 18 holes in right at 3 hours. We play ready golf. We don't look for lost balls. We just keep moving forward. But, we do play as a four and two are usually walking.

Generally, we don't have conflict with other golfers. Last Saturday, due to the heat, a number of folks must have wanted to get rounds in before it got really hot. The pro shop put 3 twosomes in carts out behind us.

We didn't even know the others were behind us until the turn. #10 was the first time we saw a two gaining on us. By 14 they had caught us. The other two twosomes in carts were still a few holes behind. In other words, we were playing 4... with two walkers... as fast or faster than the other twos behind us, except this one.

If we let the fast two play through, it will slow us down and will allow the other twos to catch up. That's not fair to us nor to the other twos. If we don't let the fast two play through, we will feel rushed/pushed and our games will suffer. If we don't let the fast two play through, we are holding them up.

This late in the round, coming off 14 and going to 15... do you let this faster two play through? Or, do you just keep up your already quick pace and play your game? And, why does the pro shop put twos in carts out on weekend mornings? (That discussion is currently being held with management and we hope is resolved soon!)

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
We always have the first tee time on Saturday and Sunday. We play quickly. As a foursome, we regularly play 18 holes in right at 3 hours. We play ready golf. We don't look for lost balls. We just keep moving forward. But, we do play as a four and two are usually walking.

Generally, we don't have conflict with other golfers. Last Saturday, due to the heat, a number of folks must have wanted to get rounds in before it got really hot. The pro shop put 3 twosomes in carts out behind us.

We didn't even know the others were behind us until the turn. #10 was the first time we saw a two gaining on us. By 14 they had caught us. The other two twosomes in carts were still a few holes behind. In other words, we were playing 4... with two walkers... as fast or faster than the other twos behind us, except this one.

If we let the fast two play through, it will slow us down and will allow the other twos to catch up. That's not fair to us nor to the other twos. If we don't let the fast two play through, we will feel rushed/pushed and our games will suffer. If we don't let the fast two play through, we are holding them up.

This late in the round, coming off 14 and going to 15... do you let this faster two play through? Or, do you just keep up your already quick pace and play your game? And, why does the pro shop put twos in carts out on weekend mornings? (That discussion is currently being held with management and we hope is resolved soon!)

Because they paid. That's it. All of these courses could care less about you and your group because someone else will play where you have been just as fast as you stop. Dolla dolla bills yall. Get em out there.... as many as quick as possible.

ELCTW

Nike Golf
Jul 18, 2010
Because they paid. That's it. All of these courses could care less about you and your group because someone else will play where you have been just as fast as you stop. Dolla dolla bills yall. Get em out there.... as many as quick as possible.

Exactly right. Personally, I have always let faster groups play through, unless I'm on the 17th or 18th hole. I don't care if I have to wait a few minutes for them to play through, I'd rather be focused rather than feel rushed that there is someone faster behind me.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
limp. You are a much better "ranter" then I!!:thumbs up:

And good point about the almighty dollar driving the golf courses.

To add to that sssmokin's course up north (and soon to be mine) sends these groups out that come together in large numbers. They will shortly "join up" into six-somes and even eight-somes after a few holes. There is no ranger or if there is he will do little. Some of these groups are so bold they tee off in these large groups on the first tee! And this is now happening so often the "word" must be getting out to all these a**holes that they can get away with it there. I went up to the clubhouse and bitched royally about it and then sssmokin did and finally the ranger went up to them and split them up after first allowing us to play through. We were done and were sitting outside having a drink and here they all come to the last hole... joined up into a eight-some again. Don't tell me the course didn't want to piss them off and lose their 8 X $40 fees. What they don't realize is their short-sighted vision on this is going to cost them alot more then this when the "word gets out" that they let groups get away with this and it happens all the time. No one will come there anymore except the vacationers that are doing this.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
limp. You are a much better "ranter" then I!!:thumbs up:

And good point about the almighty dollar driving the golf courses.

To add to that sssmokin's course up north (and soon to be mine) sends these groups out that come together in large numbers. They will shortly "join up" into six-somes and even eight-somes after a few holes. There is no ranger or if there is he will do little. Some of these groups are so bold they tee off in these large groups on the first tee! And this is now happening so often the "word" must be getting out to all these a**holes that they can get away with it there. I went up to the clubhouse and bitched royally about it and then sssmokin did and finally the ranger went up to them and split them up after first allowing us to play through. We were done and were sitting outside having a drink and here they all come to the last hole... joined up into a eight-some again. Don't tell me the course didn't want to piss them off and lose their 8 X $40 fees. What they don't realize is their short-sighted vision on this is going to cost them alot more then this when the "word gets out" that they let groups get away with this and it happens all the time. No one will come there anymore except the vacationers that are doing this.

Oh yeah?... how many competitatively priced courses are near it? I.E. where else ya gonna go? They know you are addicted and you not coming there is the only thing that will be short lived.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
You guys gripe about the almighty dollar like it's evil - something has to keep these courses open. The loudmouth 8-somes who buy lots of beer and lots of full-rate tee times pay the bills.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
You guys gripe about the almighty dollar like it's evil - something has to keep these courses open. The loudmouth 8-somes who buy lots of beer and lots of full-rate tee times pay the bills.

BrandonM7

I am depressed....:frown:

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Oh yeah?... how many competitatively priced courses are near it? I.E. where else ya gonna go? They know you are addicted and you not coming there is the only thing that will be short lived.

The big issue its always that. You can complain an feel miserable (and you are more than right to do so), but at the end you have to give up because that's the closest or best or cheapest course you can play.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I would have let the faster players through mostly becasue I know how much it sucks to be behind a slower group. I'm surprised that the starter didn't hook up a couple of the two somes. Was everyone playing with tee times?

Jun 24, 2006
Not your fault. There isn't room for twosomes on a busy golf course durring peak playing hours.

I'd have told the two behind you to join the two behind them.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country

I'm not griping. Your point is my point. By the way... the dollar is the root of all evil. So basically the courses have to choose evil to pay the bills. Fact being fact doesn't make it suck any less.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
This statement is a good barometer of civilization. The more you see it, the more quickly society as we know it is crumbling.

Not sure how to take that.... explain please.

Before you do though I should note that I think greed is why society as we know it is crumbling, not the dollar in and of itself. The dollar just happens to be what drives all the greed.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Suggesting that GREED is the root of all evil isn't so insane. Suggesting that currency, a form of brilliant man-made liquid trade is evil is catastrophic. Life would be very very difficult without money.

Greed is a strange thing though. Who doesn't want the most for the work they do, or the most for their dollar? Really, it can only be the super-rich who AREN'T greedy, because they're the only people with the means to not worry about value.

If I'm on the hunt for a new pair of sneakers, I certainly shop around so I can get the best sneakers for my money. That's greedy, isn't it? Wanting the most for the least? It fits.

And a golf course wanting to make as much money as it can while its open, especially a course in the north where they can't be open all year... Completely sensible, and I'd expect nothing less, and definitely greedy.

Complaining about being pushed is greedy too. Wanting to get a good round of golf in for X dollars is greedy. The only un-greedy thing to do would be to welcome a miserable round, and maybe pay extra for it.

At what point does that greed become "evil?" I can't say I know. I wouldn't even say that it does. Steve Jobs is greedy, I've heard, because he won't share profits on the iPhone with the carrier(s) he allows to sell the phone, which is why Verizon is contemplating telling him to piss off. But that's not evil, that's just a business decision. In this free country, Verizon can say, "No, thanks," or even, "No, piss off." We can say the same. If you feel that someone is asking something unfair of you; i.e., his greed is suplanting your greed too much, say no. Wanting an iPhone for less money than Steve Jobs says he'll sell it for is greedy. Anyone who has ever haggled is greedy. Hardly evil, I think, but life is personal.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.