• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old Buddy -New to the Game

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I am going to play golf for the first time this weekend with one of my oldest friends. It sounds strange...

We knew each other in high school and the first two years of college. After our sophmore year, he transferred to Arizona State and finished there. He then lived in the San Francisco Bay area (Silicon Valley) for 25 years.

Every time I went to S.F. I would look him up and when he came back here to see his parents, he would do the same.

All the time - I would rag him, "Man you need to learn to play golf".

So, the last time I see him was last year at our high school reunion. On Thursday, we are having a golf tournament (Scramble) and I see that he has signed up. When I saw him at the course - he told me he started playing when he was 47 and was completely addicted to it.

Then he moved to Atlanta to go into business with his brother. So now he is 140 miles away.

This weekend, he is coming over to see his Dad for Father's Day and we are going to play on Saturday afternoon. While it is going to be fun - it will seem truly strange - out of place and time. How do you catch up on your golf experiences of 25 years when he has been playing only 2?

He tells me he has a 20 handicap and I am impressed. This guy is the type who will work at something incredibly hard once he is committed to it. Never a great athlete in high school, I think it is pretty cool that he is in the low 90's after starting so late in life.

And we're going to have really nice weather - forecasted high for Saturday is 82...

The last part of our conversation last night was kinda cool.

I told him that I walk quite a bit and carry my bag. He told me he has some sort of wheeled cart bag. I said that wheeled bags were seen as "nerdlike" on our course and that if you were a manlyman - you would walk and carry.

He is bringing the wheeled cart anyway....

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
That sounds like a good time. It's great that the two of you have stayed in touch over the years.

I'm very jealous of your weather right now. We're having a very early heat wave and it may hit 100 this weekend. Time to make some margaritas I guess. :beach3:

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yeah...read it and weep...

You need to get out on the lake. Do you have a boat? Too hot to play golf there.
Weather.JPG

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
DaveE said:
That sounds like a good time. It's great that the two of you have stayed in touch over the years.

I'm very jealous of your weather right now. We're having a very early heat wave and it may hit 100 this weekend. Time to make some margaritas I guess. :beach3:

Fecking weather...don't talk to me about the fecking weather!

I'm a pasty-faced Scot used to scraping snow out the bunkers so I can get to my ball.

And here I am in the sodding desert with 4 months of 100 - 110 degrees ahead of me.

The good thing is that all the swimming pools use chilled water and there's nothing quite like jumping in one of them when you start to look distinctly lobster-like.

Fecking weather.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
This is the forecast for the US Open this weekend (metric)...

If they screw this up, it is their own fault....
USOpenforecast.JPG

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Crazy.

About 20 minutes ago, we had 1.5" of rain in about 15 minutes. The roads were flooded right accross. We had 1.25" on Tuesday night too.

Hot weather and humidity.....bad combo.....big storms that DUMP!

Still, weekend looks great.

Uh oh. Just heard more thunder. Better check the Doppler.

R35

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
One of my best friend from childhood played badminton with me this week.
It's been a long time he hasn't played, and although he's a little novice, he can still manage to play ok (I play more than ok though ;) ).
The thing is, I invited him to badminton, and no matter how good or bad he plays, I don't care.
All I wanted was having a blast, and that's what we got.
Good sport, good laughs, cool pep talk, just great fun.

So enjoy your round with your friend Bravo, and have fun :)

Members online

No members online now.