• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old Course, St. Andrews, Scotland

The Recreational Golfer

Mar 4, 2010
In 1968, when crossing the ocean was a big deal, I played the Old Course at St. Andrews. It hadn't been "discovered" yet. I walked up to the starter's shack, rented a set of clubs, paid my green fees, and he said to me, "There's the first tee. After the group that's on it tees off, it's your turn." It was that easy.

Well, the course ate me up. On a few of the tees I had to ask for help finding the direction to hit. I'd never played on greens so fast. And yes, the double greens are huge. Tip: don't hit your ball into the gorse.

Come the 17th hole, I decided to go for the glory. I took out my 3-wood and hit a beauty over the sheds. My next shot was a 3-iron right at the green. (Road Hole bunker? What's that?) A twenty-footer finds the cup and I birdie the hardest par 4 in golf.

This course is all it's cracked up to be. I'd love to play it again, especially on the day they play it in reverse order, the way it was originally laid out.

🔥 Latest posts