• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old man's 'puter questions... HELP!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Wife wants new laptop for Christmas. She has a Toshiba, about 7 years old, that the screen has gone bonkers on. She uses her laptop a lot... but just for family/personal use. She downloads family photos to a local store for prints. She communicates w/family and friends via e-mail and Facebook. And, she has some cooking sites she frequents. She has never used a spreadsheet, Outlook, etc.... and won't. She is not interested in a tablet or anything that has a virtual keyboard. She wants to stay with her "typing" keyboard. My questions...

What's the difference between a "notebook" and a "laptop"?
We have a local Best Buy. Is that a good place to purchase computers?
Do you recommend purchase of the extended warranties? We've never believed in that, however, neither know anything about fixing a computer.
Seems like most everything now has Windows 8. I'm still using Windows 7 and she is using Windows XP. Is Windows 8 okay? Is the learning curve difficult to move to Windows 8?

Any advice is appreciated!!!!!

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
The best purchase I ever made was a Macbook Air. Those things are easy to carry around and very well built. OSx doesn't really have a learning curve, especially if you just use the computer for day to day things like you described.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Unless its a touch screen device, windows 8 can be a pain.

You should still be able to find a laptop with windows 7.

Or go the mac route...ish, can't believe i suggested that...

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Limp-

A note book will be fine for her needs...cheaper and will not have the more business related apps....however, Tablets are really the wave of the future...I would suggest looking at a tablet and BUY a keyboard attachment...she can use the keyboard and periodically play with the tablet keyboard on the run....

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Limp-

A note book will be fine for her needs...cheaper and will not have the more business related apps....however, Tablets are really the wave of the future...I would suggest looking at a tablet and BUY a keyboard attachment...she can use the keyboard and periodically play with the tablet keyboard on the run....
Thanks!!! Couple of questions... If we go the tablet route, can we just go with the Windows operating system and use it only with WiFi connection? We do not have a data plan on her phone and, it looks like the tablets are really designed for smart phone operating systems.
Most of the tablets are as expensive as notebooks/laptops. Then, they recommend "damage" warranties and "service" warranties. Looks like you can spend almost as much in extended warranty/damage plans as the tablet costs. Due to the "perceived obsolecence" of laptops/notebooks, can you get more for your dollars going that way?
Please understand, we're not of the "connected generation". The ONLY reason I have a smart phone is because my work requires it. We can take trips and never think about taking along laptops or smart phones. Once I retire, the data plan required for work will be dropped and I'll go back to as simply of a cell phone as I can find... just for emergency use.
We do use the internet for reference purposes and for some connectivity with family. I, also, have enjoyed participation in a few discussion boards like ShotTalk. She does do some texting on her phone... I don't. So, see... we're OLD!!!! REALLY old!!!!:p

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
See comments inserted between yours....

Thanks!!! Couple of questions... If we go the tablet route, can we just go with the Windows operating system and use it only with WiFi connection? We do not have a data plan on her phone and, it looks like the tablets are really designed for smart phone operating systems.
If you are looking for simplistic offerings (i.e. non office work...) then I'd avoid any windows based tablet...they will be WAY too expensive because they will include options your wife will never use.

As long as the tablet uses WiFi you can use it anywhere that offers free WiFi.....if you do not have WiFi at home, you can purchase it usually from you cable or satellite company...otherwise you will HAVE to go to some placwe that offers free WiFi...like Barnes and Noble, Mc Donalds, i.e...

Most of the tablets are as expensive as notebooks/laptops. Then, they recommend "damage" warranties and "service" warranties. Looks like you can spend almost as much in extended warranty/damage plans as the tablet costs. Due to the "perceived obsolecence" of laptops/notebooks, can you get more for your dollars going that way?
There are some GREAT tablets out there that are a LOT cheaper than notebook/laptops....My wife and I each have one that were under $200 each.
As far as warranties go, my rule of thumb is never by insurance unless its for home or auto....Your tablet will come with a warrantee that will usually be for one year..... with the cost of these items constantly getting cheaper, should your tablet die after a year, you can most likely pick up a new one for same or less than what yu'd have paid in monthly insurance payments.

Please understand, we're not of the "connected generation". The ONLY reason I have a smart phone is because my work requires it.
If you do not have wireless at home, you SHOULD be able to use your cell phone as a hotspot and your wife could teather her tablet to your phone wirelrssly.

We can take trips and never think about taking along laptops or smart phones. Once I retire, the data plan required for work will be dropped and I'll go back to as simply of a cell phone as I can find... just for emergency use.
We do use the internet for reference purposes and for some connectivity with family. I, also, have enjoyed participation in a few discussion boards like ShotTalk. She does do some texting on her phone... I don't. So, see... we're OLD!!!! REALLY old!!!!:p

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Thanks, Rory!!! Lots of help! Plan to go shopping on Friday and see what I can find. We do have wireless in our home. We have a wireless router connected to the cable modem so both of our laptops work without being "hard wired".

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Thanks, Rory!!! Lots of help! Plan to go shopping on Friday and see what I can find. We do have wireless in our home. We have a wireless router connected to the cable modem so both of our laptops work without being "hard wired".
Sounds like you are "Good to go" then!!!

If you need any further help, or want to confirm how good an item is before you "Pull the trigger" please give me a call or PM me and I will do what I can to help!

🔥 Latest posts