• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Old time caddies at Augusta.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I watched the 1 hr special on Seve before the final rd yesterday & couldn't help but notice a couple things. It seemed like the caddie was the one who always picked the ball up out of the cup, was that the way it used to be?

I also noticed a lot of the caddies were black & it seemed like their only job was to carry the bag, I didn't see them giving any advice on putting or iron shots to the players like we see now days. Did these guys mainly work for Augusta, did the players not have their own personal caddies like they do now days?

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
For a long time, Augusta supplied the caddies, who were all black and had to wear rediculous jumpsuits. Players still had their personal caddie for other tournaments though. Eventually they changed the rules to allow personal caddies on the course, but they still have to wear the rediculous jumpsuits.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I agree the jumpsuits are ridiculous. How long has it been that the caddies have been actively involved in so much decision/shot making for the players?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Tradition is everything at ANGC; the caddie jumpsuits are one such tradition. They will not go away in our lifetime.

How are they any different than the caddie bibs worn at other tourneys?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Tradition is everything at ANGC; the caddie jumpsuits are one such tradition. They will not go away in our lifetime.

Got to agree with you here. Actually, I prefer the jumpsuits to the silly safety vest looking things they wear at all the other tournaments.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country

I don't like those either, think they are retarded looking. What would be wrong with maybe a hat with the players name on it?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.