• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Olympic Golf

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Anyone gonna watch this? I noticed that of all the countries represented, most have two players, some only have one, the US is the only country with four.

Also, time zones are confusing. Tokyo is 8 hours behind my time but it's already tomorrow there somehow. 🤨

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I wouldn't mind checking it out, but it would have to be available to stream from somewhere when I have time.

I'll have to look it up and see when/where I can watch it. I don't have cable or broadcast television so I have a hard time getting some stuff.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country

How to watch the Olympic men’s event on TV​

You can watch the 2021 Olympics men’s golf competition on Golf Channel. You can watch all four rounds live overnight, then Golf Channel will re-air each round twice the following day for viewer’s who can’t stay up all night to follow along. Check out the full Olympics TV schedule below.

Wednesday, July 28: 6:30 p.m.-3 a.m. ET (Golf Channel Round 1)
Thursday, July 29: 7-9 a.m ET, 2-5 p.m. ET (Golf Channel Round 1 Re-air); 6:30 p.m.-3 a.m. ET (Golf Channel Round 2)
Friday, July 30: 7-9 a.m ET, 2-5 p.m. ET (Golf Channel Round 2 Re-air); 6:30 p.m.-3 a.m. ET (Golf Channel Round 3)
Saturday, July 31: 7-9:30 a.m ET (Golf Channel Round 3 Re-air); 6:30 p.m.-3:30 a.m. ET (Golf Channel Round 3)
Sunday, August 1: 8 a.m.-1 p.m ET, 5-8 p.m. ET (Golf Channel Round 4 Re-air)

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Anyone gonna watch this? I noticed that of all the countries represented, most have two players, some only have one, the US is the only country with four.

Also, time zones are confusing. Tokyo is 8 hours behind my time but it's already tomorrow there somehow. 🤨
I think 4 is the max allowed per country. They do that in other sports as well. The reason some countries have less is the qualification process, I do not honestly know what list they use, but in order to qualify you have to be above a certain number and some countries have less than 4 above said number (that were willing to go to the Olympics).

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I think 4 is the max allowed per country. They do that in other sports as well. The reason some countries have less is the qualification process, I do not honestly know what list they use, but in order to qualify you have to be above a certain number and some countries have less than 4 above said number (that were willing to go to the Olympics).
Seems odd to me. The olympics is supposed to be each country sends it's best. What if the top 100 were from one country?

Why doesn't each country get to send x amount and they just send the best that country has to offer. Seems to be the most 'fair' way to handle it.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
1627472217467.png

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Seems odd to me. The olympics is supposed to be each country sends it's best. What if the top 100 were from one country?

Why doesn't each country get to send x amount and they just send the best that country has to offer. Seems to be the most 'fair' way to handle it.
This is how I always thought it worked. Of course I don't really pay attention to the Olympics in general so I never bothered to look any further into it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country

Eddie the Eagle rules.

Minimum standards of performance to ensure some Joe Schmoe is not competing. Every sport is different, but since golf is a fairly global game and they do not run qualifying tournaments, they use a list. Then they cap a single country to a max number of players to prevent overloading the field with a handful of countries.

The system works against the US in events that are not popular in the country such as Team Handball and Men’s Field Hockey. Our national teams (if we even have them) are not ranked high enough to compete in the games.

The Olympics are not about fairness, they are used as a political tool hidden behind athletic competition.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You young whippersnappers don't remember the Olympics where East Germany and the USSR were "breeding" Olympians. The countries trying to abide by the "amateur standing" rules were up against horrific odds. Even after the Berlin Wall fell and after the USSR crashed, it was still obvious that certain cultures would breed, support, and train athletes from birth until they would excel in the Olympics. Once the "amateur" rule was abolished, the U.S. began sending many professional athletes to represent us. It always refreshing to watch pure amateurs in sports we did not often see on television. The Olympics were different enough they were refreshing. Today, we see many of the same sports we watch, anyway. We see professional athletes from across the globe... that we see each weekend on our favorite sports networks. Here, we watched most of the opening ceremonies simply because the wife enjoys the pomp and flair displayed. Other than that, we haven't watch any of the competition, even though during our early married life, we would watch the Olympics every minute we had available.

🔥 Latest posts