• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Olympics take GOLF!!!!!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'll bring this back up. We're only 2 years away now and lots of new members to get their input.

I still think I would rather see only amateurs in this. The pro's have enough tournaments to win...but the pro's get to play in Hockey/Basketball/etc so....

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I would say amateurs only as well, every professional tournament is made up of an international field already. What's the point???

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Ding ding ding, we have a winner !!!!!!

This was the whole purpose for trying to get golf into the Olympics.

Personally, I'm glad Golf is in the Olympics now. My only hope is that once the Pros get tired of playing they go back to the true Olmpian rules and its the best Amateurs from each country.
Now here is a member worth remembering, RIP Dub.

I am not sold on the idea if golf in the Olympics but if it must be done, I would rather see amateurs. Not just college level though, any age. Like if you win your state Am, you get a shot to qualify-similar to how anybody can try to qualify for the US Open.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I think golf in the Olympics is a horrible idea. Even if it's amateurs. There's so many events already, that the prestige of winning a gold medal has been diluted.

"I won a gold medal!"
"Awesome! For what sport?"
"Ping Pong!"
"..."

Bring back the original Olympic spirit and have men fight lions and shit.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think golf in the Olympics is a horrible idea. Even if it's amateurs. There's so many events already, that the prestige of winning a gold medal has been diluted.

"I won a gold medal!"
"Awesome! For what sport?"
"Ping Pong!"
"..."

Bring back the original Olympic spirit and have men fight lions and shit.
I think that was Gladiator games not Olympics.

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
I think it's great for the Olympics. Hell, you have curling in the winter. If you watch PGA tournaments you can obviously see there's a variety of countries represented on tour. I like the idea of some sort of match play. Golf being a world wide sport makes perfect sense for the Olympics. Love watching the Ryder/presidents cup and seeing all the emotions of national pride give those tournaments a unique atmosphere to golf. It's well worth it to give it a try as an Olympic Sport.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I think it's great for the Olympics. Hell, you have curling in the winter. If you watch PGA tournaments you can obviously see there's a variety of countries represented on tour. I like the idea of some sort of match play. Golf being a world wide sport makes perfect sense for the Olympics. Love watching the Ryder/presidents cup and seeing all the emotions of national pride give those tournaments a unique atmosphere to golf. It's well worth it to give it a try as an Olympic Sport.
Which is exactly why i think it should be a team style event and only include amateurs. This is going to be yet another pro tournament, which is already happening almost every weekend of the year.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Golf shouldn't be part of the Olympics. This venue is where athletes from track & field, etc can be featured. But, as with many things today, the Olympics has become all about money. The golf played will simply be a popularity contest with a few millionaires attempting to add a golf medal to trophy case in their private jets and yachts. If they must include golf, restrict it to amateurs.

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
I'm 50/50 on either it being amateurs or pros. I like the idea of it being armatures for reasons stated above, but regardless of someone's status being an Olympian is probably on all of their lists and each country is going to want to send their very best. Do you guys think ice hockey shouldn't include professionals as well?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I'm 50/50 on either it being amateurs or pros. I like the idea of it being armatures for reasons stated above, but regardless of someone's status being an Olympian is probably on all of their lists and each country is going to want to send their very best. Do you guys think ice hockey shouldn't include professionals as well?
Lots of controversy, some years ago, about the amateur vs. pro issue. The Olympics were supposed to be a venue to highlight amateur athletes. Any "professional" athletes were not allowed to participate. Some countries "farmed" Olympians. Youngsters were bred to excel in a particular sport and were raised in that sport. Food, lodging, salaries were paid by the "State" so these chosen could excel in the Olympic arena. By the definition of some, they were "professionals". Finally, we saw the "dream team" in basketball comprised of NBA professionals and the rest is history.
It was announced, this morning, that curling had the largest audience of any televised sport in the Winter Olympics. Why? It's a sport we don't see on a regular basis and it stimulated signficant interest. Should hockey, soccer, basketball, golf... should these sports we see on our televisions every season be part of the Olympic venue? Personally, I would much rather see more exotic sports... again, those we don't have the opportunity to view regularly. And, if we are to watch the more popular sports as part of the Olympics, I would like to see it be skilled amateurs rather than millionaires merely trying to pad their endorsement contracts.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

I don't think any professional athlete should be in the Olympics regardless of the sport.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
There are no other amateurs in the Olympics so why should golf be so handicapped?

Members online