• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Omen,Hogan stats

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
"In 292 career PGA Tour events, Ben Hogan finished in the Top 3 in 47.6-percent of them. He finished in the Top 10 in 241 of those 292 events."

Allow me to play devil's advocate here.

This is an amazing feat, no doubt about it, but, it must be put into context.
The depth of the fields back in Hogan's day was no where near as deep as the fields of today. When Hogan was in his prime there was maybe a handful of guys who were in contention week in, week out. Now, anybody can win on any week. The depth on the PGA tour is amazing and this is what makes me think Tiger is far and away the best player, ever. He is dominating in a time when dominating should not be possible. I would love to be able to see players of yesteryear play against players of today but unfortunately that simply isnt possible. Are the the players of today better than those of yesterday? Know one really knows if they are actually better, they are however, different.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Correct,its why I am always amazed no one on TV ever mentions this re Nelsons 11 straight wins,which ws during the war so the few players that could beat him weren't there,Snead and Hogan were drafted.Its very much alike Tiger going down at least 2 tours and winning every event,which he would.

I have never been that impressed at all by Nelson's record,he was a great golfer no doubt,but as you say,Tiger's dominance so much more.

Its the Hogan 'mystique' that lives on and makes the guy great to study,and of course the fact he dug out a swing he earned himself,plus his understanding of golf mechanics

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
What impresses me the most about Hogan was his perserverance and desire to win. The man was a horrible putter, and fought a hook his whole life (I know how demoralizing this combo can be first hand), yet fought through it and won, and then went out and won some more. Even after his accident he fought back and won. He is really is the epitome of hard work.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Totally,no one in sport has ever demonstrated this more than Hogan,especially when you consider what happened to his father and how poor they were.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.