• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

On Course Practice versus Range

riverc0il

Sep 13, 2008
Debating how to approach the season from the perspective of practice. I need a lot of it. In addition to lessons. Looking to have a minimum of one practice session per week, preferably two or maybe even three.

So the question becomes to I get a membership to a local uncrowded par 3 course or do I get a season pass for the local driving range? To better paint the picture, the local par 3 is dead every time I have played there. We are talking no more than 3 or 4 groups on the course at a time though more often than not 1 or 2 groups is normal and occasionally I'll be the only one out on the course. Since I play fast and the majority of club members there are older and play/walk slowly, if I run up against a slow group, it can be painful.

Having an uncrowded course with no one behind me and me bumping up into people would leave the option of doing "practice" on the course. Perhaps taking three balls from the tee and playing each ball through. Or setting up some pitching and chipping around the green or putting practice while waiting for the next tee to open. Granted this would never happen if a group was behind me, regardless.

Is this frowned upon or is this type of on course practice normal? I think I would enjoy practice more out on the course (as long as I approached each shot as practice and approached it as a practice session and not a game) since it is realistic. Down side is that the course is only a par 3 and gets old quick. Course is right on the way to work whereas the range is 15 minutes away from home. So with the course, I could do a few holes before or after work without inconvenience.

Perhaps it will come down to price but I don't think the membership will be much more than the range pass. What is the protocol for "practicing" on a course, specifically when the course is empty and there are no groups behind you?

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Both methods have there assets and deficits. The range allows for ingraining a swing change/muscle memory. With less time between shots focus on a particular aspect can be razor sharp.

Bringing that swing to the course is the deficit. Because of the time lag between swings it is difficult to gain a rhythm and repeatability to the pure mechanics of the swing.

The course practice helps with the transition of range practice. "Feel" is enhanced here along with "trust".

Both are necessary to have "game".

Sorry, wish it could be simpler but this is what I have learned over 20+ years of golf. Perhaps I'm a slow stubborn learner.:laugh:

Oh yeah----throwing down a few balls during a slow period is a secret sin most of us have committed. Me---I have sinned multiple times, no salvation is possible.:p

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd do a little of both but probably spend more time on the par 3 course. That way you are getting better at your short game at the same time. I see no problem in hitting extra balls, I do it all the time on par 3 courses. So long as I'm not holding anyone up, replace my divots, fix my pitchmarks (and a few others) and rake the bunker if I hit a few bunker shots.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
If cost is relatively the same I personally would get a range pass. That is if the range has something decent to aim your irons at. All that being said you did not mention short game only practice. I am talking about finding a course with a real chipping green and chipping 300 or so balls during a session. Then spending 1 hour on the putting green.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I practice on the course every chance I get. If the course is quiet then it isn't usually a big problem. I like to focus most of my on course practice around the greens, putting and chipping. Then I will work on my full swing out at the range. If you are looking to get a lot better quickly you will probably get more use out of the par 3 membership.

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
the course I have a membership to has a full range facility with a chipping green and 2 putting greens, I still go on the course when it isn't busy and hit 4 or 5 balls and practice chipping and pitch shots

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I would imagine the par 3 course has a driving range doesn't it? If it does, I'd suggest a membership there. Like Zaph said, playing extra balls is a secret sin we all have done. While it may not be smiled upon by the course, as long as you aren't holding anyone else up, and repair your divots you won't get in any real trouble for it.

You can go to the driving range and work on your Driver, but not to much. Short game is were your low scores come from anyway.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I hate range practice, I do no irons at all there ever. I will throw down 3-4-5 balls on my local course which is also never that busy after work. Gives me real world practice with actual targets, distances, etc to shoot at.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I'd go immediately with the par-3 option. You can play "real" situations and real shots in there. One thing I find the mot important is you an catually play YOUR BALL. I had the problem before of practicing a lot in the range with range balls, and then, when I came to the field, my shots were like 10 yards longer and I couldn't manage to compensate and calculate distances or which club to use for a certain shot.

You can go every once in a while to the range to try your driver and long irons, but you'll be doing most of your game training with the par-3 course...

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
My best practice comes from playing a round. I find it easier to play 9 holes a day, twice a week and not just 18 once a week. I get better and I get more time on the chipping green and putting green before and after each round.

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
I do that sometimes too if course is not busy, just play a couple balls. If i have a chip or a pitch (where i won't possibly launch balls 50-60yrds in diff directions), lol...and say i hit the chip TERRIBLE (or a putt too). I might drop another ball right where it was and hit the same shot a cpl more times til im satisified, and maybe a couple more after that to try to make what i did right stick to remember how it felt.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
You learn to hit shots on the range. You learn to play the game with the shots you learned on the range on the course.

Go to the range to learn to hit different shots. If you hit 50 flop shots in a row on the range, you're going to be much better at hitting flop shots. You can't learn to consistently work the ball left and right hitting a couple balls on an empty course. You learn to work the ball by trying to draw or fade 50 or 60 shots in a row on the range. Knock down shots, punch shots, high shots, pitch and roll shots, bunker shots. To become proficient and consistent takes repetition and patience. Set up to each shot, don't rush.

There was a thread the other day about the hinge and hold chipping style. IMO, the best way to learn a shot like that is to start at the range, keep your head down, and hit a 100 or so in a row. Learn what it feels like when the ball clicks off the club face using that technique. Don't worry about how hard, how far, etc. Just get that feel, then worry about the rest.

This kind of practice is not as fun as playing for most people, including me, but once a week will improve a novice immensely given fairly sound fundamentals. I understand its tough to practice like this at $10.00 a bucket, but the OP said he could get a range pass.

I've been playing this game for a long time, and haven't practiced like that in many years, but I did when I was younger. I have a lot of shots in my bag because of it. This year my daughter turns twelve in May, and is really taking to the game. We are going to have at least one long practice session each week at the range and around the chipping green and practice bunker at our course. I'm looking forward to it and expect to improve my consistency considerably.

Kevin

OP
R

riverc0il

Sep 13, 2008
Thanks for all the responses! But *sigh* lots of great responses pro and con in both directions that has only made the decision harder, LOL!

Information I did not include: the range has six greens of various distances with the yardage marked. It is a grass only range so no mats (except when raining/wet) and just as uncrowded as the local par 3 course (which does not have a range). The range has a practice green and bunker and has an honor system so I can do a bucket whenever it is light out.

Seems like the best option would be to get a membership at the course and a pass at the range, LOL. But that is getting expensive. If I get a range pass, I would prefer to actually play at better courses.

Sounds like I need to decide what is more important: realistic practice or grooving the swing. If "practicing" on the course with some extra balls when the course is quiet is generally an accepted practice, I might go for the range pass and do some "extra" practice on the course when I play there. I'll report back on my decision once the snow melts. Thanks everyone for giving me some more things to think about and letting me know it is not uncommon to hit some extra balls for practice on the course. Cheers!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The more I think about it, if the par 3 course is cheap, the range might be the better option. I played the par3 course near my house the other day and it was decent practice but not enough for me. Ideally, taking some lessons, working on the swing on the range and then testing it like once a week or so on the par 3 would be ideal.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.