• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

On the subject of club hoing!

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I was just thinking about my collection of clubs over the past 4 years. In the year of 2003, I spent in the region of £2000 - £3000 on clubs. It seemed that I bought a new club every week, i went through 3 drivers, 2 sets of irons a few sets of wedges, a couple of putters and bought a tour bag. At the time I was 15 years old so how I got the money or convinced my parents to let me get all these clubs is beyond me. Any in the past year I have bought one club and the year before that I don't think I bought anything! So my ho'in has stopped.

Just curious to know how much you spend on clubs a year and what's the most you have ever spent in a year.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hmm. Dollar wise, I have no clue. I'm pretty cheap.

My most productive year was 2004, by far. I completely overhauled my bag twice, from top to bottom. I musta bought 20 wedges that year too. (I know, I'm an idiot).

Last year, I got new irons, a new driver, reshafted everything in my bag except my putter and bought new wedges.

If I had spent £3000 on clubs, I'd be playing an entire Tour Only set. That's a ridiculous amount of money.

R35

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
Back in 2001, I spent maybe $2500 for the year. I just had to have the Titleist 681s. What made if worse was I didn't even have a job at the time.

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
If I had spent £3000 on clubs, I'd be playing an entire Tour Only set. That's a ridiculous amount of money.

R35

The problem was, I kept replacing the driver because I didn't like it. I also kept replacing other clubs. And I wasn't wise then, and didn't have a vast knowledge so just bought whatever. What I would do to have 3k now, I would get custom fitted and have such a sweet set. :(

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006

R35

I have had an ebay account for 11 months and had to become paypal verified because I had recieved more than £4500 in this time. I have about £700 in my account the rest has gone on fees and golf clubs. It hasn't really cost me a penny because I moved back to my parents last year after the SPLIT and sold my spare clubs which got me about £1000 to start with the rest has just been through buying and selling, I think.

This season I have had about 20 drivers, 6 iron sets, 8 putters, 6 wedges and 3 bags. Mainly because I've got access to the internet now and spend a lot of time on this forum or ebay, Hoing or talking about Hoing. It passes the hours and stops me dwelling on the dark days of the past couple of years. :D

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I have had an ebay account for 11 months and had to become paypal verified because I had recieved more than £4500 in this time. I have about £700 in my account the rest has gone on fees and golf clubs. It hasn't really cost me a penny because I moved back to my parents last year after the SPLIT and sold my spare clubs which got me about £1000 to start with the rest has just been through buying and selling, I think.

This season I have had about 20 drivers, 6 iron sets, 8 putters, 6 wedges and 3 bags. Mainly because I've got access to the internet now and spend a lot of time on this forum or ebay, Hoing or talking about Hoing. It passes the hours and stops me dwelling on the dark days of the past couple of years. :D

Crazy!!! That is some serious ho'ing. Since getting my hands on a credit card I thought I would catch the eBay bug, but thankfully not yet lol! I use to spend hours just surfing clubs when I was younger.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Crazy!!! That is some serious ho'ing.

I have spent nearly £500 tonight on a set of Cally X tours & a set of Cally X14 pro series with project x shafts. Next to come is a Cally british open tour bag (white orange) with headcovers, new Cally shoes and then just the small matter of an FT-I as soon as I find a 9.5 tour with V2 shaft.

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I have spent nearly £500 tonight on a set of Cally X tours & a set of Cally X14 pro series with project x shafts. Next to come is a Cally british open tour bag (white orange) with headcovers, new Cally shoes and then just the small matter of an FT-I as soon as I find a 9.5 tour with V2 shaft.

What do you work as ?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't spend as much as you might think. I usually sell something to buy another. I bought my Miura's with the $$ I got from my 690MB's and a wedge I sold to Rock. I sold my R7 and actually paid less than I sold it for to gain an R7TP. I try to buy equipment that will hold it's value and then unload it quickly if I am not pleased with it. Also would rather just buy one with the shaft I want rather than reshaft it. Shafts are like putting rims on a car, might cost like $2000 but good luck trying to get $2000 more based on the rims. I can tell pretty quick whether a piece of equipment has potential or not. Hoing is more of little business/hobby, the goal is to move up to the best you can with smallest amount of $$ spent.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
What do you work as ?

I'm a data communications engineer. I don't earn mega crust but not a bad wage. As I've moved back to my parents I have next to nothing to pay out so have a large percentage of my wages that is disposable. I have my little boy on the weekend friday through to sunday so don't p*ss it up the wall like I used to in the past. A bit like Ezra I buy ans sell a lot of clubs so it's just like the same £1000 going in and out.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
I have basically changed my bag completely since this time last year, with the exception of my hybrid and 3 wood. I look for ages on ebay until I find a good deal and then I pounce.

Example:
Driver £120
Irons + 56* £210
50* + 60* $150
Hoganardi putter £85

All of these were shipped to my door. I'm most proud of the deal I got on my irons

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
On eBay I tend to lie in the long grass and look at a few auctions to grasp the going price for an item and then set a ceiling as to what I'm prepared to pay... it's like buses there'll be another one around shortly. TE Exotics was pulled in from Chicago for $ 220, when the shops here were asking €500 or $670 for them.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I was just thinking about my collection of clubs over the past 4 years. In the year of 2003, I spent in the region of £2000 - £3000 on clubs. It seemed that I bought a new club every week, i went through 3 drivers, 2 sets of irons a few sets of wedges, a couple of putters and bought a tour bag. At the time I was 15 years old so how I got the money or convinced my parents to let me get all these clubs is beyond me. Any in the past year I have bought one club and the year before that I don't think I bought anything! So my ho'in has stopped.

Just curious to know how much you spend on clubs a year and what's the most you have ever spent in a year.

:eek: :eek: :eek: and, um, :eek:

!
!
!
!

Ridiculous amount of money is right, Rock. Maybe if you were a millionaire (you might well be, of course), but gee whizz, that is truely shocking !!!!...and...um '!'

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005

Aww man, that sounds real good !! That Callaway Tour Bag is the shizzle !! Lol @ TWO sets. You are a mad 'un ! :D :)

I think I might go for a set of custom-fit MP67's after Xmas when I hopefully get a decent job and start living a decent life. Be sad to leave my precious TM 300's - they have been extremely good to me...:(

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
I have basically changed my bag completely since this time last year, with the exception of my hybrid and 3 wood. I look for ages on ebay until I find a good deal and then I pounce.

Example:
Driver £120
Irons + 56* £210
50* + 60* $150
Hoganardi putter £85

All of these were shipped to my door. I'm most proud of the deal I got on my irons
emc
you got the 32s and a 56 for 210?

🔥 Latest posts