• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

One of my worst days ever

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I realize that to some, one of my worst days ever may seem trite, but today nearly took the cake.

It started off well - my friend Chris's birthday, so we decided to go play pitch and putt with my gf, Chris, and a third friend as Chris lives literally a five minute walk from probably the best pitch and putt in the Vancouver area. When we got to Chris's, my gf and I threw some stuff in the trunk of my car including the faceplate to my stereo, my wallet (containing the $200 I had just been paid for my Mizuno MP-001 that I sold as well as another $80 or so), her purse (which had in it her wallet, her cell, her keys for both home and work, her glasses and the sunglass clip-ons that she needs or she gets migraines, and my house keys as well as her spare car key), my gym bag, my badminton racquet as we were slated to go to the gym with Chris for his birthday for some basketball and badminton, and a few other goodies. I felt comfortable leaving these in my trunk as my car is alarmed (with an engine kill) and the only way to disable the alarm is to disconnect the battery, so the car itself cannot be stolen. The driver's front trunk release is locked off because of a break in a couple of years ago (in which I got my brother's clubs stolen) and the seats do not fold down without being unlocked, so the trunk is pretty much impenetrable without prying it open (not a common thing out here) or tearing through the back seat (not common either - takes too long).

At Chris's, neither Chris nor our third friend wanted to walk to the course as the third was sore from something and Chris had just woken up, so we piled into my car and drove the 400 metres to the course, straight up the street.

We played our round and had fun but as we walked back to the car, I recognized the tell tale sign that something was wrong - the hood wasn't latched. This has happened every time my car has been broken into as the method of choice for disabling the alarm. The drawback to the 94 Civic is the ease of which the doors are unlocked with a slim jim. Sure enough, the car has been broken into, but I didn't think too much of it because everything was safely in the trunk. The stereo was still there, albeit damaged because they tried to pry it out but failed. My gf goes to check the trunk, just to make sure, and sure enough, she just pulls it open - no keys needed.

Somehow, and I have yet to figure out how, they got into the trunk without doing ANY damage. I know the trunk was secure (you need the key to open it and the "open trunk" light had not been on during the drive to the course so we had definitely closed it).

At first, we just thought of the wallet/purse situation and were upset at the loss of the money, the time to get everything sorted out, the cost of replacing her glasses, cell, how to get a new faceplate, etc.

It wasn't until we were part way home that we realized the key situation. The remaining 15 minutes in the drive were literally the most stressful of my life. We were honestly not sure if my gf's car would be there when we got home, if we would have had our home broken into, how this could all be explained to the insurance company, and were just experiencing the sheer gut wrenching torment of victimization. The only thing we had to hope for was that it was midday and that our landlords would be home (we live in a basement suite) and so the odds of the worst of the worst happening was slim. We didn't even have keys to get into our own house - no keys for her car at all - no money - only my one car key that I'd kept on me during the round, and her debit card because she paid.

Fortunately, when we rounded the corner, her car was still out front, untouched, and the house had not been broken into. Our landlord was home, however he couldn't find the key to our suite - either for the outside door or the door from the inside of the house. We were locked out and had no method of getting in! He really should find those keys. He took us downstairs, took the screen off the window, and proceeded to simply push up on it and this was sufficient to unlatch the stopper that prevents the window from being opened and slid our kitchen window open. That was a whole different sinking sensation - realizing that even without this, our home wasn't even remotely safe for anyone with 10 seconds of time and a little bit of initiative.

The rest of the day was spent getting a new deadbolt and replacing the lock, cancelling credit cards (hers had been used for $75 in gas), and generally getting life sorted out. Neither of our cars are safe right now though, as they have keys to both of our cars as well as our address, so it wouldn't be hard to simply come and have their way with the cars. Our only slight method of protection was to part the cars up against the garage door and have our landlords park behind us until we can get the cars rekeyed. The better part of the day was also spent sickly wondering how much damage this will ultimately cause and feeling totally and utterly victimized. Wondering where we went wrong...was the trunk really closed? What if we had walked? Why didn't we leave our stuff IN Chris's house? Did someone see us outside Chris's and know exactly what to take? How were we so stupid? Should I have known that my trunk could be broken into so easily? How lucky am I that I didn't bring my cell phone (new phone worth a few hundred bucks) or my whole golf bag? How lucky am I that this hadn't happened any of the other few dozen times I'd left my clubs in the trunk?

I know it's just stuff, and that's fine...the money...whatever. It all comes down to the keys. Even now, I still feel uncertain and edgy thinking about it.

Not a good day.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
That totally sucks. The fact that everything (well mostly) is insured is just irrelevant when you think of the time and efforts, not to mention the stress involved in what goes on afterwards.

I had my car broken into once and they completely stripped it. I have a package policy on all my vehicles, but the fact was that I was without my car for almost a week. Sure, i got a rental, but I had to drive down the to dealership many time to OK work, ect. That's time you never get back. Not to mention that the car looks the same when they're done with it, but you know that it isn't.

What a pain in the ass. I feel for you. I've always said that if I ever caught anyone breaking into my car, I'd smash their knees with a baseball bat, and then render them blind with bug spray, or if I felt up to it, spray paint. I would never report it, and just dump the guy/girl in some dumpster someplace.

Funny story about car theft.....it's been a big problem here in the city. The police got so fed up with kids (usually kids of higher profile citizens, not street kids) breaking into cars or stealing them for joy rides, getting caught and laughing about getting caught because they were underage. So, the police announced that on auto theft cases, the K-9 unit would be sent in before any policemen would "put themselves in danger." The first kid that played with fire got pretty f'd up by a big German Shepard, and was also charged with assault on a police officer for trying to hit the dog off his arm with a bottle.

Needless to say, once word got out about it, the numbers of auto thefts in the city went down tremendously....

R35

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Actually, in BC, about the only thing that insurance will cover is the damage to the stereo. Anything that's not nailed down isn't covered.

Sucks.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
This is terrible. I could say something like, look on the bright side, but I know you don't want to hear that, so I won't.

Good luck with replacing all of your stuff and the fight you will have on your hands with the insurance company.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Sorry to hear all this Silver. That sucks how insurance works there because theft is just part of the policy here. Not sure about the cash though.

MY wife and I have talked about moving back into the city often and one of reasons we haven't is crime. Your experience just reinforces the reasons we moved to where we live.

I hope it all works out without too much trouble.

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Well, today we're getting the cars rekeyed for a very reasonable $350 combined.

Shopping around gave us the next best price of $580, and the guy that's doing it for $350 comes well recommended, so that's good enough for me.

A little piece of mind goes a long way.

DaveE, theft is part of the policy here too, but just not stuff that can be snatched easily. The car stereo will be covered, but not the wallet, etc. I guess it's a "you leave it in your car, it's your own stupid fault" policy.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.