• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

One of the most exciting majors ever...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I watched every shot of the final group. This was one of the most gripping majors I've ever seen. Stricker's complete flatblade meltdown...Sergio under massive pressure early on then battled back gamely. Romero comes out of another galaxy to seize the lead for all of 10 minutes, only to experience the "Carnoutie mental illness" that seems to invade player's brains there (a la Van De Velde). His 2 iron selection was utter madness. Then Harrington makes the magnificent eagle to seize control. And his meltdown a la Van De Velde on the last....then Sergio's superb bunker shot only to see the putt slide agonizingly by.

As the years pass (and I know there are many here who disagree) I become more and more pleased in watching the Open Championship vs. The US Open.

One other thing: I want to see much more of Carnoustie in the rota. That course should be featured every five years IMHO. 15-18 are the hardest finishing holes in golf. No need to set the course up in some tricked up manner. The Burn - although narrow, is a heartbreaker....

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
One other thing: I want to see much more of Carnoustie in the rota. That course should be featured every five years IMHO. 15-18 are the hardest finishing holes in golf. No need to set the course up in some tricked up manner. The Burn - although narrow, is a heartbreaker....

I agree. More Carnoustie - what a great set-up they had there this week. Some of the other rota courses (St Andrews, Hoylake etc) are just too easy for todays top golfers.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
It's undoubtedly one of the top 3 venues for The Open - the closing stretch takes a lot of playing under pressure and will always create much drama. I thought the course and the players were outstanding this week, it was everything a Major should be.

Last time I think they just wanted to show how tough it was after a 24 year gap and overdid it. This time we got one of the best tournaments I can remember. At the start of the day you'd have been sectioned for suggesting that 4 people would lead at various times as it looked a 2 horse race.

I am sure that after this the R&A will be keen to get it back there pronto. I'd also like to see it go back to NI again. Royal Portrush would do a grand job too.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Absolutely the best. I made my girlfriend watch the last 2 hours in Hi-Def, and she was screaming and groaning :D when shots were made or missed. And she knows NOTHING about the players or golf.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.