• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

One of those rounds

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
The NS Amateur is at Lingan this year and today I was playing there in the evening to get a feel for the course. It was windy and soft, we played from the tips which would be around 6800 and played much longer. I shot 72 with 6 birdies, a double and 4 bogies. My irons were perfect but my driver was erratic. My scorecard was pretty sick.

4, 2, 4, 3, 6, 2, 6, 3, 5
4, 4, 4, 2, 5, 4, 6, 3, 5

I need help with the tempo for my driving. My body is stoping through the swing and causing hooks or blocks.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Cripes. Putting those 2's on the card, you need hit a GD fairway with anything and give those irons a chance. Hit 3w's and 8i's if the conditions firm up a little.

OP
J

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Anything with the woods is pretty erratic. I am putting my 2 iron in the bag but like last year the par 5`s are usually my problem holes. I have little confidence in the driver but still wack it out there 280 consistantly.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ok, so here's the 12 trying to give the 1.7 advice...
icon10.gif
I play driver on par 5's I can reach in 2. I just play to my worst miss, block right. If I block it, I block it, no big deal. Just punch out and play it in 3. 280 puts you what, 250 out on 530. I'm sure at 1.7 you can puch cut or trap something 100yds. for a 9i in. Eagle is big, big momentum changer, keep it in the equation but don't let it take birdie out.

OP
J

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Ok, so here's the 12 trying to give the 1.7 advice...
icon10.gif
I play driver on par 5's I can reach in 2. I just play to my worst miss, block right. If I block it, I block it, no big deal. Just punch out and play it in 3. 280 puts you what, 250 out on 530. I'm sure at 1.7 you can puch cut or trap something 100yds. for a 9i in. Eagle is big, big momentum changer, keep it in the equation but don't let it take birdie out.
The problem is with the driver my body often times stops moving and the miss is both sides of the fairway. Either a quicker hook or a block. I found a weighted driver helps but my maximus isn`t in yet.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I had a miserable driving round the last week, left it in the bag the last twelve holes since I had no real idea where it was going. After spending some time at the range following the round, I discovered that I had crept away from the ball a little bit and I was a bit hunched over. With the driver, I tend to stand just a bit taller and try and swing a little flatter to keep the club on plane and to hit the ball at the lowest point in my arc. Having not seen your swing with the woods, it would be hard to offer anything specific, but that is what I encounter when the driver goes a little haywire.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Printable Scorecard
scorecard

Tournaments

leadboard will be there Wed for anyone whos wants see how I hack around.

Good luck man. If that is playing to those lengths on the par 5's, I'd imagine someone is going to light it up. Is this a junior tounament or any age? The amatuer events around here have guys from Div 1 colleges and guys up to 50yrs. old. Pretty cool. You get kids with 125mph SS vs. guys that'll hole everything inside of 35ft.. I saw one of the kids last year playing in a group behind me at Triggs. 455yd. par 4 and he hit a LW in from 90yds., insane long. I heard he drove the 10th hole on the fly, 350yds., a bit downhill but all carry. I have to get out and watch those guys sometime.

OP
J

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Its a different climate in Nova Scotia. 6800 plays to about 7100 in Florida. 3 of the par 5`s are a joke on this course, Driver 7 iron into 1, Driver 9 iron into 10 and 9 I hit a bad drive. You are right though, people will light this course up. I made 6 birdies with a poor driver. The skill level in the USA is much higher then in Canada also.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I bomb it in FL. I'm in RI. Highest elevation I play at is 200ft. above sea level. Lowest is +4... the 635yd. par 5 at Swansea CC, that's a long a$$ hole. It's funny how much weather and elevation has an effect though. I'm 15yds. longer with driver and 3W since like March. Irons are also carrying very long this time of year. Noticed that a lot last round.

Play your game man. I don't know if that's a common round for you but if so, take advantage of the ballstriking. Sounds like you need to work on a ballflight off the tee you are comfortable with eventually. Not really something you could really prepare for this quick though. Have fun out there.

OP
J

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
I bomb it in FL. I'm in RI. Highest elevation I play at is 200ft. above sea level. Lowest is +4... the 635yd. par 5 at Swansea CC, that's a long a$$ hole. It's funny how much weather and elevation has an effect though. I'm 15yds. longer with driver and 3W since like March. Irons are also carrying very long this time of year. Noticed that a lot last round.

Play your game man. I don't know if that's a common round for you but if so, take advantage of the ballstriking. Sounds like you need to work on a ballflight off the tee you are comfortable with eventually. Not really something you could really prepare for this quick though. Have fun out there.
Your right, my key is not to think about my swing at all throughout the round. Think tempo and and keeping loose and the drives will come. BTW I have a 110 clubhead speed and only fly the ball 270-275 in Nova Scotia. My brother has about a 103 MPH swing and hits it 290 out in Alberta....evelevation, moisture and tempurature means everything when flying a golf ball.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm only getting about 265 here with 107 avg. SS. Twofast is not all that much longer and he's at 116 avg.. I personally think he's getting too much spin out of his new driver setup though. Down in FL last year I was on a cart with GPS. Hit a drive over 300 then what was more impressive, a 217yd. 5iron, exactly pin high on the green. Ball just seems to go a bit longer down there for me.

As for drives, I get the two way miss as well. What I find is that I need 2 targets essentially. When I can line the face up straight at a target then pick one slightly left of it to draw it off, that's when I get the best drives. If I just try to hit it up the left side, I'll pull it. If I just try to draw it with no distinct start target, that's when I block it. When I'm swinging well, I can pick one target, dead straight and hit right at it. This is why I carry a 13* 3W though. If I can't find a comfortable target, go to the 3W. That draws every time regardless.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Its a different climate in Nova Scotia. 6800 plays to about 7100 in Florida. 3 of the par 5`s are a joke on this course, Driver 7 iron into 1, Driver 9 iron into 10 and 9 I hit a bad drive. You are right though, people will light this course up. I made 6 birdies with a poor driver. The skill level in the USA is much higher then in Canada also.

Maybe in NS, in BC its tough as hell.

The guy who won medalist in the BC AM qualifier for our zone shot 70-67 (the 70 could have been a 63 easily as he made no putts at all, i played with him the first day).

FYI, he's 14 years old.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
We get some decent players in RI from time to time. Looking over the past state amatuer winners...

Brad Faxon
Billy Andrade
Brett Quigley
Patrick Sheehan
Brad Adamonis

All on the PGA tour now.
icon10.gif

🔥 Latest posts