• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Only In Tenn.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Man kills deer with a stick, donning no more than boxers and sandals.

By BRIAN EASON • GANNETT TENNESSEE • December 29, 2009

CLARKSVILLE — Joel Borden, raised in Savannah (population, 7,000), is a true country boy, he says. His friends agree: After moving to Clarksville a few months ago, he was quickly given the nickname "country."

And on Saturday morning, after a wounded deer stumbled into his backyard, he earned the nickname.

"I killed it with a stick," Borden said. "My friends are making a big deal of it because I didn't have anything on but boxers and a pair of sandals."

He found the deer when he went into the kitchen to get coffee — it had been shot in the neck, and didn't flee at the sight of Borden. That changed when Borden grabbed a severed, shoulder-height tree limb and gave chase into the nearby woods.

There, Borden hit the deer in the head until it lost consciousness, breaking off an antler in the process. To put the animal out of its misery, Borden cut its throat then called authorities.

Situations like Borden's are not uncommon — though his method of putting the deer down was certainly unconventional. Dale Grandstaff, an officer with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, said the agency often fields calls from residents who have a wounded deer on their property because a hunter didn't finish the job.

"Basically, we don't like for the animal to suffer," Grandstaff said. "The best thing a hunter can do is make sure of their shot — you don't want to have to track (a wounded deer)."

For a seasoned hunter like Borden, the recommended course of action is to kill the animal to end its suffering. Borden recovered a refrigerator's worth of meat for his trouble.

Others are encouraged to contact wildlife officials or law enforcement to take care of the deer.

"I had to go to a house just about a month and a half ago," Grandstaff said. "There was actually a deer in the lady's pool.

"This deer had walked right on top of the covering (it had been drained for the winter), ripped it and fell into the pool. There was some water still in it, so it was just swimming in circles. He had probably been there 12 to 24 hours."

He said he used a rope as a lasso to pull the deer out. The deer was then set free and, hopefully, he said, came through the ordeal alive and well.

Deer in Montgomery County

Deer populations have been lower than usual the past two years after many died in 2007 from epizootic hemorrhagic disease — a gnat-borne illness that afflicts white-tailed deer more than any other animal.

Grandstaff said he expected deer numbers to return to higher levels by next fall, after what he said should be a good spring for wildlife.

Though the wildlife agency prefers population levels closer to where they are now, that will be good news to hunters, who saw a decade-low deer harvest in recent years.

Montgomery County, Grandstaff said, typically ranks in the top 10 of 95 Tennessee counties in deer hunting totals. Montgomery County is No. 1 in the state for large deer with 10 or more points, making it a popular destination for trophy hunters.

For assistance with a wounded deer, contact 615-781-6581 if you live outside the city limits. Clarksville and Montgomery County residents also can contact the Clarksville Police Department or the Sheriff's Office.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
My dad put down a deer on our property after it had been hit by a car about 5 years ago. Both hind legs broken. He used the .357, not quite as redneck as a stick and a knife. He was also wearing clothes...

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My opinion...the deer obviously needed to be put down. It was slowly dieing and the only humane thing to do was put it out of its misery.

Now, if the only option he had was a stick and knife then i guess thats what he had to do, however, if he were a REAL country boy, he would have a weapon on hand to handle things of this nature.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My opinion...the deer obviously needed to be put down. It was slowly dieing and the only humane thing to do was put it out of its misery.

Now, if the only option he had was a stick and knife then i guess thats what he had to do, however, if he were a REAL country boy, he would have a weapon on hand to handle things of this nature.

Real country boy? wtf? You're from Wisconson!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.