• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Only one way to chip, millions of ways to putt

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yet do so many handicap players thing they know better? On tele, most prose will avoid check spin, they will use a 9 iron and get the ball rolling. Ball back in stance, hands forward, hands go through he ball leading the head, ONLY ONE WAY.

Yet again I played with a 12 handicapper with 4 wedges, didn't have a clue which to use, but used them all anway. I tried telling him his ball wasn't in 4" bermuda next to the green running at 16, he was at a local muni and he enough room to use his driver and get the ball to stop. So he skulled it.

Whats so hard about using the BEST CLUB TO CHIP WITH, a 9 iron, and just keeping it simple?

I guarantee anyone in here who has a double digit handicap they will; get 10 balls closer to the flag using a 9 iron if you normal club is a wedge. How much?

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I use 2 clubs for chipping, depending on the situation. My most used club is my 45° PW. When I need more carry, I switch to the 52° gap wedge. My PW is lofted like a 9I used to be, so it works just fine to roll the ball to the hole.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I use up to 5 different clubs for "chips" and then I have been known to pul out a wood to roll a ball through some fringe and onto a green. I think that if you are not putting a lot of time into practicing then you should only use one club, and work at getting good with it. If you are willing to put in the time then you can step up to using several wedges.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
I'll use my 56 degree SW 95% of the time when just off the green. I'll de-loft, or loft the angle of attack as the situation warrants. Makes things so much easier.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yet do so many handicap players thing they know better? On tele, most prose will avoid check spin, they will use a 9 iron and get the ball rolling. Ball back in stance, hands forward, hands go through he ball leading the head, ONLY ONE WAY.

Yet again I played with a 12 handicapper with 4 wedges, didn't have a clue which to use, but used them all anway. I tried telling him his ball wasn't in 4" bermuda next to the green running at 16, he was at a local muni and he enough room to use his driver and get the ball to stop. So he skulled it.

Whats so hard about using the BEST CLUB TO CHIP WITH, a 9 iron, and just keeping it simple?

I guarantee anyone in here who has a double digit handicap they will; get 10 balls closer to the flag using a 9 iron if you normal club is a wedge. How much?

This is spot on! I used to be one of those guys with 4 wedges. I had my PW, 51* gap, 56* sand and a 60* LW. I would get within 50 yds of the green and sometimes just stare at my bag not knowing what the heck to hit.

This year, I decided I was going to walk more so I dumped a wedge and could probably dump another. I went to a PW and 54/58* wedges and the 58* almost never comes out of the bag. I started chipping more with my PW and my short game has seen some improvement even though its early in the season.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I primarily will only use my 52* for chipping if I am within a few feet of the green and assuming the pin is more than 5 feet away. If I get more than 10' feet off the green all bets are off on which of my 4 wedges I will use, however I have the distances marked on the shaft so I do know which one is the right club for the right job.

Although assuming I can use a normal chipping swing where the ball will get on the green and not run past the pin on what it would require to reach the green, it will be my 52* whenever possible. If I can get the job done with my 52*, it is my primary choice. I do not carry a PW, although my 9i is about the same as many PW's. Although you will rarely see me use a 9i for chipping or pitching as we play fairly small greens.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I'll use my 56 degree SW 95% of the time when just off the green. I'll de-loft, or loft the angle of attack as the situation warrants. Makes things so much easier.

in what way? why deloft a club when you have another club in the bag er, already bat the required loft? Just increasing the risk factor, makes no sense whatsoever

fisher

Nov 16, 2008

This post is so true. When I started out I used a 60* for almost all shots around the green. Now I use P, 9, or occasionally an 8 depending on how much roll I want. What a difference that change has made. I use the 9 the most. If I'm short sided I use the P and if its a real long one I use the 8. The only time the other wedges come out is if the ball is down in the thick stuff.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I carry my PW, GW & a 53º, that's it & they work fine for me. I actually use the GW for the vast majority of chips.

I tried using an 8iron last year to chip, couldn't get it to work right.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
just like putting it's a matter of "feel". I use my 52* or 60*. forward or back in my stance depending how I want to advance the ball. It's Imagination then execution.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
For people who don't have the time to practice much, I agree with dave.. I have taught my wife to use either 7 iron or SW depending on the length needed and she has become quite deadly with both.

I on the other hand, play a lot more and will use any club in the bag except my driver for chips. It really depends on the shot needed.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Worked today with my 11 year old daughter on the 9i pitch and roll. "Hey, Daddy, this works really good. And it's kinda easy."

Out of the mouth of babes.

Kevin

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
" I tried telling him his ball wasn't in 4" bermuda next . . . . ."

There's the biggest problem. Unsolicted advice on the course. I disagree that there is only one way to chip and that the pros only chip with a 9 iron. Some chips call for loft, others call for run.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online