• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Only one way to chip, millions of ways to putt

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I suck on the scorecard, but am actually pretty good at chipping. I read a lot of things that emphasized short game so I took note. I have 4 wedges pw44, gw50, sw55, and lw60. I practice a lot with all of them, but mainly the gw and sw. I deloft all my wedges... heck for that matter I deloft just about every club except driver cause that's how I can strike the ball the best. I have the best success doing something similar to the Phil shot with all chipping and pitching.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've heard a lot of people say "chip like a putt". Well I kick ass at chipping and suck at putting, so why would I do that? I'd rather putt like I chip... that'd be interesting.
icon10.gif

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
" I tried telling him his ball wasn't in 4" bermuda next . . . . ."

There's the biggest problem. Unsolicted advice on the course. I disagree that there is only one way to chip and that the pros only chip with a 9 iron. Some chips call for loft, others call for run.

and this chip did not call for a lob wedge, sat up 10 yards from the flag on the first cut

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
in what way? why deloft a club when you have another club in the bag er, already bat the required loft? Just increasing the risk factor, makes no sense whatsoever

By "de-loft" I meant close the club face, or open, as the case may warrant. And will also adjust my follow through depending on if I want roll, or stick. I guess I'm more comfortable doing this, as it's how I practice on the putting greens, and have gotten fairly good at it.

Of course there are situations where I'll need a lot of roll, and wont use the 56, but like I said, 95% of the time it's the wedge.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
By "de-loft" I meant close the club face, or open, as the case may warrant. And will also adjust my follow through depending on if I want roll, or stick. I guess I'm more comfortable doing this, as it's how I practice on the putting greens, and have gotten fairly good at it.

Of course there are situations where I'll need a lot of roll, and wont use the 56, but like I said, 95% of the time it's the wedge.

Same here. I used to use my 50* wedge all the time, now I use the 55 and the 60. I have the standard, the runner and the plopper, lol. I don't really adjust face angle as much as my stance to create a cut spin on the higher/shorter ones. Eventually I'd like to try to incorporate the PW more. I like using the higher lofts now because I have to make a more agressive chip, borderline pitch sometimes. I feel that forces me to accelerate through the ball and takes the chunker out of play, which would be my only flaw in chipping.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
and this chip did not call for a lob wedge, sat up 10 yards from the flag on the first cut

If you're talking 10yds. of green, I'd agree with you. Especially uphill. Fact is, around here we have very small greens. A green 10yds. x 10yds. would be the biggest one on the course by far. That's why I laugh when I see a pro is leading the tournament with an average of like 29' from the stick on approach shots, that'll be like 13 GIR on a lot of courses I play. Down in FL, different story. I was using down to a 7iron to chip to get it rolling up over ridges.

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Umm, i use a 52* for lengthy pitch/chips, and a 56* for right around the green. I read that stan utley book, haha. Really helped my consistency tho. My handicap is def pretty high tho i never figured it out. Alls i know is my chipping is better now then its ever been, lol.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I must apologize to the golf gods for bragging of my chipping prowess. I suck and should really start using the PW more.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I must apologize to the golf gods for bragging of my chipping prowess. I suck and should really start using the PW more.

You should know better. The moment you even had those thoughts you were doomed to at least one round of hideous chipping. You took it one step beyond accepting that bet... who knows what's in store for you.

Members online

No members online now.