• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Opening a golf bar. Am I crazy?

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
My friend and I have been kicking around an idea to open a sports bar centered around multiple golf simulators. We have both been in the restaurant business for a number of years including managing the day to day operations of multiple night clubs / restaurants so please no "Running your own place will be really hard and a pain in the ass" we know what we're getting into as far as that goes.

I'm just curious about whether or not this specific idea is a good one or not. We would setup 4-5 high end golf simulators and of course your other sports bar basics (flat screens, burgers, wings, pool table, Golden Tee). There is no other place like this in the area. Our winters aren't bad but enough where there are 3-4 months where golfing is not an option. I think we could do well running different events (tournaments, leagues, long drive comps) and charging an hourly fee to play. Even in the summer I think we could still get a good crowd on rainy days, in the evenings and even the occasional person that doesn't have time to play a 4 hour round as well as the young video game generation.

I am trying to cater to drinkers looking for something fun to do at the bars and secondly to golfers as I know most avid golfers don't take simulators very seriously all though the technology is getting better.

So is this a place that you would hang out in with your buddies on a Thursday or Friday night or hold a company party at?

Also do you have any opinions on golf simulators? I have looked into the TruGolf with E6 software which has a supplier close to me so that is option one and the FullSwing but I don't think I have $55k to throw at that one, and also the AboutGolf PGA simulator.

Any recommendations or thoughts are welcome.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Honestly, Drunks swinging golfclubs and hitting balls anywhere near people indoors sounds like a bad bad idea. I'd be curious what the liabilty premium would be for that venture.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Rosmo, it seems like a good idea but you'd know better than I.

All I wanted to add is that if you could have a golf related activity that women could take part in as well as men, you'd make a killing if marketed properly. In my neck of the woods (Australia) there's plenty of businesses that look for a team building social type activity for staff. A golf complex near me added a putt putt course a couple of years ago and it's doing exceptionally well. Victoria Park Putt Putt
puttputt-thumb4.jpg

Also a non-golf activity, barefoot bowls is becoming really popular with corporates for their staff functions.
atheboo.net.au_wp_wp_content_uploads_excitement2_350x350.jpg

What I'm trying to say is that if you can offer some sort of social outlet for both genders at your bar which doesn't necessarily take a lot of skill or brute strength to take part, you'd have people walking through your doors. Hope this helps.

OP
Rosmo

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
Honestly, Drunks swinging golfclubs and hitting balls anywhere near people indoors sounds like a bad bad idea. I'd be curious what the liabilty premium would be for that venture.

Yes that thought has indeed crossed my mind. I may need to look into putting a bit of separation between the simulators and the actual bar.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
As for simulators you should be able to find good used ones on-line. With all the golf facilities going out of business and sucking wind there should be plenty out there.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
There's a place kinda like what you talk about in Williston, VT. From what I hear its about the most fun you can have with your clothes on in the winter here in VT if your not a skier, boarder or snowmobiler.

Where is this going to be? I would imagine it would do much better in a place that doesn't allow golfers to actually golf for several months of the year, otherwise you could just go to the course. The place in VT serves alcohol but also bar type food (burgers, wings etc.).

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The indoor simulator places we have in town here are all licensed and thrive on the liquor sales. if you seperate the two, you're going to be losing one or the other. Combine them and just be diligent in managing the consumption level to morons.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been a single incident that would require a re-think of combining the two. Most guys want to come out, swing some sticks, have a couple beers - just like they do on course. Nothing changes because it's indoors.

R35

🔥 Latest posts