• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Opinions on the right arm and club head speed

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
United States United States
Im a fairly short hitter. Dont get me wrong on occasion Ive cleared 450 yards between a tee shot and a first fairway shot on a long par 5, which for me is the high end, but that doesnt happen every day. Usually its more like a little over 400 yards for two shots. I think I may have lost a little by having heavier steel shafts compared to the lighter graphite of a friends clubs Ive used when I get the longer drives, not sure.

But anyway, Im always reading articles about getting more distance...arent we all....but with the right arm in particular.
I thought maybe I could ask here and get some thoughts from you guys and then go to the range the next few days and try the different things you suggest and see what works for me.

Im hoping by May or so I can maybe be playing a lot better.
I did pretty well yesterday as far as accuracy. I played from the blues since everyone else was and still ended up getting bogey on the #1 handicap hole at my home course (Mentel), so Im not entirely unhappy given I used a 3 wood off the tee instead of a driver like the other guys, but I know Im not getting the clubhead speed they get because our second shots are them with a 6 iron and me with a 2 hybrid or something longer.

Thanks for any ideas and insight.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'm short with my irons. It doesn't matter as long as you know how far you hit them. Distance with irons is overrated. Graphite shafts might help because they're lighter. I've never tried them on irons. I've been using the light drivers the last few years (Burner 2.0 and now RBZ stage 2) which are D6 swingweight and it's made a huge difference for me on distance. A good tip I found on Golf Fix was imagine you are throwing a ball underhand with the right hand on the shot. It gets your right side working. I don't think about my hands on the swing. That's always screwed me up. Light grip and end up with your weight on the left foot and all should be well.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
I'm short with my irons. It doesn't matter as long as you know how far you hit them. Distance with irons is overrated. Graphite shafts might help because they're lighter. I've never tried them on irons. I've been using the light drivers the last few years (Burner 2.0 and now RBZ stage 2) which are D6 swingweight and it's made a huge difference for me on distance. A good tip I found on Golf Fix was imagine you are throwing a ball underhand with the right hand on the shot. It gets your right side working. I don't think about my hands on the swing. That's always screwed me up. Light grip and end up with your weight on the left foot and all should be well.

I think that may be one of the articles I crossed too...something about throw a ball down at the ground with the right side/arm.
I tried it at the range a this morning and Im not sure if it helped or not so far.
I think Ive been equating using the right side with trying to force the right hand to push towards the target and that doesnt do much at all but screw over every shot Ive tried with it.

This is probably just me but Ive noticed that when Im approaching the bottom of the swing about 8-10 inches before the ball that there is this weird sensation in my arms that seems to actually make the ball go straighter and further and with a better trajectory than if I dont do it. Its not trying to control the ball or anything, but it started last year later in the season after someone told me that it sounded like the "V" was breaking down and I actively tried to make sure it wasnt.
Without knowing what a proper swing is supposed to feel like I dont know if its right or wrong but what I do know is that the only times Ive parred the #1 handicap hole on my home course late last fall it was wreaking of that feeling in my arms. Its a horrible long par 4 with ponds on both sides of the green that are just begging to be hit so for me it should be at least a double bogey regardless, I'd think. But I keep feeling like I shouldnt 'feel' anything down at the bottom since the swing happens so fast so I try not to do it and stick to whatever seems to be text book.

We were out at a few courses last year and my friend would say something like 'Get between those two tree tops and you'll be right at the green' and Id be able to use that sensation thru the bottom like that and get the ball pretty much dead on that target line most of the time.
I prefer it but I dont know if its something thats wrong that will end up screwing my swing over in the end and I certainly dont want to have to undo any bad habits.

it doesnt feel like being stiff or trying to guide or control the club or anything....more like just making sure my arms are trying to get that 'v' thing going on again at impact, I guess. At least as well as someone at my low level of play and understanding is able.

This game is REALLY hard to get a grasp on :D

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I think you're thinking to much. My best golf is when I get into a good setup/alignment position and then "Just swing baby!!".

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Number one I don't think distance is overrated because if you can hit a short iron 170 the difference in spin will help hold the green.

I don't think about arms or hands much either. For me, I think about the muscles in my torso coiling and then uncoiling in a good 1-2 rythm without having a violent transition. I also think about the peak of speed being right at the ball (like a wrecking ball gaining momentum into impact). That's my keys to distance. The other thing (at least for hitting a ball off the ground) is make absolute sure you are hitting ball first. Take a gigantic divot if you like... AFTER you hit the ball. I got no love for the grass of a golf course, I take some crazy divots, but when i'm hitting the ball best i'm hitting ball first. I do replace my divots by the way...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Can someone give me the Cliffs notes of what William said? :)

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
I think you're thinking to much. My best golf is when I get into a good setup/alignment position and then "Just swing baby!!".
Definitely thinking too much. I hate slow rounds because the longer I sit and wait to make a shot the worse it ends up being. Ive played a lot of good shots in a row when Ive been trying to get thru the course quick.
If there was a way to shut the brain down I think Id be a better player :D

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country

^ ^ ^ what he said. when you try to focus on all the tiny details you will end up blowing the shot then trying to diagnose what you did and make another adjustment. Then you'll think to much again and repeat the same situation over and over.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Can someone give me the Cliffs notes of what William said? :)
A. I suck
a.1 I suck because I cannot hit shots well
a.2 I suck because I do not know if when I happen to hit a good shot it is the right feel
or correct form.

B. I hope to attain some understanding of WTF i'm doing wrong and maybe how to correct it.

C. Golf is really hard and hard to grasp.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
A. I suck
a.2 I suck because I do not know if when I happen to hit a good shot it is the right feel
or correct form.

B. I hope to attain some understanding of WTF i'm doing wrong and maybe how to correct it.

Welcome to the club buddy. I hear there's actually shirts although I haven't recieved mine.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
A. I suck
or correct form.

LOL, that's good! Welcome to golf William!

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
If you want to hit it further, you need to get faster. It sounds obvious but it's a truth we all need to understand before we can work on distance.

I bought a swing speed measuring device (Swing Speed Radar) and find that being able to measure what slows me down and what speeds me up is a great training aid. In addition, you can do some over speed training which I've found to be extremely helpful. Basically, I swing a blank shaft as hard as I can and find ways to swing it harder--measuring swings with my SSR. Then I hit some balls with the driver. Be very careful when attempting the over speed stuff though as a cold body can be dangerous.

🔥 Latest posts