• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ordered my new bow!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Pretty pumped about the upcoming turkey and deer seasons... ordered a brand new full setup from TAZ Archery in Woodstock Ill. Great shop BTW. They know Elite.

Shot both the Energy 32 and 35 today. Liked them both, but since the 32 is a bit faster and the draw wasn't all that different, I opted for that. The accessories were a combination of shop suggestions and my own research. The only thing I've used prior is the HDX rest. Everything else will be new to me.

Elite Energy 32, Realtree Xtra camo, 29.5" mods

QAD HDX black rest

Apex Covert single pin sight

B Stinger Hunter pro stab

Dozen Easton Axis, white wrap, white and pink vanes

Scott Mongoose XT release

Rage cage quiver because it's cheap and good for mechanical

Be shooting the NAP Killzone brodheads

Now........for the excruciating four week wait for it to come in.............

Last edited:
OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
That's the same sight that I have. Thats a sweet rest too. Nice choices all around.

I haven't tried any of the other full containment drop away rests, but I liked the HDX so much I just went with that. Seems to be the go-to rest anymore.

How do you like the sight? I've never used a single pin...

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I haven't tried any of the other full containment drop away rests, but I liked the HDX so much I just went with that. Seems to be the go-to rest anymore.

How do you like the sight? I've never used a single pin...
I like it. I like just having one pin. It will adjust quickly on the fly but I have never needed to while hunting. I have my bow set at 25 yds and it only drops about 3" at 35 yds. The built in light is super nice for low light conditions.

My rest is a POS. It's a G4. If I don't keep an eye on it, the string loosens up and the rest won't fall all the way down and the arrow will hit it. Also, it's not enclosed around the arrow so you have to be steady when drawing. It's junk.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I like it. I like just having one pin. It will adjust quickly on the fly but I have never needed to while hunting. I have my bow set at 25 yds and it only drops about 3" at 35 yds. The built in light is super nice for low light conditions.

My rest is a POS. It's a G4. If I don't keep an eye on it, the string loosens up and the rest won't fall all the way down and the arrow will hit it. Also, it's not enclosed around the arrow so you have to be steady when drawing. It's junk.

I definitely like the idea of the single pin. And you're right, the odds of having to change the sight while hunting is pretty slim unless you plan to make a longer shot, in which case you probably have enough time to range and dial up the sight.

Mine isn't a super fast bow, but those multi-pin sights get pretty congested real quick, which is why I wanted to get away from that.

Nothing worse than drawing and watching the arrow come off the rest...hate that shit. Worse when you have a brodhead swinging around and have to try to let down without stabbing or cutting something.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I still rifle hunt...but bow hunting opens another 2 months of deer season. Plus...it's fun getting in close to those unsuspecting tasty animals.

Gun season is a war zone. Bow season is calm and quiet time in the woods.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
The advantage of bow hunting in Arizona is it's damn near impossible to get drawn for gun, but with bow season you are assured of a spot.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
We've got so many deer around here that one my Inspectors has nailed 4 in the last 2 years...........with her cars. One morning she pulled up, late, in her Buick Rendevous, minus the grill, both headlights, and the bumper. But she had a 12 point in the back.

Months later, she was still driving the beat-up, never repaired POS, and hit another one. That killed the deer and the car.

Then she told me that one Saturday night, when she and hubbie were both "lit", he said to her: "That just ain't right, you mounting that 12 point on the wall." So she says "You're just pissed cuz it's bigger than any you got." Rednecks, gotta love'em.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
We've got so many deer around here that one my Inspectors has nailed 4 in the last 2 years...........with her cars. One morning she pulled up, late, in her Buick Rendevous, minus the grill, both headlights, and the bumper. But she had a 12 point in the back.

Months later, she was still driving the beat-up, never repaired POS, and hit another one. That killed the deer and the car.

Then she told me that one Saturday night, when she and hubbie were both "lit", he said to her: "That just ain't right, you mounting that 12 point on the wall." So she says "You're just pissed cuz it's bigger than any you got." Rednecks, gotta love'em.

I've been within inches of hitting quite a few deer. Luckily I've had time to avoid them all. knocking on wood...

Some people are sure deer magnets though. There's a guy around here that rides his harley with a set of deer antlers glued to his helmet. He's hit like 5 of them while on his bike...still alive and riding.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I've been within inches of hitting quite a few deer. Luckily I've had time to avoid them all. knocking on wood...

Some people are sure deer magnets though. There's a guy around here that rides his harley with a set of deer antlers glued to his helmet. He's hit like 5 of them while on his bike...still alive and riding.
Sketchy

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
deercrossingletter.jpg

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Amazingly enough, on the way to work I see most of the deer within 100 yards of a deer crossing sign. Maybe they can read? If so, that makes them smarter than some off the people in Saluda County.

Members online

No members online now.