• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Orlando trip

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
Just got back from a five day trip to Orlando and played four courses. On the day we arrived we played Grand Cypress and we were mildly dissapointed in the condition of the course. We played the North/South and the greens and surrounding areas were pretty beat. Day 2 (New Years Day) consisted of 36 holes at Mystic Dunes and sadly the conditions there were worse. I realize that it is January and the turf is not at its healthiest, but these two courses were in rough shape. Day 3 was a range day spent at the Reunion Resort, wow what a great practice facility!! See you can grow grass in Florida in January!!! This practice area is second only to World Woods north of Tampa IMHO... Day 4 was 36 @ Orance County National and this was easily the pick of the litter,two fantastic layouts, great condition, great staff and a good pace. The last day was 18 at Falcons Fire in Kissimmee, which was extremely wet, but hey in less than 12 hours we would be home driving through a typical Vermont snowstorm. Just enough snow to make travel dicey!!
Now, it's time to plan my next sojourn south... maybe I'll hold out for another trip to World Woods, which is worth the trip from Orlando...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Hopefully i can get out to play some more courses in Orlando come March when we go back down there.

Played Timaquan last time and was very happy with that course. Even got to play with a couple fellow shottalkers(who we sadly don't see much of anymore around here).

You got in quite a bit of golf!

OP
20 PAT's

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
Yeah we pretty much just played golf and ate red meat. Went to a Brazillian Steakhouse "Texas de Brazil" maybe and I think I may have met my match.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Did you get the meat sweats? If you didn't get the meat sweats not long after eating, you didn't eat nearly enough.

Kevin

mroe6

Jan 12, 2011
I've had the good fortune to play all of your lineup except the Reunion. You're so right about World Woods. No glitz, just pure golf. A great 36 hole day.
Mark

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
We had a group play that World Woods - really nice place. Would love to go back!

OP
20 PAT's

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
The meat sweats go without saying. I swear they just kept coming at you with "Excoosee me, woulda lika de Fil-lay of biff?" The only thing I said no to was the chicken...why bother?!?

jossecarr

Feb 7, 2011
I think Orange County National - Panther Lake has more numerous strategic options in its design compared to its sister golf course crooked cat, thus allowing all levels of players to be fairly challenged.

OP
20 PAT's

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
Went back to the Orlando area and played a few times. This time we did OCN (Panther Lake), Southern Dunes in Haines City, Reunion (New Course) and Saddlebrook (Palmer Course). The highlight of the trip was seeing Sean Foley working the range at OCN. SOuthern Dunes was a new one for me, very challenging with an "older Florida" feel to it. There were more homes, but not quite as huge as some of the homes at some other nicer courses. Of all of the courses that I have played in FLA this winter my rankings are as follows

10 Mystic Dunes
9 Saddlebrook (Palmer)
8 Grand Cypress
7 Reunion (New)
6 Falcons Fire
5 PGA Village (Wannamaker) jesus I shot about 100 there
4 Southern Dunes
3 Orange County National (Panther Lake)
2 Orange County National (Crooked Cat)
1 World Woods (Rolling Oaks)

🔥 Latest posts