• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Outside-In fix

MattD0826

Aug 12, 2008
I was wondering if anybody knows a good way to fix an outside-in swing. I also tend to go over the top on my back swing. Even as i flatten out my swing plane it still feels as if I'm "pulling" on my downswing and putting a lot of side spin on it. Any drills, exercises, visual aids, etc.. Thanks

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Keep the wrist cock as long as physically possible while still getting square at impact

Start the downswing with your body, not your arms. Those are thetwo things that helped me themost.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Just to make sure you are diagnosing the correct problem, as when I used to slice the ball I would spend countless hours for months trying to fix an outside~in swing only to find out that I didn't really have an outside~in swing but was simply leaving the clubface open at impact.

If you are right handed is the ball starting out to the left of where you are aiming? If not, then in all likelyhood you may not have an outside~in swing, or it may not be is bad as you think. Again, left of where you are aiming and not simply left of the target if you are already aiming left to make up for a fade or slice.

The reason this question is very important is that you indicated you are concentrating on the spin of the ball which is more in relation to the angle the clubface is open in relation to your club path (your club path, not the target). Where the ball starts is based on the path of the club, where it spins is based on the club face.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
For me, the #1 cause of an OTT move is a poor shoulder turn on the backswing. Make a full turn, hold your wrist cock, and try to hit the ball to the gap between 1st and 2nd base. Release through the ball and finish facing the target with the club up and over your downrange shoulder.

That's my current mantra, and it's helping.

OP
M

MattD0826

Aug 12, 2008
I usually aim straight down the fairway, and my ball path usually starts straight then continues to fade to the right. Maybe my wrist isn't turning over?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I usually aim straight down the fairway, and my ball path usually starts straight then continues to fade to the right. Maybe my wrist isn't turning over?
Probably just an open clubface at impact. Try taking your grip so that the V's formed by your thumb and index fingers point a little more to your right. Also, make sure you can see three knuckles on your left hand at address.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
That is likely correct, you are not releasing through impact if your ball is starting straight

What worked for me, and quoted from another thread.

If your ball starts straight then slices or fades off, work on your release of the club. Imagine you want your left palm (right handed) facing the sky after as if you are try to "Catch raindrops" on the follow through. When I started, this was the type of slice I had, this advice is what cured my slice. It came from Golf Magazine.

Good luck!!

Another thing that works is to put a credit card in the V of your left hand (for RH person). On setup one side should face the sky, on follow through the other should.

Both these came for an old article in golf magazine from one of their instructors.

I'm guessing your club path is fine, and the other thing that stood out was the mention of "Pulling" on your downswing. If you mean pulling the club through impact, that is a good thing and what made me think you were not casting or going over the top. Where Pulling the ball would be an indication of an outside~in swing.

Hope that helps, Good Luck!!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Lay another club on the ground just outside your tee'd up ball. The club should be at an angle, skewed slightly to the right of your target, (if you're a righty). Try and follow the club shaft laying on the ground with your club head. I hope that makes sense?

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
The best information I have ever seen

concerning how to hit the ball from the inside was in Golf Digest in last month's issue. Rick Smith did the article. I have been working on this very thing after seeing a video of my swing. I was bringing the club too far inside going back because it just seemed logical that that would get me in a good position to come back from the inside. Wrong answer! What happens is that your body prevents you from dropping the club to the inside AND STILL GET THE CLUBHEAD SQUARE TO THE TARGET LINE. The outcome of this is that the only good shots you can hit are accomplished by really flipping your wrists and if you are lucky you get a hook that goes right and comes back to the target.

In my case, I would not flip the wrists, but BECAUSE OF UNBELIEVABLE ATHLETIC ABILITY would smoothly go through contortions that I could not feel (but could see in the video) but which allowed me to get the clubface square at impact. Talk about a power leak!

Also, all of this stuff meant that, at best, my hands were about even with the clubhead at impact rather than ahead . So my short irons and wedges had always been rather high. To prevent such height I would force myself to really hit down on the ball and the result was divots that could be used for sodding purposes.

I have been working on this problem for over a year. I am coming up on 63 years and have played golf since I was eleven. I cannot say exactly when my out to in stuff started. It may have been there from the beginning, but at times, I have been able to hit all sorts of shapes of shots. The less flexible I have become, the more important it has become to get this flaw removed. I told myself, "I will overhaul my swing one last time, and whatever I come up with will be what I am going to stick with the rest of my golfing days." Things have really started improving in the last month.

Things that have helped:

1. Playing the ball more towards the lead toe. While it is true that this can possibly increase the chance of a slice, you have to give yourself room to get to the inside to be able to come to the ball from the inside and still get the clubface square to the target line at impact.

2. Taking the club straight back at first and then slightly to the inside rather than overly to the inside as I mentioned earlier.

3. Maintaining the "L" formed by the club shaft and my left arm longer so that my hands are ahead at impact. This helps prevent the cupping of the wrists which is a major power leak.

4. Keeping the shoulders, etc, turning through impact. In general, I think the main fault in most golf swings, mine included, comes when we place too much importance on impact. It is like everything stops when the clubface is square to the target line. In truth, no one can stop the clubface square to the target line. The subconscious knows this fact, so it starts the process before impact. Now you will lose both power and accuracy. Decelleration is horrible from the shortest putt to the longest drive. Swing through the position of the ball to a good finish to optimize both distance and accuracy.

5. I have to always make sure that I do not grip the club too tightly. If I want to make the ball move left to right, then I will purposely grip the club somewhat tighter.

6. A good back-swing does wonders in producing good shots. Rick Smith wrote that the shoulders will bring the club inside just right as they turn. The cocking of the wrists will get the club moving up. These two actions done simultaneously produce a great back-swing. This is so simple and so effective.

I will now say something that many will probably disagree with. I am just about convinced that many of us have been overly concerned with what moves first starting the back-swing and what moves first starting the down-swing. If you watch a formation of military men marching, you will see that all the men start moving at the same time. The first rank in the formation may arrive first at a given point, but they did not start moving any sooner. Swing the club and let your body respond instinctively to that swinging motion and your timing will improve immensely.

On tempo: If it takes three counts to get from the beginning of your swing to the point you are ready to return the club to the ball, it should take one count to reach impact. This from the book Tour Tempo. This 3:1 ratio is common in just about every good golf swing that has ever been.

Best of luck to you with your game. Sincerely, Cypressperch

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
The best information I have ever seen

concerning how to hit the ball from the inside was in Golf Digest in last month's issue. Rick Smith did the article. I have been working on this very thing after seeing a video of my swing. I was bringing the club too far inside going back because it just seemed logical that that would get me in a good position to come back from the inside. Wrong answer! What happens is that your body prevents you from dropping the club to the inside AND STILL GET THE CLUBHEAD SQUARE TO THE TARGET LINE. The outcome of this is that the only good shots you can hit are accomplished by really flipping your wrists and if you are lucky you get a hook that goes right and comes back to the target.

In my case, I would not flip the wrists, but BECAUSE OF UNBELIEVABLE ATHLETIC ABILITY would smoothly go through contortions that I could not feel (but could see in the video) but which allowed me to get the clubface square at impact. Talk about a power leak!

Also, all of this stuff meant that, at best, my hands were about even with the clubhead at impact rather than ahead . So my short irons and wedges had always been rather high. To prevent such height I would force myself to really hit down on the ball and the result was divots that could be used for sodding purposes.

I have been working on this problem for over a year. I am coming up on 63 years and have played golf since I was eleven. I cannot say exactly when my out to in stuff started. It may have been there from the beginning, but at times, I have been able to hit all sorts of shapes of shots. The less flexible I have become, the more important it has become to get this flaw removed. I told myself, "I will overhaul my swing one last time, and whatever I come up with will be what I am going to stick with the rest of my golfing days." Things have really started improving in the last month.

Things that have helped:

1. Playing the ball more towards the lead toe. While it is true that this can possibly increase the chance of a slice, you have to give yourself room to get to the inside to be able to come to the ball from the inside and still get the clubface square to the target line at impact.

2. Taking the club straight back at first and then slightly to the inside rather than overly to the inside as I mentioned earlier.

3. Maintaining the "L" formed by the club shaft and my left arm longer so that my hands are ahead at impact. This helps prevent the cupping of the wrists which is a major power leak.

4. Keeping the shoulders, etc, turning through impact. In general, I think the main fault in most golf swings, mine included, comes when we place too much importance on impact. It is like everything stops when the clubface is square to the target line. In truth, no one can stop the clubface square to the target line. The subconscious knows this fact, so it starts the process before impact. Now you will lose both power and accuracy. Decelleration is horrible from the shortest putt to the longest drive. Swing through the position of the ball to a good finish to optimize both distance and accuracy.

5. I have to always make sure that I do not grip the club too tightly. If I want to make the ball move left to right, then I will purposely grip the club somewhat tighter.

6. A good back-swing does wonders in producing good shots. Rick Smith wrote that the shoulders will bring the club inside just right as they turn. The cocking of the wrists will get the club moving up. These two actions done simultaneously produce a great back-swing. This is so simple and so effective.

I will now say something that many will probably disagree with. I am just about convinced that many of us have been overly concerned with what moves first starting the back-swing and what moves first starting the down-swing. If you watch a formation of military men marching, you will see that all the men start moving at the same time. The first rank in the formation may arrive first at a given point, but they did not start moving any sooner. Swing the club and let your body respond instinctively to that swinging motion and your timing will improve immensely.

On tempo: If it takes three counts to get from the beginning of your swing to the point you are ready to return the club to the ball, it should take one count to reach impact. This from the book Tour Tempo. This 3:1 ratio is common in just about every good golf swing that has ever been.

Best of luck to you with your game. Sincerely, Cypressperch

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm having trouble blocking myself out, and what I realize is that, I'm exaggerating the "around" the body aspect.

I'm keeping a low, extreme inside swing path. I'm bring the club back and up with my arms, and then rotating my hips/shoulders.

When really, I need to be rotating around with my torso, and merely just bringing the club straight back with a slight inside plane. Unwinding will give me the path I want.

Easy to visualize, just harder to do.. Believe me.

To keep the path inside-out, try keeping your left arm close to your body, and your right back.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.