• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Outta nowhere

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
I'm not quite sure where this came from, but I broke 90 today (89).

I haven't been playing much lately, and having broken 100 for the first time only a couple of months ago, I was just hoping to card around 100. Outta nowhere I dropped a 44-45 on the card.

That made for a good friggin' day.

:smilie_cl

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Don't do that again until you have established a low quota for your country.

Congrats dude. Improvement feels good, no?

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
It's gotta be that hair. Cain't be the choppers.

And mind 'crowe about the quota.

OP
buddha33

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks, fellas.

Yup, it's the real deal, Spank. Like Crowe said, it's just the time at the driving range coming to fruition.

I noticed something a couple of weeks ago that my instructor pointed out but went about the wrong way of correcting. During my backswing, I tend to 'overextend', or bend sideway at the waist. His recommendation was to shorten the backswing so I wasn't forcing my midsection to breakdown. After working on that for a while, I grew frustrated by the lack of results. A shortened backswing was really effing with my tempo.

So I decided to focus on something else for a while. That's when I had the epiphany: stabilize the waist while maintaining my old backswing (in other words, create a circle around my waist without bending toward the target). While it feels strange and as though I'd be losing power, it has created for much more consistent impact and generally longer shots. The additional torque I'm creating at the waist is providing greater control and power. It feels really nice to have acknowledged this.

I've also been working on the short putts at the practice green. I didn't miss anything within 5 feet yesterday, so that was nice to see (must be that new 2-ball, right Sling?).

Combine that with the luck I had from the sand and I card an 89. The cool thing was I thought my par putt on 18 was for 90. When I added them up on the ride home I was in disbelief.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It's probably not the putter.

Your best bet is to wrap it up and send it to me. I'll lay it to rest. I'll send you a putter in return, i promise.
:p
R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
buddha33 said:
So I decided to focus on something else for a while. That's when I had the epiphany: stabilize the waist while maintaining my old backswing (in other words, create a circle around my waist without bending toward the target). While it feels strange and as though I'd be losing power, it has created for much more consistent impact and generally longer shots. The additional torque I'm creating at the waist is providing greater control and power. It feels really nice to have acknowledged this.

I am delighted for you.

I loved your description as an epiphany - because that is exactly what it is. This is one of the central tenets of a good golf swing and until a player understands it ( and does it) they will never have much power.

Great!! Now go and practice this on the range a couple of times per week and play once a week. Within 2-3 months it will be so ingrained into your swing - you will never forget it.

If you have the Hogan book - what you described above is illustrated on pages 72-73 - a small rotation of the hips concurrent with a large rotation of the shoulders.

The greater the differential of rotation - the greater the torque/power.

Delighted for your breakthrough...You truly can move way down this summer....

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
That's awesome Buddha. But I'll say that it's probably not outta nowhere if you've been working on it. That means you deserved it.

OP
buddha33

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks again, guys.

Rock, I'll send the putter up with my wife next time she visits.

You're probably right, Silver. I had been working a little on the swing. I guess I was just expecting a larger time differential between breaking 100 and 90. I mean, there were only two rounds in between my 99 and 89.

I did have a feeling that once I broke 100, 90 would be an easier milestone. Now I just need to work some Quentin magic and break 80 next week. ;)

🔥 Latest posts