• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Over-hosel putter shaft?

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Working a new project... I realized recently that with the sentimental value of my 3rd-generation-in-the-family 50-odd-year-old putter, there's no way I would ever trust it to an airline baggage handler. Everything else in my bag is replacable, but not the putter. So I needed a traveling putter, since we are probably going to fly-and-golf somewhere this year.

Some of you may have heard this story before, because I posted it previously, but the old putter has no identifying marks and I have no idea who made it. That made finding a second head even harder than it otherwise would've been with a 50-year-old club. So I picked this up for real cheap, it's not a match, but it's similar, and actually quite nice. The face has milling that doesn't show in the pictures.

vintage Old School 8802 style putter head - eBay (item 150319793933 end time Jan-09-09 19:34:26 PST)

It's an over-hosel design, and now I need to find a shaft. I have a half-dozen Rifle iron shafts (.370 and .355 ) laying around, but they don't fit it. The OD of the hosel tip is .365.

The shafts I have are 42" long. I'll be trimming ~10" off them eventually, so can I take all that off the bottom, and get to a point that's large enough to fit over the hosel tip? Basically, how high up do I have to trim to get to a ~.370 ID on a .370 OD shaft?

Or if that's not going to work, what do I need, a flared tip shaft like this?

True Temper Golf Shafts: Flared Bell Tip Putter Shaft

If so, is there such a thing as a stepless flared tip shaft?

Thanks.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Answering my own question, since no one else seemed to know, and maybe this will turn up in someone's search results someday...

Even if you tip a 42" .370 shaft 10+ inches, like I just did, to make a 34" putter, you won't get to a point where the ID approaches the necessary size to fit over a .365 OD hosel.

However, if you take a grinding wheel to that hosel for a minute, and shave it down a bit, the trimmed shaft will slide over. That's what I did, and it's curing now. If you don't already have a shaft laying around, like I did, it's certainly easier just to buy the right shaft.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
David,

Sorry i missed this thread. I would have advised you to ream the hosel as you have done. :thumbs up:

Cheers,

R35

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Thanks Rock.

It's finished. I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking when I bought the grip, it's actually shinier in-person than the photos show. Oh yeah, it was $7 for a pair on eBay, that's what I was thinking. No idea what I'll do with the other one.

I apparently have a thing for shiny chromed-out clubs... this is the second in a row I've built.
8802-1.jpg
8802-2.jpg
8802-9.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online