• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Overated clubs and bad photos on Ebay

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe that's why my MacGregor Forged MT's didn't sell. They were on there for a song...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I always request additional pics of crappy photos on e-bay items. If they won't provide them, carry on to the next auction.

R35

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Very true. A few weeks ago I won an Ebay aucton for what the seller claimed was a new Ping Tour wedge. I paid $70 for it and figured I got a good deal.
Well, when the club arrived, it was most definetly not new. It had some scuffing on the sole of the club and the face had some very fine scratches on it. Also, the grip had wear on it to the point where cords were showing.
Id say that club was easily a 9 out of 10, but it wasnt new.
Thats why I always try to understate the condition of clubs I sell on Ebay. A while back I sold a set of Titleist DCI 981 irons on Ebay and the buyer felt that my description of their condition was inaccurate (I told him they had some minor wear and IMO he exaggerated their flaws, saying they had huge rock chips; which they did not and he eventually ended up giving me negative feedback over it and filing a Pay Pal despute) and eventually ended up sending the clubs back to me.
I dont want to deal with that BS again, so I tend to understate the conditions of the items I sell so that I dont have to deal with that again.
So far, so good. All of the items I have sold on Ebay have gotten positive feedback and the buyers have seemed very pleased with the items.

OP
West Coast Duffer

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Its hard to see good detail of a clubs condition unless you take a really good picture out doors.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
It's a bit of a gamble but bad photos can also help you pick stuff up on the cheap!

As long as you bid within your comfort zone then you're good. Look at the photo and decide, based on solely on the photo, what you're willing to throw down then be down with it. You've got to be willing to walk away or your doomed.

I think most often folks have buyer's remorse in these situations because they got caught up in a bidding war and totally over pay. The feeling only intensifies when the clubs show up looking exactly like the pictures and not the text description.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
It's a bit of a gamble but bad photos can also help you pick stuff up on the cheap!

As long as you bid within your comfort zone then you're good. Look at the photo and decide, based on solely on the photo, what you're willing to throw down then be down with it. You've got to be willing to walk away or your doomed.

I think most often folks have buyer's remorse in these situations because they got caught up in a bidding war and totally over pay. The feeling only intensifies when the clubs show up looking exactly like the pictures and not the text description.

Bingo, I picked up my TP Burner for $55 because of the crappy pictures and now I'm laughing my ass off all the way to the bank. Same with the HiBore XL for $33. Yes, its not in great condition but the pictures were horrible and I'd always wanted to try one. Can't lose for $33 smackers.

Unless its a fake. That is one thing that bad pictures do tend to hide. Be wary, and don't get in a bidding war and overspend, cos there is a fair chance it will come back to bite you in the ass later on either in resell or just pure regret.

🔥 Latest posts