• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Overlapping grip question...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So this season I decided to make the change to an overlapping grip. No particular reason, it felt like at first it made my wrists less active and helped me to keep from taking the club back to far to the inside.

One question I have though is where does my pinkie finger go? I read Hogan's book and he said to put it into the channel between your index and middle finger. ANother book said to let it rest on top of your index finger. To me it feels like if I go in the channel it's almost identical to my old overlapping grip.

I guess I am just curious what you guys do?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Do what Hogan says. I changed to overlap about 5 years ago, and never looked back.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Do what Hogan says. I changed to overlap about 5 years ago, and never looked back.

How hard (or long did it take) is it to actually make the change, and feel comfortable? I've been wanting to change from my standard to an overlap, but feel as though I may lose half a season making what appears to me to be a major change.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
How hard (or long did it take) is it to actually make the change, and feel comfortable? I've been wanting to change from my standard to an overlap, but feel as though I may lose half a season making what appears to me to be a major change.

I started in the late winter making the switch, around february. Just holding a club while watching TV and gripping it with the overlapping grip. Once spring rolled around and I got to play, about 2.5 months later, it actually felt pretty natural to grip the club with the overlapping grip.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
did you notice your shots going further, but tending to go right? i went from interlock to overlap, and sure it took a couple/few months to get a natural feel, but it's worth it.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
did you notice your shots going further, but tending to go right? i went from interlock to overlap, and sure it took a couple/few months to get a natural feel, but it's worth it.

I've left a few shots out to the right and gained a bit of distance. I think the distance gain though is due to better contact. My tendency was to yank the club inside and come over the top. WIth the overlapping grip it's almost like my right hand is LESS active and helps to fight getting inside on the takeaway.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I don't know how helpful this will be but when I was younger my coach switched me over to the overlap grip. His reasoning at the time was the size of my hands stating that amongst other things it is generally more comfortable for those with longer fingers or larger hands to play the overlap grip. I have never looked back. Oh and he said to put my finger in the channel.

🔥 Latest posts