• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Overlapping grip...

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
So - after reading that thread a week or so about interlocking vs overlapping grips, today i decided to try the overlap on the range. Well, all i can say is, this is definitely going to get some more attention. It seemed that i could get a much better strike with my irons, and even though the direction was a bit off, was still a result!

So - problem is, that i'm not entirely sure i'm doing the grip right, it felt a bit awkward, like fingers were getting in the way and whatnot. The head pro was walking by - so i asked him to show me his :)laugh:) - and that helped a bit.

Any overlappers out there with 5 mins to post a pic of their grip from the bottom preferably? I need to see where all the fingers are supposed to go!

cheers.

MyrtleBchGlf

Jun 3, 2007
Presuming your a righty, take the club in your left hand normally, then place your right hand on the club having your right hand's pinky finger rest in between your left hand's index finger and middle finger. Your right hands pinky finger's nail should rest (depending on finger length) in between your two knuckles of the middle and index finger of your left hand. Its going to feel awkward, its natural until you get a feel for it and play more with the overlap. I switched years ago ffrom interlocking to overlapping, at first was awkward, now its second nature.
Cant post a pic because I guess im not worthy enough yet ha, 15 post or more

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Get a copy of Hogans 5 lessons he has it very detailed with good drawn pictures it's £16.99 but money well spent. Or PM me and you can borrow mine.

OP
Dannykos

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
with the descriptions i'm getting it seems that my hands are pretty disjointed compared to the interlock??

I'll google for some images....

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Presuming your a righty, take the club in your left hand normally, then place your right hand on the club having your right hand's pinky finger rest in between your left hand's index finger and middle finger. Your right hands pinky finger's nail should rest (depending on finger length) in between your two knuckles of the middle and index finger of your left hand. Its going to feel awkward, its natural until you get a feel for it and play more with the overlap. I switched years ago ffrom interlocking to overlapping, at first was awkward, now its second nature.
Cant post a pic because I guess im not worthy enough yet ha, 15 post or more

Is this overlapping or interlocking? This is what I have.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Nope, interlocking here. I think the article is a little biased towards the overlapping, as I've been quite successful with interlocking and have no problems with distance or control.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Jack Nicklaus and Tiger both use the interlocking. I think it's more a matter of hand size, finger length etc. :D

🔥 Latest posts