• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

P/T job suggestions

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
After going through the process of getting this car and seeing how my GF has rebuilt her credit so well, I want to make some extra money, start working on my credit.

I'm looking for suggestions for a simple job I could do maybe 2 times a week evenings and make $100-$150 for the 2 nights. Keep in mind I'm 32 and have a felony on my record. Restaurant jobs are obvious but not at the top of my list. After talking to a few people, I'm actually semi-interested in getting into the car repo business, sounds "exciting". Plus with the current state of the economy, I'm sure it's a hot area right now.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I think Home Depot was mentioned once. I had a roommate that worked there, just loved it. They treat their employees well, I hear. Very good at accomodating hours.

Not sure if there's a Lowe's or that similar a place around there, but working at a hardware store seems like cake to me. Customer service is pretty easy. Especially at a place like Home Depot that takes ANYTHING back to keep customers happy.

"Geeze, that sucks your toilet broke when you were sitting on it, sir. Let's head over to Cindy at the Customer Service desk and get that toilet refunded."

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Pimp or ho, depending on which of you could get more business! ;)

Seriously, what about bar tending part time?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I think MCD is on to something...get a quick bar tending job at a country club(good tippers)

I dont know the laws, but i guess some states require an intensive "bar tending" class that might be cost prohibative and idk what all is included in your probation but that might also cause soem problems with bar tending?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I don't know why you're so against the Home Depot thing. It's within WALKING distance, definitely biking distance. I can't imagine why it's even a question. Seriously. DUH.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
After talking to a few people, I'm actually semi-interested in getting into the car repo business, sounds "exciting". Plus with the current state of the economy, I'm sure it's a hot area right now.
I'm not sure this would be a good idea - you often wind up with very pissed off/emotional people when you try to repo their car - I would imagine it would be VERY easy to lose your temper and slap someone upside the head with a 4D cell maglite or something...I would think the last thing you want to deal with is some BS assault charge and the associated legal "issues"

I know a few people that cleaned banks after hours for a couple years - I think it was $15-20 or so an hour. The downside was that it was 5 nights a week, but it was only like a hour and a half each night and it was pretty easy and the hours never conflicted with golf - might be something to look into part time

there's gotta be other stuff too -just drawing a blank right now?

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't know why you're so against the Home Depot thing. It's within WALKING distance, definitely biking distance. I can't imagine why it's even a question. Seriously. DUH.

I'm not against it, all for it actually. I put in the application, they haven't contacted me at all though.

I'm not sure this would be a good idea - you often wind up with very pissed off/emotional people when you try to repo their car - I would imagine it would be VERY easy to lose your temper and slap someone upside the head with a 4D cell maglite or something...I would think the last thing you want to deal with is some BS assault charge and the associated legal "issues"

I know a few people that cleaned banks after hours for a couple years - I think it was $15-20 or so an hour. The downside was that it was 5 nights a week, but it was only like a hour and a half each night and it was pretty easy and the hours never conflicted with golf - might be something to look into part time

there's gotta be other stuff too -just drawing a blank right now?

Agreed on the repo thing. The bank cleaning thing reminded me of something. A guy I work with a few days a week, his brother works for McDonald's and is in charge of the maintainence for like 2 dozen of them in the area. The guy I work with used to make like $9 and change an hour to go in at night and clean them. I suppose that could fit the bill if nothing else. I suppose if could make an extra $400 a month doing that couple nights a week, that would go a long way in paying the car as well as extra to start paying off my debts.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
Find a place you can caddy weekend mornings and you make like $200 for two days of work

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
some of our repo guys get anywhere from $100-$350 each pick up, depending on how much time was involved in finding the vehicle...but remember, not everyone is willing to give up their car. Thats why most of them do it in the middle of the night, carry a gun, etc. Its not a real safe job sometimes.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I think I may have found my answer. I went back into some of my old places to find jobs for moving. They've grown since I've been gone, immensely. Next I contacted my old guy at Ryder. I can get a truck for basically about $175 a day for everything, including fuel and drive it just over 100 miles. There are a ton of jobs out there. If I could put together 2 in a day, pay a guy $150 for the day to help me, I'd be looking at $350-$450 for a day. I already have 2 dozen new pads and dollies. I'm going to look into further. The only problem would be if I commit to a job then my boss comes up with a job for me. If it works out well, I may end up quitting my "real" job and just doing this again.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Home Depot. Then i would suggest working at a local golf shop. In all seriousness why not? You know enough about clubs.

On sunday i put in my application for a golf store in my area, they pay very well, and have very flexible hours. Plus discounts in merchandise, and i get to use all of the clubbuilding materials that i want for free.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Home Depot. Then i would suggest working at a local golf shop. In all seriousness why not? You know enough about clubs.

On sunday i put in my application for a golf store in my area, they pay very well, and have very flexible hours. Plus discounts in merchandise, and i get to use all of the clubbuilding materials that i want for free.

I've tried the shop I go to frequently as well as Dick's. Problem around this area is everyone is a PGA cert. pro working at these places for $10-$12 an hour. The market is flooded with overqualified candidates with nowhere to work.

Members online

No members online now.