• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Paging computer geniuses...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Tried to send NVM a PM; inbox full!

I'm looking to get a setup that can run StarCraft 2 at full settings. My laptop, a single core 3.6ghz with an ATI Radeon Mobility X600 (128MB) and 2G of 533mhz RAM can barely handle it on the lowest settings with a lot of the effects turned off. Cinematics are laggy, textures are terrible, etc.

So, I found this:

Gaming Computer

After doing a bit of research, this seems like an incredible setup. With the 64bit OS the RAM would be easy to add onto if need be as well. Given my financial situation I cannot afford to get something new at all, and I can only afford this because I've been pinching pennies and not playing golf.

Does anyone know of a reason that these two (myself and this computer) should NOT be wed? Are there any specific questions I should ask? He's going to reformat it and install Windows 7 fresh for me, he said he could install counterstrike and show me it running so I'd know everything was working if I wanted.

Any help is appreciated. thank you!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
So, have you planned already your visit to Blizzardcon with your Star Trek friends? Or would you be to busy in your Dungeon Master advanced course to acompany them and wear your Ninja Turtle costume?

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
being a Craigslist deal, i would absolutely spend the time with him and run it through it's paces at his place. there are faster CPU's(i7's) and vid cards available,as that system is almost 2 year old technology, but it would run your games quite well. and it looks like he would even fudge a bit on the $700? monitor included too i see.

playing cpu intensive games works your machine hard and creates a lot of heat. i don't see any mention of any extra cooling. i'm sure that case has extra fans but does it have something other than stock heatsink and fan cooling on the cpu itself?

the numbers look pretty good to me otherwise, and hopefully he's a good seller.

edit: btw,re: the cooling question. not sure if you're into overclocking but that cpu will easily OC to well over 3 Ghz, probably around 3.4 with good aftermarket air cooling. but as i mentioned, go see it in action and not only check out how it runs, but it may turn out to be very loud once it's under game stress.(although you can always fix loud with a couple hardware changes).

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I dunno, but PM me for my battle.net and we can play some matches. My buddy bought it for me, so who am I to complain?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
There aren't any Geek Squad members like the one on the commercial, its just tv.

The geek squad is a joke...99% of them are just there because they like to drive the black and white bug.

Hit up the local tech college that teaches game development....those are the chicks with the imaginations...the ones that scare you a little but, but ya kinda like it

ETA: I just wanted to add, i FCKING HATE Worst buy(Best Buy). The customer service at that place is the worst i have ever had the displeasure of dealing with 3 separate occasions. I refuse to EVER step foot in any best buy, ever again. If you want to know more, ask...i don't need to get my blood pressure that high this early in the morning.

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I love hearing about retail failures. They wonder why online stores are killing their business.

Members online

No members online now.