• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pardon me while I grind the ol' axe.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
Golfers are suppose to be people with a certain amount of class. In speaking of class, I am certainly not speaking about anything that deals with how much you got in your wallet. I am talking about people who come to play my home course perhaps for one time only, so they think they have the green light to never repair ball marks, put trash in the trash cans, rake sand traps, replace divots, etc, etc. Groups will rent our course to hold a tournament for their company. The course takes a beating every time, and I mean a bad beating. I am pretty sure the course does not do anything because they like the income such events bring in.

OK, I have done enough grinding. I have come to the conclusion that almost every problem in the world could be solved if people followed the golden rule. No one would want their home course treated like this. And to top it off, the greens keeper works his butt off and his help too, and they get blamed for the shape the course gets in. Harvey Pinick said that if you like golf, you are my friend. It must have been nice when saying that could automatically be true. If it is still true, then those who trash golf courses cannot possibly be entitled to be called golfers.

Grinding the ol' axe. Sincerely, Cypressperch

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
If people just did what they should do, the whole world would be a much better place.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
When did they forget wat our fathers and teachers taught us along the way?

***when you fix your ball mark (which you do religiously i might add!), you fix one other***

Where did we go wrong.....:(

ironman

Sep 2, 2006
Harvey Pinick said that if you like golf, you are my friend. It must have been nice when saying that could automatically be true. If it is still true, then those who trash golf courses [and golf forums] cannot possibly be entitled to be called golfers.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
this it shottalk ironman, not golfreview, know your place. Plz dont ruin this site the way ppl like idiotic, spank, LC3 and such have ruined GR.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Guys...I will tell you (very sincerely and in a friendly way) that we will not have this site become like GR.

The site is owned by a very active Administrator and we have several Moderators who are online several times a day. Additionally, our rules are very clear and (I hope) clearly understood. Our members have seen many posters who have broken the rules - very promptly and permanently banned.

As a result - we've got a good site.

To put it positively, let's leave the past behind and start fresh...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Guys...I will tell you (very sincerely and in a friendly way) that we will not have this site become like GR.

The site is owned by a very active Administrator and we have several Moderators who are online several times a day. Additionally, our rules are very clear and (I hope) clearly understood. Our members have seen many posters who have broken the rules - very promptly and permanently banned.

As a result - we've got a good site.

To put it positively, let's leave the past behind and start fresh...

I could not be happier to hear this...as far as responding to the original post just think about what happened to the other courses at Winged Foot and Medinah...one of the other holes adjacent to this course being used for the tournament was paved over for use as a parking lot. Now thats money, to be able to pave one whole hole and then take the pavement up and repair the hole to be top notch...

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I've almost got an OCD about this stuff. I spent a short time as an assistant greenkeeper and now spend ages raking entire bunkers instead of just the bit I have messed up to get them how they should be (you're supposed to rake the sand into the middle then have the lines running perpendicular to the hole so you are less likely to end up buried in a bunker face and it just looks better too). I repair every pitch mark I see and have to almost be dragged off some fairways for trying to repair every other buggers divots! Seriously I have let it ruin a few rounds because my concentration is not on my swing.

I'm a troubled soul.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I'm a troubled soul.

OMG, he's going Caddyshack on us. :)

The greens craters are pretty bad on my course as well. I usually repair not just mine and one more, but 4-5 per green. I think the starter should check each golfer for a repair tool and remind them to please repair.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I pride myself in my ability to rake sandtraps. I do a great job(possibly too good).

I used to run the rake for my dad's paving company so I had to make sure everything was smooth, and most importantly, with the contour of the grade. I take the same principle when I rake a bunker, in part because I hate ending up in someone else footprint from a half arse raked job, or none at all.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
OMG, he's going Caddyshack on us. :)

The greens craters are pretty bad on my course as well. I usually repair not just mine and one more, but 4-5 per green. I think the starter should check each golfer for a repair tool and remind them to please repair.

I honestly carry 2 of them, one in my pocket and one on a cord on my bag. I do fix marks on the greens although from the fact that I hit very few GIR's most of them are not mine, I am usually bumping on from somewhere close enough to not leave any. Wish I had more practice fixing my own pitchmarks.:p

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I used to rake about 85 bunkers every morning for the course on which I worked.
You think you're OCD ;) !

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
it seems like one thing leads to more and more things, one person doesnt rake the bunker, next person goes in and says screw it, no one else it raking, neither am i!. Then it just snowballs...

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Even if one doesn't have a ballmark repair tool, one can use a tee to make repairs.

That is true too, but 3 of the courses I have played at give out cheap little brass ones next to the scorecards, not taking one would just be plain lazy. Plus it's kind of cool because they are course logo repair tools, I now have 3 different ones from 3 diffent courses. They can't cost more than about 35 cents apiece for the course and it encourages people to take one and fix their marks.

🔥 Latest posts