• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pelz V Rotella

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
On putting

I really can't watch Pelz,its far to analytical for me.yes there are some technical aspects to putting,but not many,and all the great putters have had idiosycratic strokes,Ioki and casper spring to mind and a couple,like Bobby Locke and Billy Mayfair actually putt with sidespin.

Rotella will help you to trust your talents and putt with confidecne,he maintains good putting starts and ends in the mind.Pelz has you worrying about all sorts of things.

I'm a Rotella man myself,I putt ten times better after reading Rotella,I just want to smash the TV when pelz is on.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
just want to smash the TV when pelz is on.

LOL, I remember your previous anti-Pelz rants. :D

Putt Like the Pros was the first golf instruction book that I really enjoyed reading, I guess because Pelz seemed so dedicated in his quest for a scientific method of improving putting.

I rarely catch one of his spots on TGC, but I watch them when I do, if only for the humor in watching the 30 handicappers futz their shots. "Hey, that looks like me!!"

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
the humor in watching the 30 handicappers futz their shots

Would that be Friar 'Eddie' Tuck by any chance?

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
Lol i saw people on the Golf Channel that had 30 handicaps, they are not very good at all

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I don't know Friar 'Eddie' Tuck, sorry.

Lol i saw people on the Golf Channel that had 30 handicaps, they are not very good at all

My thought was that for these folks to have a 30 handicapper, they must be cheating worse than I do. :D

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Friar Tuck is his son,or otherwise called 'Eddie'

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
dave. said:
Friar Tuck is his son,or otherwise called 'Eddie'

Ohh. No, I haven't seen anyone but Pelz, Sr., and the gang of geriatric 30 handicappers. And I still don't believe any of them could break 110 without cheating.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
dave, we should form an anti-Pelz fan club ;)

But I do disagree on something.
Pelz isn't technical at all, he's just blurting out statistics on what players do...

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Agreed Loop.he has made money telling people how to putt poorly,fair play to him,he takes all instinct out of putting and makes you watch his obese son and a silly wire robot

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I attended a clinic here about 15 years ago which Rotella conducted. Spent a few minutes with him.

As you can imagine - he has a very serene personality...kind of like "totally monotone dude"..."see the shot".."stay in the moment".

"Commit hari kari if you miss that two footer". Not.

After a few minutes, I almost converted to buddism and began the life of a monk.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Loop said:
dave, we should form an anti-Pelz fan club ;)
But I do disagree on something. Pelz isn't technical at all, he's just blurting out statistics on what players do...
dave. said:
Agreed Loop.he has made money telling people how to putt poorly,fair play to him,he takes all instinct out of putting and makes you watch his obese son and a silly wire robot

OK, I'll defend Pelz, since no one else seems to want to.

Feel players will not like Pelz, although what eventually develops from using his method is superior feel. Ironic that, no?

He is a rocket scientist, so he employs the scientific method, as noted by the good Russian animal mechanic. Observation and measurement are key to that method. Ya gotta know what to fix before you can fix it.

He uses targeted training aids to show the desired way to perform specific portions of tasks, or to demonstrate the results of specific efforts. This is a bad thing?

Lotsa pros use him, and Phil did not win a major until he worked with him.

The apple does not fall far from the tree, er, the acorn reflects the oak, er, they're both substantial men. But they own a Lear jet, so you'll never have to worry about being squished between them on a coast-to-coast hop as they go from their school in Palm Springs to the one in Boca Raton. Thoughtful, no?

The wire robot just proves Pelz's points. It certainly was damn convincing to me when I saw that the arc swing was an optical illusion.

Not everyone is Bobby Locke.

Oh, yeah, he was a + hcp in his chubby youth.

Bring it on, boys.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
"on"!

Like whenever you try to get into one of those fancy nightclubs in the Port and they say "Sorry, you can't get in, you're not on the list, ya wee Jocko poof in yer wee kilt. On yer way pal".

Am I getting the hang of it now?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Onto the subject in hand, I have read stuff by both guys. Rotella wrote "Golf is not a game of perfect", right? He also wrote something on putting, which I have read and stuffed in a box somewhere. I kinda lean towards him as putting is all about feel imho. Yes, I will accept that some of the mechanics have to be there, but you have to be there mentally there to hole a 10ft. clutch putt. No matter how pure the stroke, the visualisation thing is essential. IMO Bob Boy does that better.

I just wish I could take the advice. All things considered I am a crap putter, and practice as I might, I cannot get consistency from one day to the next. On any given day I cannot get the ball in the hole.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
On any given day I cannot get the ball in the hole.

IG, you talking about golf here? ;)

Farquod, you bring up some good points.
And while I do not know much about Rotella, except some of his occasional insights I read in golf mags, here are the things I do know about Pelz:
- Pelz makes statistics about putting style and grips. Seen a whole article devoted to it. I fail to see how this can be useful, except that "Oh I have a putting style like 60% on the guys on Tour...".
- A Pelz show on TGC about statistics on ball closest to the hole when chipping, sand save and putting depending on the player's handicap. In short, his conclusion is that the hacker hacks, and the scratch play good.... Please tell me this show is super useful.
- Seen an article on how to skip a ball on the water.
- A show on how to read greens and breaks, when actually all he tells about is that people under read greens. So the point is, he didn't tell us how to read greens...
- A show on stimpmeter and his marketing for a Pelz meter.
- Does he teach technique? Absolutely not.
- Does he teach something new, like chipping the same, but with a different club? No.
- Does he take us for stupid when he tells us that people don't hit the sweetspot and that they should? Yes.
- Is he a NASA scientist? I guess.
- Does he get a fat paycheck? Absolutely.
- He and his son are sweating like bulls. Ever heard of RightGuard?

And I told this once, but I read somewhere that one day he took some time off to play golf and he shot 84. A great score for a short game teacher....

Wow! Huge ramblings....

🔥 Latest posts