• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Penal Bunkers

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I just finished reading an article about the first round of the Memorial and was surprised to find so many negative comments about the bunkers on the course. Jack apparently decided to remove every other tooth from the bunker rakes to create wide furrows with peaks and valleys rather than the fine manicured sand that the pros have become used to. To be quite honest, I applaud this move. Bunkers should be difficult to get out of (there are for me, anyway :D). Harvey Penik suggested such a move several years ago in one of his books (I forget which one as I have read them all several times) as he too thought that bunker shots were becoming too easy for the touring pro. He thought that the wide furrows or completely unraked traps would present enough of a hazard to prevent pros from aiming for the bunkers to stay out of other hazards or trouble areas.

With today's game becoming more about power and less about accuracy, I have no problem with courses trying to preserve the challange by increasing the difficulty for off line shots. Bunkers are hazards, they should be avoided. It kind of irked me a bit to listen to a few tour pros tear into Jack about the difficult bunkers. Yes, your going to get some complaining as you are changing things up a bit without a lot of notice, but come on, they are professionals. They should be able to avoid the bunkers if they pose such a hazzard. It is no different than the bunkers on most of the Open Championship venues in the UK. There are bunkers on courses, such as St. Andrews, that need to be avoided if you expect to score par or better. How many pros aim for the Road Hole bunker on 17 to avoid the road?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I like this idea. Hazards should be just that - hazards.

Rough should be "rough", sand "traps" should be traps and fairways lined with trees should be filled with brush.

Do these 3 things and watch scores balloon.

R35

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I think they could use to be a bit more penal.

Maybe they could even hire a couple of thugs to jump the guy, or even just stand there, looking intimidating. I'd like to see the game get more edgy, a bit more physical.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
I think they could use to be a bit more penal.

Maybe they could even hire a couple of thugs to jump the guy, or even just stand there, looking intimidating. I'd like to see the game get more edgy, a bit more physical.

Full contact golf?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
agreed,it will aid the shorter straighter hitters

pros should have to think on the tee,they should be forced to control the ball,shape it both ways,not to stand there and smack it

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
my way of life is coming to an end..... bomb and gouge is just so fun though...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Some of the bunkers are too easy on the courses I play. I can get a SW to spin and stop out of one and another I've hit the the green uphill over 200yds. with a 3/4 5w. If I can pull that crap off I'm sure the pros have no problem whatsoever.

🔥 Latest posts