• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Penalized for hitting the ball straight.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Par 30 course in Fitchburg & the 4th hole is a 280 yd par 4. For some reason the fairway is not inline with the tee box & green. There is a creek about 250 yds out but it doesn't affect the fairway at all. Anyways if you aim at the pin & hit the ball straight you will end up in some pretty crappy rough. The fairway is about 20-30 yds to the right of a nice straight line between the tee & green. makes no damn sense at all why someone would design it that way.

Ever heard of a dogleg? I assume you have the same problem with those...

The purpose is obviously "DON'T GO FOR THE GREEN."

Course management, dude.

This isn't a dogleg & looking from the tee box you assume the fairway is in front of you, not 30 yds off to the right.

So it's shaped like this....

( Green )

xxxxxxx |.....F.....|
xxxxxxx |.....W....|
xxxxxxx |.....A.....|
xxxxxxx |.....Y.....|
xxxxxxx |............|

( Tee )

Still seems like a pretty obvious play. Is the fairway hidden or something? I would play it just like the rough was water. If you can't hit it over, hit it safe into the fairway. Lay up.

To me it just sounds like an interesting course management issue, and possibly designed that way. How wide is the fairway? It is only 280yards. I would find the club you know will sit down in the fairway. I could hit 2 x 7irons to the green, and couldn't imagine it would not stop in the fairway. If it is wider, I would imagine even my 7w would sit down and leave me a SW to the green.

What do you hit off the tee?

We have a par 4 on a course I frequent that requires a 5i then 6i to the green. There is really no other logical choice. It is only about 315 yards but is one of the more challenging holes on the course.

So it's shaped like this....

( Green )

xxxxxxx |.....F.....|
xxxxxxx |.....W....|
xxxxxxx |.....A.....|
xxxxxxx |.....Y.....|
xxxxxxx |............|

( Tee )

Still seems like a pretty obvious play. Is the fairway hidden or something? I would play it just like the rough was water. If you can't hit it over, hit it safe into the fairway. Lay up.

yep that's the shape & no you cannot see the fairway from the tee box. There is a forced carry over a pond with catttails & other crap that hides the view. Once you play the course the 1st time then you are aware of it & it's a none issue really. But for 1st timers it sucks to nail a decent tee shot that you think is in the fairway only to find out it's actually buried in the rough.

Rough schmuph... you got a spin-mill don't you?
icon10.gif

You are talking about Nine Springs Golf Course?? If so I've played hole. But the nature of the course is not to be logical. Has a par 3 also that is near Fish Hatch Road. Overhanging limbs from tee to green A machete is the club of choice. But at $12 one can not complain to much. I do remember I had a tough time figuring out if I was on in regulation. Fairway,fringe and green were pretty much the same. But for $12!!!!!

Dude, 280 is totally drivable.
Fairway shmairway. You did the right thing whether or not you intended to or not. Next time just knowingly go for that shit.

Must have used "the Hammer"!!! :D

Nah, he'd have been way over the green with The Hammer.
icon12.gif

Come to think of it there is a hole like that at a course I play. It's way downhill listed at 325 and the green has a pond in front. If you were to hit it straight it'd be in the rough or pond. You have to go out left or try to drive it. I actually drove it with a 3W so it's way, way less than 325 to get there.

Dude, 280 is totally drivable.
Fairway shmairway. You did the right thing whether or not you intended to or not. Next time just knowingly go for that shit.

Maybe for you it is, i'm not an internet golfer & no way no how am I coming close to approaching 280.

Are you saying I am?
We need to go golfing some time.

Nope, not at all. I have seena few of your drives & they are pretty decent. I am saying that I am not an internet golfer who claims to drive the ball 300 yds.

You did say 280 though so why would you need 300?

Carry it 260ish let it die in the front (either fade or slice) and it'll roll up close?

Or am I mising something?

FYI you see this ALOT in desert/target style golf in AZ, annoying as crap because you play 18 without taking anything more than a 3/4 iron or maybe a 2 iron out......almost sold my driver when lived in Tucson, plus instead of rough its rocks/sand/saguaro's/snakes etc and you destroy your club when hitting out of it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520